Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Health' started by Derkderkall, Jun 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Bruh. Don't leave a box of Thin Mints within range.

Faust29, mike, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Munchies in my fasting window: water or black coffee. Munchies in my feeding window: nom nom nom on whatever I want.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, mike and 7 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Eat food whenever hungry – all day, every day. No "meal" thinking, just calories in/out at whatever intervals desired and in whatever quantity. Not so easy if you have offspring, a structured life, or if you chose the wrong parents. Not sure what my daily calorie intake looks like, but it's pretty low, and I attribute that to constant grazing. FWIW; drifting.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    In my wife's fasting window she says she can eat 50 calories and it won't screw her up. So she keeps mini carrots around.

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I could see that. One of the people that I pay a lot of attention to is Dr. Peter Attia, and I heard him answer the question "what breaks a fast?". His response was basically that it depends on why you're fasting. Basically if you're fasting for weight control or body composition something like a few carrots probably won't heart, but it might be counter productive if autophagy, or digestive rest is your goal. Likewise, coffee (one of most debated things in relation to fasting) would probably enhance something like autophagy, and weight control, but would be very disruptive to the benefits to digestive rest, or circadian rhythm regulation.

6. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I am still fasting but now waking later, work keeps me late and does not pay for the time. So now I come in later so the free time is not too much per day.
    Weight comes off slow, but screw up one day and it rockets up. Then you reset and begin again. I am having a more difficult time getting out everyday. This week I am 3 for 5. I need to manage time better.
    Happy 3 out of 5 days are better than none trails

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Dammit I just ate a pint of ice cream after dinner.

BonsaiNut, Faust29, CBone and 2 others like this.
  8. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Just fast all day tomorrow and you’re golden lol.

9. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I’ve been pretty much settling on one meal a day, usually dinner with the family. Been hitting the gym every day at 5am before work on a 3 day split and stationary bike the other two days. Lowest I’ve been in a long time at 235 and feeling pretty damn awesome. Still need to trim the belly fat but the gut has been cut way back. Feeling like a badass lately. So much more energy.

max protein tonight. 3 eggs, top sirloin, sausage, grilled onions and goat cheese. Planned on spinach but the wife missed my text at the store. Skipped the pasta the family was having.

06416971-D10D-4015-AF92-32713698F514.jpeg

HBkites, Redman, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    For comparison:

I'm right at 163 lbs' (disclaimer: 5' 7"), and have been between 155 and 165 for about 3 years now. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I do not get the chance to ride as much as I'd like, but I do have a trainer in the garage.

I'm not going to tell you not to do the intermittent fasting, but keep in mind that our forebear hunter-gatherers adapted to feast and famine syndrome and we aren't all that far removed from them physiologically. If you deny your body food, it will hoard what it does get. This will affect your endurance and strength and ultimately your lifespan.

It worked for our ancestors because they didn't live much beyond 30 or 40 years anyway.

The studies have been done. If you don't keep your body fueled, it will find other ways to compensate. The results are generally not conducive to good health.

Food for thought.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It'm sure it's been said in this thread somewhere...

I fast between every snack and meal.

mountaingirl sara, Faust29 and scan like this.
  12. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    That’s the thing. I’m really not denying my body food. I’m just actually trying to split my hunger away from bad habits/timing/whatever else. It’s just been an eye opening way to realize for a lot of people there’s a big difference between what you think you need and what you actually need.

There are millions of people across all different religions that have used fasting for various reasons. Ultimately it boils down to different strokes for different folks. My main goal is to trim down and then fine tune what I feel like at that point and experiment. If I need to eat around a workout, if so, before or after, etc.

Just from experience, I have no problems doing decent sized rides fasted (way before starting this) from 10-20 miles and 2500ft. I actually prefer it. I have way more energy. Same goes for the gym. No matter what time I have gone, I’ve always been able to lift more and harder without food. When I was hitting the gym 5-6 days a week after college, my buddies and I would always come home from work, lift, then get dinner. I was in the best shape of my life.

I’m just on a quest to find what works the best for me, be aware of the idea that I don’t always need to eat just because of social cues and just find a method that allows me to perform at a satisfactory athletic level and maintain what I feel like is healthy weight for me. I’m sure it’s a combo, but I’ve had mounds more energy lately and look a hell of a lot better in the mirror. I’ve been crushing it in the gym completely fasted usually on just dinner from the previous night.

My next step is to start getting more serious about portions and nutrition. Not for eternity, but to give myself a better mental picture of what I need and what I’m actually taking in. Plus, trying to moderate calories for long term. It’s not hard for me to go off the rails so number 1 goal is create something sustainable for me. That’s all.

