All-purpose Lake Tahoe thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 11, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Do we need one of these? If ever, this would be the time...hot in SoCal, snow melted off the Tahoe Rim.

As mentioned previously, a handful of you have LT riding on your calendar. I'll be stoked to share what I've scouted last year and this summer. I'll be ready for whatever kind of trail ride you can conjure up – long, short, bikepack, easy, hard, P2P, shuttle, dirt/road loop...the possibilities are almost overwhelming. I don't ride park, but there is plenty of it here, and there are jump lines if one knows where to look.

My truck can hold three or four bikes and humans. Get your maps and checklists out; make a memorable plan. If you don't know enough about the area, I or one of the other LT vets here can probably help you plan. Ask away! :)

ricke24, CarlS, Walleye and 12 others like this.
  2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I'll be following this thread. Heading up to SLT in September for a couple of days with @mtbMike and @pdqmach26 . They are going for the week, but I can only get away for a long weekend(Sat-Tue). Can't wait. Have never ridden up there. Did a lot of backpacking in Desolation Wilderness as a kid since I grew up in Nor Cal, but moved down south before I started mountain biking.

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Paul, excellent! You might have fun... :geek:

This is what I came up with for tomorrow, clockwise from the north:

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at   3.54 PM copy.jpg

That is pure ST from just below Martis Peak to Ponderosa Palisades. New dirt for me between Watson Lake and PP. There's even some trails along the roads going through Polaris. Guessing 34 miles of ST total. Please don't hold me to that time estimate...

ricke24, CarlS, Grego and 9 others like this.
  4. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Good stuff!

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Hey @pperrelle, don't be volunteering me for any of those 44 mile rides at altitude.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Something like that went down today.

After a long while on ST, I opted out of a few miles of bonus ST, Sawmill Trail, and jumped on the dirt road into Ponderosa Palisades. (Dirt road route is what Google Maps used.) My GPS track whacked out for some reason, no accurate stats, but should be close to that Google Maps estimate.

Rolling into the Tahoe Rim Trail after a couple hours climbing.

rim-chief1.jpg

It was hard to stop and snap pics – loads of ripping DH on the Martis Peak TRT section before you climb again. Intoxicating.

rim-chief2.jpg

rim-chief3.jpg

rim-chief4.jpg

Big Chief is one hell of a mountain bike trail. If I'd had more oomph by that point I could have had more fun, but so it goes. Completely loaded with natural features to jump. Some crazy berm work. Super rocky, like flat ground sections can be taxing to negotiate. I lived despite breaking Safe Riding Practice rule number one. On-sighted all the problems despite a tame run overall.

The point-to-point ride I did earlier this week is probably a tougher ride. But this one took more out of me, maybe the heat, it's like 80 out there and I was not hammering liquid. So I was pretty stoked that Sawmill Road dumps right onto the road at a 7-11, where I still had nearly an hour of riding to go.

Though I skipped Sawmill Trail and Big Chief is obviously a premium experience with some skills, I'll give the sleeper award of this route to the Legacy Bike Path, which runs along the river from Truckee east. What a finish...

rim-chief5.jpg

That's the path on the left bank.

rim-chief6.jpg

Bit of an effort out there today, but who's complaining? Like I told one hiker who asked how I was doing: Every day above ground is a good one, but ones like today are a little more memorable. He slapped me a hi-five as he passed.

Now, about that cold beverage... :sneaky:

Oaken, uzziboy, ricke24 and 21 others like this.
  7. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yo
    You’re livin’ the dream amigo!!!

Oaken, ~JB~, Luis and 3 others like this.
  8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Awesome! Have you checked out the new section of TRT by Stanford Rock yet?

I mentioned somewhere else you should check out Grouse ridge over near Emigrant Gap. It's not far from you being in Truckee and has amazing scenery and nice chunky riding. Lots of lakes.

