Intermittent Fasting

Discussion in 'Health' started by Derkderkall, Jun 19, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Saw this by @buggravy in snakes wrist thread but didn't want to derail it.

I've also been doing this. Over a month now. Mostly as a way to back off the weight I've put on since fatherhood. I've been doing the 16:8 schedule. Basically I don't consume any calories between 8pm and noon. After 8 am (12) hours, the body starts burning fat reserves, keeps glyco and insulin levels in check etc. Along with a ton of other benefits. I was consuming huge breakfast everyday. Now, just my coffee with my califia farms creamer. It's actually about 20 calories, but supposedly that shouldn't reset the fast, . On top of that it's fat calories, not carb.

On top of that, I've had pre hypertension for a while. Genetic I believe, since I consume 98% veg diet, and exercise almost daily. I've noticed sugar tend to Spike it. A few weeks ago I stopped in Walmart and did a bp reading. Best result I've had in several years. This was between a demo lesson at a school and another interview at a different School... So needless to say I was a bit stressed that day...

Anyway, ymmv, but so far I think it's great, and will be sticking with it. Weekends I go normal, but try to workout before breakfast if possible.

Always be properly Fueled for a ride as well.

I bonked on Zion and Chantry hell climb because of poor choices and not properly breaking the fast.

Oh, and my dreams have been off the hook since starting...

Faust29, Danmtchl, Marty657 and 9 others like this.
  2. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I do a post dinner to wake +8 hours fast each day starting at 4 AM. It is not producing the results I desired but it helps limiting my intake to 1400 cal max. Today I was in a heavy emotional meeting, my co-worker had a hang nail so we went to medical to get a trim after the meeting. While waiting I took my BP it was 117/64 with a 62 BPM. So it looks like there are benefits to the fasting. Sitting there waiting, I tried to get my BP down below 60 by trying to calm myself. My final test was 111/60 but the heart rate went up to 64 BPM so I believe the entire thing just sucks.
    Happy life is short, enjoy the ride trails

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have to go about dieting differently (due to acid reflux/gerd) because not eating regularly can cause excessive acid build-up just like eating too much or eating the wrong foods can.

So, I am on a 30 day challenge. Not just to lose a few pounds, but to see if eliminating certain things reduces my allergies.

4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I am a fan of this as well! My concern was the workouts on an empty stomach, but surprisingly I feel like I perform better with no food, it’s amazing!

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks @Derkderkall for starting this. I love seeing others' methodology and results, and even reasons for doing it. I've found the 16 hours of fasting surprisingly easy to do, for the most part. It's getting enough food, and especially enough of the right kind of food in the 8 hour feeding window that has required more discipline and forethought. My only really tough fasts came on the heels of not getting enough nutrition the day before. I definitely dropped some weight in the beginning, but have managed to put on a few pounds of muscle mass over the last couple months We eat dinner pretty early as a family, so I try to maintain that when I'm on the road for work as well, so I'm usually done eating by 6:00 or 6:30 and break my fast around 10 depending on when I finished dinner the night before. That helps, and supposedly having that 3 - 4 hour window of not eating before bed helps with circadian rhythms as well. I really want to try a 3 day water fast, but just haven't been able to commit to that kind of disruption to the active things I like to do.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Marty657 and 9 others like this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Yeah, no way I could make it til Noon without eating. Nobody wants to die early but I also want to enjoy my time here. I’m sure there’s a trade-off in that equation somewhere.

The one diet/cleanse/healthy eating plan I was able to stay on all 30 days was the 30 Day Cleanse by Arbonne. I had some energy loss the first 10 days on rides for sure but once I got over it, I had more energy than ever. I dropped 27 lbs and went down 4” in my pant size.

Faust29, scan, Cyclotourist and 10 others like this.
  7. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I guess it was an easy transition for me since I don't usually get hungry until a few hours after I wake up.
    Also, helps keep the late night snacking and grazing in check.

8. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I feel like for any lasting effects, permanent change is required. Back in 2011, I went from about 250lbs down to 190lbs in a 6 month period making sure I was in caloric deficit and doing crossfit workouts Monday - Saturday. I was able to maintain a weight between 190-200.

After baby number 2, I ballooned back up to 215 and decided to drop weight again. after 2 months, I'm back down to 190 by diet only.

I understand there are many methods on tuning the body to better burn calories and calories from fat, but at the end of the day it does boil down to the simple "calories in vs calories out."

Congrats on trying to be more healthy. We only live once, and it's fine to indulge once in a while... ONCE IN A WHILE. :Roflmao

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    If you want to figure out the allergies look into the Whole 30 program. https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

It is a great way to reset yourself and clean out all the bad garbage we all love to consume. The ultimate goal of the Whole 30 program is that you would continue to eat clean and healthy. Not going back to the old habits that made us feel horrible without even noticing. Non-GMO Organic for the win.

My wife and I have done it twice with great results. And, this is what started us with eating non-gmo organic. It is a heavy commitment for 30 days. But, the amount of info you gain about YOUR OWN diet and allergies is worth it. It was eye opening to me seeing and feeling the almost immediate affect of drinking a glass of milk after 30 days of no dairy whatsoever. Immediate runny nose with nasal and throat congestion.

Check it out, it's worthy!

