New to the area

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Jball, Aug 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. Jball

Jball Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Justin
    Current Bike:
    Schwinn Frontier
    I am currently in the market for a new bike. Not sure if the area would dictate needing a full suspension or just s hard tail. I currently don't have any so either is an upgrade i am pretty novice rider and dont want to get in an upgrade battle with myself and i do have budget restriction to around 1200 max. This is my first forum so be gentle lol

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Welcome and good luck with your purchase! :thumbsup::cool:

Old&InTheWay, Fueledbyex8 and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    No worries. Thanks for joining.
    So let me lay out there what I have available and you can make up your mind.
    I was just sharing with some friends that I am ready to sell my 2012 Yeti ASR 5c.
    • Frame Size is: Large Full Suspension all Composite Frame and Swing Arm
    • 26 Inch Wheel Size - WTB i23 Rims laced to Chris King Hubs
    • Chris King Headset
    • Upgraded Fork to 36 150mm Fox Float
    • 1X11 Transmission
    • Sram XX0 Rear Derailluer
    • Sram XX0 Grip Shift
    • Shimano XT Ice Tech Brakes
    • Composite Bars
    • Gravity Dropper Seat Post
    • WTB Saddle
    • Purchase includes brand new in the box Maxxis DHRII Tire, Schwalbe Hans Dampf, A Brand new in the Box Chris King Rear Hub Tool for a complete tear down (never been used Purchased for $180 bucks.
    Price: $1100.00
    I will post pics of it tonight if I have time.

Why am I selling it? I have a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower and I want to get a Hard Tail for different type of riding.

As a starter bike there will be no reason for upgrades. This bike is the bomb.
    If you are interested let me know.

Mikie

4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Welcome! If you try this Mtb thing, you're hooked. So watch out for the pusher man!

@Mikie loved this bike. And I think for a first bike, not knowing what you want/need this is a pretty good first step.
    Although the wheel size isn't currently hip, everything else is Da Chit. But, willl the bike fit you? That's probably the first most important question to ask.
    Those hubs and headset alone will last until the next ice age.

5. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Welcome NooB!!!!! buy a bike, and ride it like you stole it from Debo! Lots of good peeps on this forum, you came to the right place to get opinions.

SHRED THE GNAR!!!

6. Jball

Jball Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Justin
    Current Bike:
    Schwinn Frontier

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  7. Jball

Jball Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Justin
    Current Bike:
    Schwinn Frontier
    Thanks i am currently in Minnesota and have been riding but my bike is not matching. I am looking at hard tails but does full suspension work better on the trails?

8. Jball

Jball Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Justin
    Current Bike:
    Schwinn Frontier
    Considier it shredded

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Full suspension will provide a more comfy ride. Hard tails will climb better and pedal more efficiently. I have one of each because I like both. We have a mix of tame XC trails and technical trails. We have a lot of climbing here too. If you are used to riding a hard tail, perhaps that would suit your needs. If you've never ridden a full suspension or at least, not a modern full suspension bike, do yourself a favor and demo a few. Demo everything you are interested in. It's well worth the effort. You'll see how different bikes from different manufacturers ride and feel unique in their own ways. Don't be in a rush to make a purchase.

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That would depend on the trail.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Welcome!

The kind of bike we would recommend will be based on the kind of riding you like to do.

Generally speaking, the more technical rocky downhill you do, the more important having a squishy bike will be (full suspension, long travel forks, etc). The more you go in this direction, generally the heavier the bike will be (built to take some abuse) and the more difficult it will be to take it for long trail rides.

If you prefer long paved trails by the beach, suspension will be meaningless, and you will want a bike that is effortless to pedal.

Cross-country biking will be a little blend of both.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ohhh, in that case, hard tail for sure:
    brands_1423788730_winterbike1.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hard Tail or Full Suspension? Whatever you want and can afford! You can get a better quality hard tail than full sus at the same price point. Hard tails help you learn better riding habits. Almost all trails can be ridden on either, but how comfortable and how fast? Just get a bike and start riding. You will figure out what you want as you progress.

Welcome!

BTW - I will never buy another hard tail. But I cut my chops on a HT, and I am glad I did.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Jball, welcome to the forum. A good place to rev up the stoke...

Get back west ASAP, grab a used full-squish bike and start hammering your local trails. Hardtails are fun if you're young and can take a beating, but piloting your bike through hideous terrain at speed will put a smile all over your face, and that is best done with suspension. If you wanna ride "flow trails" and "XC," forget my advice. What you like to ride dictates what bike you should move toward.

Good luck, we're here to consult.

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
  16. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    If you dig through this forum you'll probably find a ton of answers on the few threads I started. A few months ago I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Now I'm on my second full suspension bike. Both bikes were purchased used through this forum, and my girlfriend's was as well. I wouldn't buy a used bike anywhere else because you never know how "used" a bike really is. The people on this forum are legit and trustworthy. The Motobecane I bought from Bonsainut was an excellent first bike at the right price. He spent a good 45 minutes going over the bike with me. The second bike I purchased was for my girlfriend, 2014 Giant Trance from Grego, I still can't believe the deal I got on the bike. My girlfriend loves it and she has absolutely no complaints. The 3rd bike I purchased was a Santa Cruz Bronson 2014 from stkx66. I absolutely love the bike and I think I got a wonderful deal. If my mountainbikeology of imtbtrails doesn't give you the confidence you need in purchasing a used bike here then I don't know what will.

Luis, Fueledbyex8, Redman and 15 others like this.
  17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Only three bikes? Pick up the pace! :)

Fueledbyex8, Mikie, Danimal and 7 others like this.
  18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I know of a well-appointed medium-sized FS bike that will be hitting the IMTBT classies in the near future. Good for a person around 5-4 to 5-8 in height.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Just don't post up anything for sale for a bit...

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    He hasn't been back since the day he joined. We already scared him off!

21. Jball

Jball Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Justin
    Current Bike:
    Schwinn Frontier
    Sorry work got me busy

mike, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    No excuse! You can post while you work. I checked with your boss, it's OK! :sneaky: :whistling:

~JB~, Luis, Fueledbyex8 and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?