IMG142258.jpg

ricke24, CarlS, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks, bud : )

But come on, Sar, anyone who has a sweet bike, time to ride it and time to report about it is living the dream. We all are blessed. :notworthy::)

@evdog, thanks for the nudge...on the radar!

ricke24, herzalot, Walleye and 4 others like this.
  10. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Mikie and mike like this.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek:Geez!:thumbsup:

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  12. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Planning to be in Northstar Tuesday - Thursday, maybe more. As I said earlier, Vince wants to do the park exclusively. I get it, check it out one day , practice the next, shred the last day. Me, I'm leaving Wednesday open to explore something else hopefully. Looking for some easy pedaling with views. Northstar will beat me up enough. You've already giving me some ideas @mike plus there's always the Flume right around the corner. If the stars align, I'll give you a shout.

ricke24, Old&InTheWay, Luis and 4 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I've never been and Jennifer says I need to. Well my birthday is September 9th so I'm thinking September 7-10 would be a good time to go. I'd want to get at least one big can't miss ride and a couple of smallish ones.

ricke24, Luis, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Get on up here, Ed!!! You would eat this place up! That'll be a week after Rose2Toads, so I'll be able to tuff out something lengthy. But a rider must give the hi-elevation tech riding here its due...some of the stiffer trails may be best enjoyed in smaller doses... In any case, everything you could want is here. :geek: Jennifer, you know how to set that hook like a boss...good work!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Today: Donner Lake Rim Trail

It's a few years old, network continuously expanding. So we park at the TH and I realize we are east of the parking I was shooting for. But lo, there is a road leading up to the DLRT east of Summit Lake. Up the steep price of entry we hammered...

dlrt01.jpg

Realizing that obstructions might come to bear...

dlrt05.jpg

dlrt11.jpg

dlrt13.jpg

dlrt16.jpg

Slow travel was okay in such a beautiful setting with my best bud.

dlrt02.jpg

Summit Lake:

dlrt03.jpg

A snow bridge we opted out of...

dlrt06.jpg

Water everywhere. Steripen on board, but the breeze and low humidity made it seem cool all ride long.

dlrt07.jpg

Good reason for building a trail through this area: A constant sensory feast, and great riding exploiting much natural terrain. Lots of optional rock lines, all pedal-able, some serious rock paver work in some spots. Reminds us of Raspberry Ridge in Buffalo Creek CO...lots of rock challenges up and down, both directions. If you like that stuff, this is heavenly...

dlrt14.jpg

You'll have to put up with the scenery, though...

dlrt15.jpg

dlrt09.jpg

We stopped at the Warren Lake turnoff and chatted with a hiker who had come down from that way. By his description of conditions, we would be able to get up to the ridge then be stopped by big snow drifts in the cirque as I theorized. Pass on that. We stayed low and hoped to push up to Castle Peak. Not too far up Castle Valley Rd the drifts got big enough to heavily impede bike travel, so we reversed course and enjoyed the fruits of our labor.

The Castle Valley and Summit Lake sections of the Donner Lake Rim Trail are masterfully crafted trails that are like tasty samples of Hole in the Ground trail. But without the commitment. More melt is needed, but Donner area is a Tahoe flavor that should be savored.

15. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I’ll be there Sep 7-13 on the north side. Let’s ride!

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Killer!!!!! Let’s do it – again! :thumbsup:

vvv Yes, @UPSed! Now you have two guides. :)

17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That would be awesome!

Luis, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  18. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Beautiful up here. We rode the Northshore bikepark all day as planned. Killer good time. Those jumps on livewire float you right across the tables. I especially have fun trying to navigate through the most chunk I think I’ve ever seen. May go exploring elsewhere tomorrow. LMK @mike if you’re available. Going to get a late start though.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You guys are killing it!! Had to push today’s ride out to tomorrow due to the appearance of paying work, so I’m out. :cry:

You guys driving out tomorrow or parking again? I’m driving to Carson Valley early for a 36 mi loop off the Rim. (Up Sierra Cyn, down Clear Creek.) You’re welcome to join. You can meet me there or pool with me.

Old&InTheWay, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  20. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    0AC6B172-2526-4447-886A-4347FB71C864.jpeg 2087A643-6B74-458D-BFA5-9FD9954E3181.jpeg
    No worries mike. I did some pedaling about but it was short. Vince convinced me to go back to the park.