10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have 3 MTB friends that have done this with great results.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is exactly the one I am doing. :thumbsup:

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    You might be surprised. Your body adapts pretty quickly. Prior to starting TRF I was on the steady drip of food program (good food, but relatively constant food), and my body told me it was hungry after a couple/few hours without eating. It didn't take long to adjust though, and eating dinner early, meaning breaking the fast with a light snack before lunch makes it easier. That said, I've noticed that I start to feel hungry around 12-13 hours into the fast, and that lasts for about an hour. Then I punch through, and getting to 16 hours and beyond is a piece of cake. I could actually go, and have gone 18 - 20 without issue. It's just that I know I need to start eating so that I can get enough food before I stop eating again. A cup of black coffee when that initial hunger pang kicks in helps immensely.

13. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    sweet! curious, what day are you at?

14. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Also, helps ensure we get enough water. When those hunger feelings kick in, I drink some water.

15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Ive been fasting between meals all my life..
    Hasnt worked in weight loss one bit...

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Underweight subjects have fewer health problems than overweight.

Exercise in substantial quantity will accomplish what fasting does, but most people don't have the time (or think they don't). Fasting takes no time, so I can see the wide appeal. It's what we've come to as a species – battling excess.

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Day 3 and my body is in shock. :laugh:

Energy level waaaaay down. Tomorrow's ride is going to be interesting. I think I may need to cheat a little. ;)

Redman, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Do whatcha gotta do! My hubby does that 30 day thing about once a year, and the first few wks are brutal especially since he swims 3 days a wk, but after that his energy returns and pretty soon he feels great!
    Potato’s for carbs:thumbsup:

19. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Interestingly, the info I read on it suggests that it's more in line to what the human body has evolved to before the relatively short time since we have had food at our finger Tipps 24 hours a day. Back when we had to find out food and sources.

Faust29, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  20. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I do most of my riding in the morning, and all the short ones (under two hours) fasted.
    I find that I don't need breakfast in order to go riding. When I finish my rides I'm not hungry. However, I do eat a good size meal before heading to work.
    After I get back from the BC Bike Race I'm planning to try an incorporate intermittent fasting (once or twice a week) and break the magical 200lbs barrier.

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Bingo. From an evolutionary perspective we are just not metabolically equipped to deal with the steady drip of food that has become the societal norm. Weight is but one of the many symptoms, but I think there are plenty of people (like myself) who have never struggled with weight issues that can benefit greatly from some forms of fasting.

Faust29, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I fuel an hour before I ride then start fueling on the trail an hour into the ride.
    I've tried fasting a couple of times, all I found was I got hungry...:whistling:

23. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Don't give in, you'll be starting over from day one. The first week isn't so bad. Beginning of week 2 was brutal for me, both times. Stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I'd look at your diet and size of portions. Eating the "right" food with correct sized portions will benefit you more than fasting. America is infatuated with eating huge meals. :bang:

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Puts the FAT in infatuated, does it not?

Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to Claimjumper. I hear they have a nice little cake for dessert.

Faust29, scan, Redman and 1 other person like this.
  26. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I listened to a podcast called “Science VS” recently that explored the intermittent fasting. They said there isn’t a lot of empirical data to back it up. Their take is that the main benefit is you are consuming less.
    https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs/76hdko

As far as making it til noon - try the bulletproof coffee. Amazing how far you can get on just a little butter.
    18089828.jpg

27. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    That's a great podcast, one of my favs

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and Oaken like this.
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's an interesting notion. It's obvious the impetus for intermittent fasting goes well beyond overweight control. But I would be consuming more calories if I ate "meals," so weight maintenance could become an issue if I gave up grazing. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how intermittent fasting can sensibly work into the health protocol of someone who has trouble keeping on weight due to natural metabolism, and to regular protracted absences or restriction from caloric intake combined with vigorous caloric expenditures. Case-by-case consideration seems necessary.

Redman, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  29. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    As in everything, it's not the answer for everyone. I'll probably transfer to a very basic breakfast, small, simple, once I get to my goal.

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    For me it started solely as an attempt to gain control over chronic joint pain & inflammation that was being caused by Reactive Arthritis, which is actually an autoimmune disorder. I heard a podcast talking about how fasting was showing very promising results in reducing inflammation markers, and autoimmune regulation, so I dove in. Basically, as I understand it, when your body is in a fasted state it enters the states of autophagy and apoptosis, wherein the body identifies unhealthy cells (diseased, inflammatory, etc.), scavenges them for anything it can use from them, and then flushes them out. Growth hormones are then produced which cause new healthy cells to grow in their place. Apoptosis is more of a function of longer fasts, like 2+ days, and supposedly can perpetuate some degree of an autoimmune reset. USC recently did a study of cancer patients who were in remission but whose bodies and immune systems were ravaged by chemo, and the group that a did a 3 day fast showed much better and faster restoration of healthy immune function. Other benefits, as I understand it, are decreased insulin sensitivity, healthier blood glucose levels, and a myriad of other things. For me personally I was on some gnarly meds to control the joint pain and inflammation that I was experiencing, and my rheumatologist wanted to put me on an immunosuppressant as well. I knew I needed a different path, and since I started intermittent fasting I'm completely off meds, and have less pain than I've had in years. I also haven't gotten sick once since starting, I'm sleeping better, and feel a bit more mental clarity as well. The other thing that I heard is that while you certainly do lose some body fat, more importantly the fat cells around your organs decrease as well. Supposedly that's beneficial in disrupting cardiovascular disease, and the like, but that's getting into territory I haven't researched a lot. All that said, I think YMMV applies in spades with IF.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?