Pro Bike Supply - Newport Beach

Discussion in 'Local Bike Shop Reviews' started by Cornholio, Jun 9, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    This little shop on Old Newport Blvd across from Hoag in Newport Beach has been my go to shop since 2013. I used to live on the peninsula so it was super close to me and even though that I live out in the hills by Santiago Oaks now I still go to them as my main shop (I work in Newport so not that bad to drop in at lunch although I do make the 20+ minute drive from home if I have to).

They do custom builds and run an online store so they either have what I need or get it for me fast at a decent discount (enough of a discount to often compete with and sometimes beat online prices). Mark, the owner, is quick to respond to emails and return calls and is a great guy. When I built up my RIP9 there he let me try different saddles and stems before settling on what I wanted. Same thing when I bought new bars and stem last year, he let me try out different stems before settling. Very "mom and pop" like shop where the guy ringing you up is going to be the guy wrenching on your rig. When my dropper was at LEV for service he gave me a post to borrow in the meantime to keep me on my bike. It's these little things that make my experiences with them positive and keep me coming back.

The shop is small so it can get crowded in there but they do have more inventory than what is on display since they have their online business upstairs. It's nice to walk into a place like this and get a handshake from the employees/owner and they always try their best to either get my bike done when I need it or loan me a part so I can ride. This is not a shop that stocks complete builds, they have a demo fleet but it is a custom bike shop. (They build up Ibis, Niner, Yeti, Salsa, Knolly, Intense that I know of).

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I like Mark. My buddy Mike used to work there and they helped me a lot. Mike went and opened his own shop (Stage 21) and I went with him, for most wrenching needs. I appreciate why you appreciate PBS!

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Ah, so I assume Mike worked there when Dana Weber was riding for them and won the Vision Quest a few years ago.

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    And they also have some of the harder to get demo/rentals like Ibis, Yeti, and Niner. I've rented a few bikes from them for the day to put some decent miles on a bike I'm interested in.

Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Very happy with my Mojo HD3 purchase at Pro Bike. Mark was awesome to work with and Tony set the bike up flawlessly.

6. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    In the interests of "fair and balanced reporting"

When I bought my SC Highball last year, it actually wasn't my first choice. I was going to get a Niner EMD9.
    Plus (I stupidly thought at the time), a more "local" LBS to give my business to.
    So I plonked down a large deposit for said EMD9.
    "It'll be about a week".
    Nothing
    "Yeah, it'll be about 10-14 days"
    Nothing
    Went in
    "Oh yeah, the Niner rep was just in, you just missed him. Your bike? Oh... no idea"
    Seriously. That's what the guy said. No idea.
    Luckily the owner returned my deposit pretty quickly
    Drove over to The Path - in TRABUCO. Purchased said Highball. Cool vibes, pleasant chats with staff
    Sticking with The Path, got quick efficient maintenance work done on my Highball at the Tustin branch. Still my "local" bike shop
    I liked the EMD9, probably be riding it the same as my Highball, but turns out the Highball is great

I get the distinct feeling I wasn't spending enough money with them...
    They probably feel it wasn't their loss. Certainly not mine either.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    @Cornholio I've noticed they have really good end-of-season pricing on internet sales as well. That's what caught my eye previously.

@Andy I swear that's the exact same story I had from former LBS (they're strangely enough out of business). And I kept going back for more like a schmuck...

8. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I guess it often depends on the person who is behind the register or answering the phones at shops. The two times I went to the Path with money to burn I walked out after the employees acted as if I was ruining their break. But most others rave about them so I am sure I just had bad timing. I live very close to the Path now but still go to PBS based on my experiences and the discounts I get.

9. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Yesterday I found a crack on my RIP9 and the shop was already closing up so I emailed Mark, the owner, some details and pictures. I went in there this morning shortly after they opened and he immediately says to me that he has already been in contact with Niner and would have my replacement options soon. That was good news but him offering me a new model JET to ride in the meantime at no charge was just as rad. He actually offered a new RIP too but suggested I take the JET since I am doing CC next weekend and it is more suited for that.

