First Multicam edit with the Hero 7 Black

Discussion in 'Videos' started by tbarnesarc, Jun 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Slapped this together relatively quick because I wanted to test two things; the Hero 7 black's image stabilization and the multi-cam editing function in Davinci Resolve. Needless to say I'm impressed with how they both work. This will be a great workflow for getting some more interesting footage moving forward. I will wear the Hero 7 while letting various riding pals use the gimbal with the other gopro. I'm looking forward to see what transpires with this idea in the future.

2. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Sound is great too

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Great picture - from both cameras. It will be interesting to see where you take this, artistically.

And what about the Luftkappe?

4. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Agreed. I used the sound from the Hero 4 which is much better than the Hero 7.

5. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    It'll be interesting once I'm able to do a test with another rider. That's why I did this test to see how that mutli-cam feature worked in Davinci Resolve. The process is surprisingly easy so I'll be using it moving forward:geek:.

As for the Lufkappe, it performed as advertised. "Make a good fork a great fork." At least on the 36 grip 2. Better small bump compliance, a little more mid-stroke support and even more plush overall. I'm happy with the results thus far.

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is so much appreciated!
    I really enjoy snagging vid and then sharing. I appreciate your expertise so mucho! :thumbsup:

7. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    I wouldn't call it expertise:whistling: but I hope it helpful to those who are curious about this nerdy stuff.:geek:

Edit: I am hoping to try it tonight with two riders tonight if Gary is willing to wear one of the cameras.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Gary always wears a camera when we play together! :cautious:

:facepalm: :gag:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  9. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
  10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Pics or it didnt happen!:oops:

11. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Here's an update that I figured I would post on this thread instead of starting a new one. I had been banging my head against the wall all last week testing to try and figure out what the culprit was in causing horrible video quality on the Hero 7 Black:bang:. 5 rides of test filming this week to be exact:eek:. Initial thoughts were encoding within Resolve had a bug since I am using the public beta. Nope:bang:. The thing was as seen in the video above is that the Hero 4 gimbal footage was just fine in terms of quality. Turns out that Hypersmooth (in camera stabilization) on the Hero 7 Black is garbage in low light conditionso_O. The image just falls apart due to a slower shutter speed that HS can't process efficiently. After realizing this to the youtoobs I went in looking for some setting changes that may solve the issue. According to one guy dropping the EV to -1.5, setting this min ISO to 100 and a max ISO to 400. This essentially forced a faster shutter speed but the results the settings yielded were still unsatisfactory from my perspective:thumbsdown::bang:.

Then the light bulb went on and remembered a company called ReelSteady which were first known for stabilizing gopros in post for FPV drones to smooth out the craziness of those things. The way they do it is via the gyroscopic data that is burned into the Hero 5-7 video files. One of their user videos went viral a while back which some of you may have seen. The plugin they made was for After Effects but costs $300. It turns out they now make a little standalone program just for nerds like me:geek:. They have a watermarked demo one can try in which I did. The results were great so I picked up ReelSteadyGo for $100 and gave er test run this evening and the first TEST video I slapped together real quick is below:thumbsup:. Hopefully this info will help some of you down the line or presently. After all if you have a hero 5 or 6 this can be a cheaper upgrade than a her0 7:D.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's so smooth and clear in 1440p that it's like there is a drone following you directly overhead.

13. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Oh good. Thanks for letting me know it looks good in 1440p. Still not looking too great in 1080 though. Need to continue messing with the export settings.

It actually was a drone following me:eek:. The story above was all made up! :laugh: That program is pretty impressive to say the least.

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That looks reaaly good! (in 1440p).

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IME, anytime something is offered in a higher resolution, the lower res (in this case 1080p) is not going to look as good. I recall when 1080p was da bomb. Now it's becoming "old school".

16. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    multicam-about-51.jpg
    This is the first thing that came to mind when I read "Multicam" in the title. :Roflmao

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Took me second - but that's friggin' hilarious! :Roflmao :Roflmao

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  18. Fergall

Fergall Newbie

Name:
    Dustin
    Current Bike:
    Kona
    Now there is a novelty with a new format of shooting. I ordered a cool model with compact click, although it is without an editor. When you drag clips directly to the timeline or to the right-hand viewport, the available editing options will be displayed. They appear in a pop-up menu that allows you to apply a number of the most popular editing techniques https://www.compactclick.com/best-mirrorless-cameras-under-1000/, you can do overwriting)) There is also a function of rewriting with a shift to the end or top and there you can automatically adjust or compact the material.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?