Vision Quest Alternative

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Faust29, Jun 26, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hmmm... I can't say that this route sounds as fun as the VQ route with 3 great descents, but the WS puts on a really fun event. And the more that I think about this one, the more I realize it's actually kind of sadistic. Standard Black Star to Motorway to start, but knowing that you'll be backtracking that section of Main Divide later in the ride. I predict a lot of HAB on The Pain Divide near the end... :gag: :thumbsup:

I may be in... :cool:

Warrior's Society Sundance Event
    The Warrior's Society will be promoting a new event to replace to Vision Quest and Counting Coup until the forest reopens:

Warrior’s Society Sundance
    Date: Saturday, April 11th.
    Start time: 6:00 a.m.

The start will be at the Black Star Road gate, across the Main Divide, down the Silverado Trail (Motorway), up Maple Springs Road to 4 Corners, then left (North) on Main Divide and then return down Black Star Canyon Road to the finish.

The Aid stations would be at the bottom of the Silverado Trail and 4 Corners.

The total distance would be 48 miles with 9100’ of ascent.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19808732

The event fee will be $75.00, which includes food, t-shirt and awards for top male and female finishers. Registration will open at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 1st, 2019

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I saw that. Have you (@Faust29) ever done the whole length from 4 corners to black* in one ride? I don't particularly enjoy riding from Beek's to the Motorway, but I expect that going the other direction is much easier(?)

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I think they should also have a shorter event, like they do VQ/CC.
    I could be down for BStar to MW as an event.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have not, but @Stkx66 and @Grego have both done it recently... That stretch will have several climbs that I would walk on the single speed. I checked out the elevation profile, and it's lousy in both directions. :p

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I got the email also.

A shorter one could be a double motorway. B*-MW, turn left at the bottom of Motorway and MS-MW. :thumbsup:

Not sure that's actually shorter...

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    A decent one that's shorter > up Harding to Four Corners, across to and down the Motorway, up Maple Springs to Four Corners, down and out Harding.

That's a big ride, but a little more enjoyable than the slog across Main Divide from Black*. I did it in Jan 2018; 35 miles and 7000 feet. Marginally steeper at 200' per mile (versus the 190' per mile in the proposed Sundance ride) but that's probably just due to the fact that the bottom of Black* is so flat.

7. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Not a good route.

mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  8. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Not sure either, but doesn't get you back to BStar (on dirt)

I wonder where/what kind of party they will have at the end at BStar?

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Main divide from blackstar to motorway.. then main divide again from 4 corners. Back to blckstr? Haha.. thats is not fun! Like no way its any fun at all...like inflictin pain on urself fo no reason...
    Umm...
    I may have to sign up

10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I dont mind blackstr climb... maple springs climb... but main divide ...ground hog day of pain.. habs..

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
  12. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    This sounds horrible but maybe worth driving back for. With my luck I’ll drive out from Phoenix and it will get postponed.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    No short version.....only 1 route. Either man up and do it, or go do the FLoop.

Logistically Blackstar works much better than Harding or Maple Springs.....we also cannot have riders racing down Silverado Canyon, thus the back tracking on Main Divide.

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    End the race at the bottom of the MS-MW loop. People can make their way back down the canyon without racing.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

There is not enough room at the bottom of MW/MS for the venue. It's bad enough having an aid station there for VQ.

16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Me too. LOL.

17. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Not ideal, but seems fun. Thanks to WS for creating another event. Too bad there's not more fun downhills, but what can you do??

I was trying to think of other alternatives they could do to lengthen it a bit, but I couldn't think of any great ones.
    • Heading down bedford and up skyline? - Need to race through neighborhoods to get there. Traffic management would be way too costly.
    • Down Harding then back up Silverado to 4 C before heading to B*? - No real "traffic control" no left turns, etc. but the traffic in the canyon would be hell I am sure.
    Too bad they couldn't get access to the area between B* and Sierra Peak/Coal Canyon. I assume there's some good roads/trails out there, but no idea if they are steep or even able to be ridden.

Will the return down B* include some of the singletrack?

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

The singletracks in B* are not legal..::so I doubt it.

19. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    I assumed so.... It was more of a statement going back and forth between sarcasm and wishful thinking. :laugh:

20. Bryon

Bryon Member

Name:
    Bryon Walsh
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC
    I'm looking forward to it. I've done a couple Warrior Society races and they always put on a great event. All of those miles on Main Divide are gonna suck... but in a good way. lol.

21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I am not trying to sound obtuse when I say this... is there a written CNF policy about legal and illegal trails for BIKES?

I know that you can hike and horseback ride anywhere you please anywhere north of Ortega (except for current fire restrictions of course). Trails might be significantly easier, but they are not required. I just looked throughout the CNF gov site and can find nothing written about it.

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The general rule in the NF is to stick to existing trails, not make new ones.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I believe the main ST that most take, falls quite a bit into the Mariposa Reserve...which would limit what you can and can't do.

I know B* falls under CNF, but it never gets patrolled by anyone other than OC Sherrif.

Don't know if it is specifically written that no overland travel is prohibited. However, as a advocacy group...it would not look good for us to promote an event that goes on non-sanctioned trails.

24. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I just dont want to man up!
    Floop again!

25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've actually seen DFG out there a couple of times during hunting seasons (not just deer).

Faust29 likes this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, I've talked with them out there a few times.

Rumpled and Faust29 like this.
  27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I'm thinking less in terms of the race/event, and more in terms of - if I bushwack from Four Corners to the top of Silverado Truck Trail (an unused fire road) - am I doing something bad?

Rumpled, Andy and Faust29 like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can give you a whole list of overgrown trails out there that no longer exist. Can you take a machete and clear them out for us? :p

As far as the event goes, I'll probably sign up... It's local. It's a really tough route. And they put on a good show...

DBMX119, Rumpled, Andy and 3 others like this.
  29. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yes.

Rumpled, Andy, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  30. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    It has it's ups and downs...

I like the route as an alternative given the situation. Will have to pre ride this one of these weekends.