Not sure what my replacement will be but I was told I will either get the exact frame if they have them and if they do I will be given an upgrade option to pay some for a new JET or RIP frame. If they don't have my exact frame then I would possibly get a new version at no cost (please be this!). Mark was already talking about what would be needed to upgrade to the new RIP and I think that's what I am leaning towards regardless if they have my old frame or not. Would move my Pike to 160mm and either add a boost adapter to my current DT 240 hub or rebuild my hoops with a boost hub. I'm leaning towards just using an adapter at first.

TL;DR - When my bike breaks PBS gets me rolling again right away no matter what.

Cracked frame:
    IMG_1293.JPG

Temporary solution:
    IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It is probably a biased opinion but I think you will like that Jet!

Glad they are taking care of you.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nice loaner!

And I like Mark at PBS too.

Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  12. That's great, but why did it crack????

Danmtchl likes this.
  13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Excessive torque??

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Sh!t happens.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    @Cornholio has been attending the Mtnbikej School of Breaking Bike Sh!t. @Faust29 has already graduated.

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And this is the reason that the next bike will most likely say Santa Cruz on the side- Frame warranty and easy replacement!

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I gotta take my love for PBS down a notch after my warranty frame rebuild. Full disclosure that I did not bring it back for them to "fix" but I just didn't have time and the adjustments seemed minor. Turns out that the new mechanic(s) didn't do such a swell job putting my bike back together and even forgot a spacer on the cranks. I tried to fix it but with limited bike mechanic knowledge or experience I didn't realize it was a spacer missing issue.

I still love PBS but will be letting them know what a headache they caused.

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Often that's all that's necessary. Let them know they screwed the pooch and that your audience is large.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  19. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I gotta give my props to Mark at PBS as well. I cracked my Pivot Mach 6 last year in Downieville (100% my fault). I was up in OC so just started cruising the better shops I knew to get some ideas fro a replacement bike. I never thought for a second of trying to contact Pivot but when I told mark about my Mach 6 frame, her said "why don't you see if Pivot will give you a crash replacement deal" but since it was a bone-headed decision on my part, not a crash and I wasn't willing to fabricate a story, it never crossed my mind. He offered to contract Pivot on my behalf and less than 48 hours later called to tell me that Pivot had approved it. I was able to get a Pivot 5.5 frame for 40% off so that was a non brainer.

20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Good to hear! Still a big fan of PBS and wish them the best. Next bike I build will be organized through them, just can’t beat a LBS owner that replies to emails right away as Mark has always done for me. I did knock my new frame assembly in a post above but really nothing big that would deter me from continuing my relationship with them or advising others to check them out. I was actually steering an old friend (new riding buddy) to them today on our ride.

21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    More PBS love...I started desiring a mid to long-ish travel 29er to add to the quiver and looked to PBS for demos because I know they have stellar quality demos which is rare. The fact that I could book an appt to demo the bike instead of just hoping it was available was a huge plus as I was driving up from Oceanside. The other bonus is you can use the demo rental fee as "credit" towards ANYTHING in the shop and not just a new bike purchase like 95% of shop demos.

Anyway, I decided on a Ripmo and asked Mark straight up if there was any coming off MSRP while not expecting much since there's people on MTBR still waiting 6-8 weeks for Ripmos. Mark offered 10-15% off MSRP depending on what I bought. I ended up ordering pretty much everything but brakes and a drivetrain and ended up doing even better than 15%. On top of that, they modified the fork to proper travel as the fork I ordered only came in a 170-180, they installed my headset, BB and crown race for free and upgraded my $40 rotors to the $90 model because he didn't have what I ordered in stock.

22. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    That’s some LBS love! Wish they were closer as I’m not in love with any of my LBS’s

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Congrats! Sick bike, great deal. That's why I love buying from a shop!

Speaking of which, Mark still owes me a favor 'cause I had to save him from a flat when he was ill-equipped! Maybe I can talk him into a super-duper deal on a bike I don't need.

N+1 = W-1.

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    That could be a win-win :rolleyes:

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Not when this is the potential W-1...
    Tami Ready to Crank.JPG

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?