Where my night riders at?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazlx, Nov 6, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'm really looking to make sure I get some miles in this winter and hoping to get out at night at least once per week. It would be rad to maybe set a consistent thing up if anyone is interested. I'm really only familiar with STT/Luge and then possibly Floop *cringe* if necessary. It would be rad to ride some other routes and just meet up with some people that are interested in the same. It's been a while since I've consistently done night rides. The Luge was always my weekly go to. Who's in?!

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    It’s too scary riding at night :eek:

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I’m dealing with a couple health related issues but once I am back to riding I will be in. During the week I can’t be out late, I get up at 3:45am so even getting home later than 9pm is not an option for my schedule.

I get some stitches out tomorrow so that’s the easy part, just dermatology stuff. Blood test Friday to help see why I am feeling very “off” lately so hoping I can pull out of this funk. Can’t even walk around without getting dizzy the past few days so hoping it’s nothing major.

When I get out of this I am motivated to get back my fitness.

~JB~, herzalot, Luis and 7 others like this.
  4. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Another option is with the Irvine Ranch Conservatory:

https://letsgooutside.org/

I've done night rides at Limestone Canyon with the above, usually about 15 mile loop. I see 2 upcoming events:

11/21 and 12/19.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    4E9CA651-B0CE-4FD8-A1E2-2A63ADDEEDFA.jpeg

Cisco Roots, ~JB~, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Classic!^^^
    I'm in! But I'm too far away. Riding tonight at P12. P12 is a great place to ride at night! Nothing like chasing Kangaroo Rats and Bunnies!

CBone, ~JB~, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ride at night?!?! That’s just crazy talk. :p

herzalot, Mikie, Luis and 8 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm not skeered of the dark, but kaz's newfound motivation is a little intimidating. Good thing I'm unavailable!???!

Keep killing, @kazlx :thumbsup:

herzalot, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  9. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    not that crazy with 7000 lumens of light. Anything less then that's crazy for sure.

Mikie, Luis, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I'd definitely be interested. I'm really close to joining the Thurs night blackstar ride. @mtnbikej & @Faust29 are familiar with that one. Maybe one of them can chime in.

herzalot, Mikie, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  11. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'd be down for that!

Mikie, mtnbikej, Redman and 4 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't have half that on San Juan last night. I must be loco! :D

IMG_0238.jpg

I used to post up a ride every Wednesday night, but there weren't many takers- with the exceptions of: @mike , @Grego , @calvin, @singlespeedrider , @Ebruner and probably a couple more that I'm forgetting. There were some really memorable rides in there, but it was usually just me and @mtnbikej . Maple to Motorway was our normal route at a decent pace, with the occasional Black Star to Motorway and Old Camp thrown in. There was a stretch where I had gone down Motorway more times in the dark than in the daylight. :inlove: If there's snow, a trip to the peak was also possible. Although there were a few nights we didn't make it past Four Corners before we froze. :D :thumbsup:

It seems like this year San Juan is our go to night ride, but I'd like to add some of the others back in. :thumbsup:

herzalot, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Not my ride... But there are always a bunch of people out there on Thursday evenings. In the winter, it's a steady stream of headlights.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, mike and 3 others like this.
  14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    If you can get to South County, the Docent ride is pretty cool on Wednesdays. Trails I've never heard of and $5 for a Sammy and beer

15. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'm just unfamiliar with the routes, so it would be nice to go out there with some people that know where they are going. I haven't ridden Blackstar/Motorway/Maple much.

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I don't go out every week (at night) but I am quite familiar with all of those trails. I can't always get free, but with enough lead-time I can usually make a ride. Give me a shout if you are looking for a riding partner!

Also, Jim (@Rumpled ) hasn't posted his Winter Solstice Ride yet, but that will be a night ride on Blackstar on or around Dec 21. I have gone on the last two of those, and they are a great time!

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If one were to post up night rides, what would be the preferred starting time for this group?

18. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Faust29 I’m good for anything after 5pm. I work in Anacrime by Dland & get off work @ Foh! I need to get some more use out of my lights.

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Gonna opt out on this question... because for me earlier is easier. If I can get to the mountains before rush hour it truly can save me 15 minutes of driving nightmare.

HOWEVER... I know most people work for a living, so I am flexible :)

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    1000 lumens divided between bars and helmet will get ya thru pretty much anything.

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    You are already familiar with STT/Luge....add in the climb to Cadillac or Old Camp(you can't get lost).

Blackstar to Beeks....same thing, follow the stream of lights. Can't get lost out there, it's a fire road out and back.

The other rides(BS/MW, MS/MW, Harding) are longer rides....and this usually take more time than most people are willing to do after work.

@Faust29 is right.....rides were regularly posted up, and it was the exception when we'd get another rider to join. We really didn't miss many night rides last winter, even with the rain, cold, snow, ice, freezing.

My Thursday Night Social is open to anyone, but we are prompt. If we say 5:00 roll time, we roll at 5:00. I just need a heads up if you are gonna make it. It's social, but we keep moving. It's not ride 10 mins, stop, shoot the Sh!t for 10 mins, ride, rinse and repeat. However we generally don't hammerfest it either. We start at the Tree Farm.

Derek13, Cornholio, kazlx and 6 others like this.
  22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

They usually break these up into groups based on ability, if the turnout is high.

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

pffffffft.....you don't fear what you can't see.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Meh.....no lights is way more fun.

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    yeah, but you still had 2 lights. :whistling:

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Fortunately, they are all very straightforward.

Just be prepared to not see anyone out there. I think that is one of the reasons we enjoy it.

Once you go passed Beeks, you are on your own. Maple Springs, sometimes you see vehicles, but once up around 4 Corners, everyone goes away. San Juan, we haven't seen anyone on any of the rides.

Faust29, mike, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Two 750’s and a 900. I’m not skeered!
    Tonight at P12...
    3C863CB4-3E61-4841-B72E-0CCD9B73A421.jpeg

Cisco Roots, ~JB~, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  28. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I did quit a few night rides out here in Phoenix in August. It is away to beat the heat. The last few months that whole job and family thing keep getting in the way of riding

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  29. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Impromptu Luge ride last night. My lights work good enough for that, although I do think I need a better setup for some other stuff. Even managed to bust a ton of PRs which made it that much better!

26DD86D5-5B45-460E-A02A-33A596FE20F1.jpeg

D1F9C51C-951E-4AC4-9069-544147E20D53.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, bvader, Danimal and 10 others like this.
  30. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I'm off at 5. I started Luge last night around 6:30. I know some people prob want to start as early as possible. Every now and then I could probably jam out of work a bit early, but not on a regular weekly basis.

Bruh. I work for Anaheim at City Hall right at Lincoln/Anaheim Blvd. I'm off at 5 though.

I'm definitely open to whatever. I'm off at 5 but could occasionally make semi-earlier rides. I'm going to start looking around for a bit better lighting setup. I'd probably like to have bars and helmet. I have been on a couple rides where my rinky dink rig didn't really cut it. They are old and work ok but I would like to start making it routine and I know there's trails these won't work all that great. Plus, it would be nice to have them as extras to invite some friends out to get them hooked.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?