21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Tahoe sucks!

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Right on, milk the park!!!

If you get a wild hare, I'll be here @ 6am: https://goo.gl/maps/rEXxNUgXT715rJko6

Possible shuttle 8 mi up Jacks Valley Rd if you wanna skip the road part. Or knock it out as a warmup. It'll be warm at the finish but mostly no pedaling in the last 12 mi.

If not, have a good park sesh, say hi to the Slayer, and safe travels! :thumbsup:

23. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    I'm heading up for a half day at Northstar on Friday, 8/7. Any ideas how much the afternoon lift tickets are? Can't seem to find any information except that it varies by location.

Old&InTheWay, Danimal, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon
    Just an FYI the vista chairlift is not running during the week days only zephyr so a lot of the technical runs are hard to get to. Other than that it was awesome 2 weeks ago.

78E595FD-3317-47DB-B542-6B33BD0E167E.jpeg

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  25. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Also if going to north * you might as well hit Downieville. Then go south another day and do mr toads. Anderson connection trail is great. And someone mentioned donner summit trails, they are magical.

1D747D49-294A-44BB-9E9B-2012D6C276FC.jpeg

ricke24, DangerDirtyD, mike and 5 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thinking you meant Armstrong Connector. :geek:

If not...I gotta ferret out this Anderson Connection!!!!!!!!!!! :oops::thumbsup:

A re-run, because it applies here....

IMG_2701.jpg

Following the Truckee River between Truckee and Reno on the Tahoe-Pyramid Bikeway.

ricke24, doublewide, uzziboy and 3 others like this.
  27. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Met up with @mike last night and told him about my grand plan over some beers at Alibi - 06 Road, up Lower Big Chief, up Upper Big Chief, Tahoe Rim Trail to Brockway Summit, across 267 Hwy to Dry Lake and the singletrack there. Basically trying to just make a biggish loop from my in-laws’ house without driving anywhere. Well, it was a good thought! Me and my local riding buddy Peter went up Lower Big Chief. This is a doable trail going uphill, but most people just ride the fire road to the top and drop in. We wanted a challenge though! Some amazing views, riding, experience - pretty much what you always get here in the Tahoe area. Started riding up Upper Big Chief and about a mile or so into it decided that it was not exactly rideable in that direction without constant HAB, so we turned around and enjoyed the amazing downhill we had just earned! Did just under 22 miles, but man I grinning ear to ear and hooting and hollering through the berms, rock features, log ride... My little Giant Anthem 29er was just enough!

Had a blast and stoked I brought enough water this time to complete Big Chief this time!

56BCA86E-3606-47E0-B993-DEF40ABAF2ED.jpeg

788516A4-042C-48FF-B10D-1832D892A8D4.jpeg

04ADE86E-65EA-44FB-81E8-FADA10593E8A.jpeg

C2267779-976F-4ACA-8302-7571A20A1622.jpeg

71FD2389-24B8-4594-A10C-29DFE7301911.jpeg

554524F9-0CC1-4ECE-A850-CAFADB6D6EE2.jpeg

5EEAA92E-B900-411E-8001-F307CF4B13EF.jpeg

Oaken, ricke24, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  28. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:

Yes. Maybe i was thinking of Anderson truck trail in SD.

Mikie and mike like this.
  29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That is Beautifull!!!

Mikie, kingaucho and mike like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMTBTahoe Area update...

The visitations are lining up! One more hard-assed IMTBT rider now planning to show during the much-heralded early-Sept appearance of @Luis, @Mikie Robin Mcguire (s) and who knows who else in that pack (Brit Steve?)... :thumbsup: On the heels of that, another wave of three of you guys is slated for mid-month. I'm not even counting you fence riders that know your best interest is in getting the F up here. (You know who you are!)

September is super ON! Rose to Toads (sold out) is 9/2. After that I'll be open to anything and everything my sporadic work "schedule" allows. (FYI, my work bubble has been very front-loaded; it's looking potentially lighter in Sept than I was initially led to believe.)

tldr: Get up here! :geek:

Mikie, rossage, UPSed and 1 other person like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?