E13 props due! 12 spd upgrade kit.

Discussion in 'Drive Trains' started by Redman, Sep 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I upgraded my Sram XO1 11 spd to 12spd going with E13's 12spd upgrade kit. I've been running it with minimal issues. Their upgrade kit requires you to partially disassemble the shifter. Changing out the 11 spd spool with a 12 spd one. Simple enough right? It took several tries before I got it dialed. Once within the first few hundred miles an internal screw in the shifter that holds the geared spool in place backed out while I was riding and got stuck with a single speed for the rest of the ride. I was able to put it back together myself successfully back at home. It took several tries and the whole shifter pod assy came apart several times. Which shouldn't happen according to E13's instructions.
    Fast forward to the Plunge ride we did last Saturday. Right before we got to the cabin it happened again, the same screw backed out allowing the geared spool to rise above the indexing arm. I managed to get two gears from the cabin all the way to the end. It sucked but, it was still a kick ass ride overall.
    Earlier this week I attempted to rebuild the shifter a second time. I had it almost fully put back together several times and at the last moment the damn thing would come apart from the pressure of one of 3 springs inside the shifter pod. Anyhow, I got really frustrated and decided to call E13 hoping they had some secret video or instructional pdf or something that could guide me CORRECTLY on how to reassemble the shifter without issue. They have nothing in instruction that details how to reassemble the whole shifter from step 1. Chris @ E13 was my savior for this fiasco. He offered to send me (overnight) a loaner 12 spd shifter. And, for me to send my blown apart shifter back to E13 postage paid. They are going to put my shifter back together and make sure I don't have this issue again. In the meantine, I got a 12spd shifter to use until they send mine back. They are also picking up the postage when I return the loaner.

Just wanted to share my experience with their customer service, especially Chris. Thanks E13 for saving my sanity, my knuckles, and my blown apart shifter.

E13 for the win! @Redman can ride his bike this weekend! YAY!!!!!

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This very cool that calling the boys up got it straightened around for you. Maybe you should make the video. You’ll be famous!

Faust29, mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I wanted a spring with more return force for my TRS+ seatpost. I contacted eThirteen support and they sent me a new spring free.
    I'm liking eThirteen too!

Faust29, mike, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  4. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Mikie ,famous making a fool of myself.

Faust29, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Props for an upgrade touted as user installable but doesn’t work after multiple tries, has no instructions, hoses you on a ride, requires giving up, sending part of your bike away in lieu of a loaner? They made you insane; caused you hours of fiddling and worry, plus forced you into shipping and receiving mode.

How did you spin this into a success story? There’s a future for you in PR.

Sounds like the e13 I know...so advanced it doesn’t work correctly.

6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @mike it’s all perspective. They saved me from losing my Sh!t trying to put it back together. Also, from not being able to ride this weekend.

I understand your POV & don’t necessarily disagree with you. I like to think my cup is always half full. They could’ve told me I was SOL & on my own.

mike, scottay, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was going to purchase a spring but they offered it up... I agree with the advanced/over-engineered part. The lever is a mess. Went back to the Wolftooth almost immediately

mike, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 5 others like this.
  8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I love my E13 dropper lever. It has work flawlessly for me, as well the dropper.

mike, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 3 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The cabling sucks and the unit is too big. You have to thread a perfectly cut cable through a tiny hole and then through the clamp, which moves when you try to tighten it from the other side, blind, and with your third hand. Ha!

Grego, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Yeah its trial and error, but a lot of posts are that way, so I have adjusting them down pretty good.

rossage and mike like this.