13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @kazlx great job to you young man! IMO part of your next step should be eating full organic non-gmo foods. This will benefit you more than portion control. GMO foods have lots of bad stuff in them that can be making you feel bad without even knowing it. Stay away from GMO non-organic foods, especially those with added preservatives. Everyone should be eating non-GMO organic foods. Yes, it is a PITA to shop for this stuff. It gets easier with experience. Most of our stuff is ordered online and delivered to us as a weekly subscription. Including all the meat we eat... Butcher Box for the win!

14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    At the risk of asking a question you basically already answered, your experience with Butcher Box has been good? I've been meaning to sign us up for it, and keep forgetting to.

*scratch that last part. Since I was sitting here anyway I just ordered our first box. Thanks for the prompt.

15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Nothing but great results so far. We've been using them for about 6 months now. The only meat we but at the grocery store is lunch meat. And, that is 100% clean w/ no preservative/nitrates/etc.

I wish I woulda known you were gonna sign up. If you use me as a referral you'd get free bacon for life. Or something to that affect, we used a friend as a referral and we get 1lb of ground beef for free with each order. Let me know if you want to try that, it may still work. I think I would need your email, so I can refer you.

IF you are looking for organic produce, look at imperfectproduce.com. They have an organic options and the pricing is hard to beat, since all the produce is not aesthetically acceptable by most food stores.

16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I appreciate that. There was actually a promo through a podcast that I listen to that was $20 off the first order and then 2lbs of ground beef for life. Guessing you probably can't double up, and I've got a go-to bacon already. I'll post up when my first box arrives. I like the concept, and the price is really reasonable.

17. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    So quick update. I've still been fasting occasionally, but not nearly as much. My weight loss definitely has definitely slowed, but still relatively steady. I've really been more focused on good meals that I enjoy, just making better choices on food that I like. I'm not going crazy with quinoa or anything. Just really cut out the junk food, paying more attention and tracking calories/macros (more for my own info because I never have) and trying to hit 200g of protein most every day. I've really been pushing harder in the gym and just don't really want to do it on an empty tank. I feel freaking awesome lately. Up at 4:30 every day to hit the gym, even this last Friday when the wife and I had the day off to head off to Vegas for our anniversary. Plus got another workout (3 mile walk and 1 hour session) at the hotel gym. Really just getting into the groove and setting my pace. I'm really enjoying being up in the morning and having somewhat of a routine and time to myself instead of just rolling out of bed and staggering into work. Seeing results and having people notice is definitely motivation. Also feeling significantly better on the bike the last couple weeks. Might even embarrass myself with some pics at some point. About to crack 230 for the first time in a long time. Goal has been 215, but will see how hard it is to cut down a little past that and approach 200 if possible.

18. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Dude...

https://fasturdaysracingalliance.com/

I'm intrigued...

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and Redman like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I gotta say, Butcher Box is rad. Pricing for what you get, while not amazing, seems solid. Convenience is great, and I've been really pleased with the quality of the meat, particularly the ground beef and the NY Strips. The add-on specials are really nice too. Best thing is it is making us be more disciplined about cooking at home, and expanding our repertoire in the kitchen. I'm really stoked we took the plunge, and I'm sure we'll continue to make good use of the service.

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Dammit guys, I’m hungry!

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I just took a chuck roast out of the freezer to thaw. Pot Roast will be in the slow cooker all day tomorrow.

22. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That there pot roast makes for some good fuel to pedal a bike uphill!

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    My wife fasted yesterday, so today will be brats and corn on the cob. :)

kazlx, Faust29 and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    [QUOTE="DangerDirtyD, post: 196329, member: 133"That there pot roast makes for some good fuel to pedal a bike uphill![/QUOTE]
    This thread is still about fasting, right? Technically I’m fasting from now until dinner, so this is totes on topic. I’m also riding tomorrow morning. Theoretically there could be a better smell in the food world than what’s going on in the second pic. Theoretically.

F6468D36-E0DF-450B-9E02-D11C4D7DE537.jpeg

A1AB7AEE-2057-4002-BCA9-C70E701D7333.jpeg

7F53B86B-0E4D-4F4F-881C-E6FCFAC934D2.jpeg

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  25. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    This thread is still about fasting, right? Technically I’m fasting from now until dinner, so this is totes on topic. I’m also riding tomorrow morning. Theoretically there could be a better smell in the food world than what’s going on in the second pic. Theoretically.

[/QUOTE]
    Tomorrow is gonna feel good. :thumbsup:

herzalot, CBone, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  26. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Cutting back Red meat (to 10% of previous usage), and focusing on a plant-based diet makes more sense to me as an endurance "athlete".
    I do like to ride fasted in the morning, but I don't skip meals.
    I start my day with a tall glass of water (with lemon at times), and when I load up my plate with food I load it up first with the green veggies.
    I try to have 2-3 days of veggies only. On the other days, I eat less animal products.
    My next challenge is eliminating sugar and chocolate (my kryptonite).

Redman, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  27. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I'm right there with you on the suger and chocolate. Freaking Nestle Toll House cookie dough!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?