Tailwind...

Discussion in 'Health' started by BonsaiNut, Sep 25, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Probably better on a root beer float:rolleyes:

2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So after all the talk (joking) about "winning" the IMTB social ride, I realized when we were pulling into the parking lot that I was actually the very last rider. Is there some kind of money back guarantee with this Tailwind stuff? Apparently it didn't work.

Seriously though, 4 scoops of Tropical Buzz (caffeinated) + 2 scoops of Naked (not caffeinated) in my bladder with 85 oz of water, and I was golden for the whole ride. Had probably 3 sips left when we pulled in. I'm officially a fan.

mike, herzalot, Voodoo Tom and 6 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You were last only because I wasn't there. :cool:

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Hey, I didn’t say I was slowest. Just last. ;-)

mike, SnakeCharmer, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    You're going to have to change that promo code to FLOOP Social!

mtnbikej, SnakeCharmer and Mikie like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I can do that! :thumbsup:

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    A new flavor of tailwind rebuild came out. I think @Faust29 will be all over this...

Screenshot_20200106-091023_Yahoo Mail.jpg

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    They had unlabeled demo packs of this available a couple years ago... I bought a few. It was pretty decent. :thumbsup:

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh:

mike, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :facepalm: What the...…..
    A new Expresso to recovery...:rolleyes:
    I'll wait to someone asks for it before I stock it. :whistling:

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Delivery today! Got the recovery stuff for the kids as they burn through mucho calories on practice days.

IMG_20200128_153623_326.jpg

Faust29, CBone, mike and 10 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yay! Those guys at imtbgear rock! :thumbsup::whistling:;)

imtbtrails so appreciates your support! :cool:

13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Talked it up a bit on IG as well, maybe sending more business the IMTB way!

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I hope that's your personal stash – looks like a sampler package for a group of teenage athletes!!!!

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, pretty much that!

16. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    This Powder EPO better be good! ;-)

herzalot, mike, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    What could possibly go wrong!?!?!

18. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Hahahah.. that open ended question leaves opportunity for so many horror stories. I'm not even going to look in that doorway!

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well it’s already been shipped rockstah. You gonna find out and be VERY pleased.
    Mikie Watson full guarantee!

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A flavor of TW that you don't care for is like an ugly bike. It still kicks ass. :)

21. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Am I reading the bag instructions correctly? Consume 24 oz per hour for endurance rides? Thats a lot to drink

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    For my bigger rides I put 4 scoops in a tall bottle and that will last me 3-4 hours at a moderate pace. 24 oz per hour may apply under race conditions?

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Erik, here is how I use Tailwinds.
    I prefer my CamelBak. I have a 70 ounce and a 100 ounce. I rarely use my water bottle for tailwinds.

I treat it as just consuming water and regulate my energy if I need to sip more.
    I found that 2 scoops per 25 ounces works best for me. It’s a light flavoring so I rarely get burned out on taste. I have done an easy 8 hours of riding on 100 ounces of water laced with tailwinds.

Others here are more camel like than me. I need lots of water so I regulate how concentrated based on my consumption needs.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Drink at your normal rate... I'm probably closer to 1/2 of what they recommend.

You can play with the strength of the mix, though. The recommended 2 scoops is what I go with when it's cool out and when I'm not pushing the pace too hard. I'll go to one scoop if it's a short local ride... If it's 100 degrees, I've gone as high as 4 scoops. You can also keep a clean water source- sip from the tailwind bottle with a sip of plain water as a chaser. That allows me to stretch a heavily mixed bottle as if it were two bottles.

Edit: Mikie and I posted at the same time. I'm exactly the opposite of Mikie. :D Plain water in the pack... And I tailor the strength of the Tailwind in a bottle. My method allows me to change the strength if I need to during a ride. The TW requirement when it was 35 yesterday morning was not the same as when it spiked to 95 later in the day.

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I too carry a 25ounce water bottle on the bike with pure water. I use that to sometimes reset the taste buds. I never use tailwinds for a one hour ride, no point. But always for a 3 to 9 hour ride. I have gotten in the habit now of. Carrying a couple stick packs or scoops in a baggy when it’s a big ride on a hot day and I know there are water stops ahead.

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I agree, that’s even a lot of water to drink (to me)! Hydration hose mandatory...

But the crux is how strong you mix your TW. Not in terms of taste – it’s very palatable (imo) strong or weak, but the difference is how effective it is at totally eliminating food and how much you are willing to pay.

Have fun exploring the new tool. It consistently works for me when I need help consuming calories (and water).

27. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... But mixing a "thick" bottle allows me to change the strength of a dose with every sip. By varying the TW sip size and varying the pure water intake, every sip can be custom. It's what allowed me to get through Koko on one heavily mixed bottle of TW each day.

I alway carry stick packs. That Tailwind dealer is really smart for putting those packs together. :whistling:

Edit: And I'm not trying to change your mind... We do things differently. Just pointing out that this stuff opens up a world of opportunities for customization. I got the heavy bottle idea from a former poster on here who mixed one at 6 scoops and then tailored the plain water to "mix" it on the fly.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I don't drink that much during a ride. I'm one of those guys that will go 2-3 hrs on a single 23 oz. bottle. On the bigger rides and death march's, I'll often times mix in 3 scoops to a 23oz. bottle.

I then play it by ear as the ride continues. It we are gonna be out all day, I'll mix a few more bottles, but usually stop if the ride ends within the next 1-1.5 hrs.

29. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hope you like it @Erik H ! Here's my data point: I add two scoops per 27oz bottle. Start on that for the second hour of three plus hour rides. If it's a tough ride, I'll mix in another two scoops for the bottle after that sometime in the third hour. I don't ride more than four hours typically, so that works fine for me. We only process 180-250 calories per hour, so taking in more doesn't have a lot of benefit. You're just carrying it around in your gut vs. your bottles.

I just started on the post-ride recovery mix, mainly for the kids as they don't have the guts, er, uhm, stores so bonk easier. Seemed to work well after today's three+ hour ride.

30. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I hear ya. I prefer bottles for any mix and a couple of my bikes are rigged to carry 3. I have a horrible reputation for growing significant science experiments in bladders. :facepalm:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?