The Backcountry bike shop, Truckee CA

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by mike, Oct 14, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    In Truckee looking for a shop? The Backcountry on Donner Lake Rd took care of my small parts walk-in issue like champs.

The other shop I tried? "Come back Monday with a part number and we can order it." Dafukk? You have a bin of loose parts right there, and my parts right in your hand for comparison. Charge some labor if you have to, but at least try. The Backcountry stopped what they were doing and fished through a bin until I had exactly what I needed. Of course they were rewarded with fine beverages on top of the small parts charge.

2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Awesome! It's hard to believe there are still shops out there that live in the Stone Age and can't be bothered. Then they wonder why they go out of business.

Faust29, mtnbikej, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    In fairness, a couple of other shops in Truckee have also bailed me out of small parts dilemmas on the spot:

Cycle Paths on Pioneer Way
    Start Haus on 89 near Save-Mart

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Glad to hear that there are some quality shops up there in the forest. I dint realize that Truckee was big enough to house multiple bike shops. I thought it was more of a one horse town?

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Small, yes – three freeway exits. But like any ski town, it accommodates a disproportionately high population of local and visiting enthusiasts.

Faust29, rossage, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    "We can order that for you..." :Roflmao

That used to be a thing.

Like you, I love it when a shop takes a second to actually help. I told my wife "The Path always has a two week wait - they won't drop what they're doing to install a bottom bracket at 3 pm on a Saturday." But I asked. And they did. 10 minutes. $20. :thumbsup:

Faust29, rossage, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Truckee beats a drive to Reno, unless you're goin to the dispo... :)

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You got my number, pal. :thumbsup:

Oddly, the shops in Reno seem, overall, inferior to the selection out here. There is REI in a pinch. Yes, and Reno is the home of Black Rock Cycles...the group that went silent on me after I rejected the used RF Next crankset with the DM ring welded on with the might of an army, forcing me into a PayPal dispute. Stay classy, Reno!

herzalot, rossage, Redman and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?