Quarq Shock Wiz

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by mtbMike, May 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I am a one bike guy and my theory one this is... "set it and forget it". I use the same air pressure regardless of trail. AND, I rarely touch any of the knobs. IF I do, it is to add some compression for the chunk. Other than that I don't play with all those dials.

Danmtchl, Obsidian, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I personally like to set mine up for the worst of the worst. I never know when I am going to get caught off guard by a feature and I want to know the suspension is ready for it. If that means I only use 130 or so of the travel on a chill ride, that's fine.

That said, I really want to try The Wiz.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. tbarnesarc

tbarnesarc Well-Known Member

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Same here but finding that sweet spot can take some effort with modern shocks and forks. I'd be interested to see how the shockwiz works on shocks and forks that have both high and low speed rebound. With that said the new Fox 36's grip 2 damper tuning guide seems to be on point. That's rarely the case in my experience with rockshox or fox

Danmtchl, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  4. jwag

jwag Member

Name:
    Jeff Wagner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower LT, Milk Money SS
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread...but I am struggling to get my Fox 36 Grip 2 set up properly....Did you ever get the settings to your liking using ShockWiz?

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I believe Mr. Barnes left this forum for some reason.

Danmtchl, jwag, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  6. jwag

jwag Member

Name:
    Jeff Wagner
    Current Bike:
    Hightower LT, Milk Money SS
    Thanks....guess I'll take a flyer and give one a go

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  7. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Resurrecting this thread because I want answers!:D Who has used a shockwiz with success and who has one I can rent/borrow from them? Even though I have a solid base setting on my 36 grip2 I'd still be curious to see what the shockwiz has to say about it :geek:.

@jwag I didn't end up using the fox guide to get mine set up after all. the PSIs were way to high for my riding style or lack there of... I'm sure you've figured your fork out by now regardless.

mtnbikej, Mikie, MrGreedom and 3 others like this.
  8. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I still want to see what one of these will have to say about my setup too

Mikie, Danmtchl and tbarnesarc like this.
  9. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Are you happy with the way your suspension feels now? If so, then just leave it. Shock Wiz may tell you that to make an adjustment that feels uncomfortable to you.

tbarnesarc, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  11. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    I was an early adopter of the Wiz. I have used it on many bikes and learned a few things about it over the few years. 1st...Its a computer and sometimes it just needs a reboot. Not a problem just a bummer. 2nd...Make each suggested change separate from the other for best results. So if the Wiz says to adjust the air pressure up or down, do that only and then start a new session till the air pressure is perfect. Then start on the spacers, and only work on the spacers. Then LSC and HSC etc... On average I need 6 or 7 rides per fork or shock to get 100% on the Wiz.
    I have been renting mine out for $25 per bike for a lifetime of adjustment on that bike. The problem is that with over 25 friends (DH,E,XC) who ride all the time, I haven't seen it since my last bike purchase over four months ago :-( I think they have come down in price since I got mine so if you are part of a big enough group and each one of you guys can toss a few bucks in the pot, I bet you could have one to pass around and get a chance on it in no time.
    For sure I'm sold on this product. Suspension is so complicated for me that I can't imagine trying to dial it in on feel alone anymore.

jwag, Redman, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  12. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Edit. Whoops. That wasn't meant for me.:rolleyes:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    That's great info! Thank you for taking the time to write that. Much appreciated!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and MrGreedom like this.
  14. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I like it, but that doesn't mean it can't be better. I don't even know the full capabilities of all the tech built into modern suspension.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
  16. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
  17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I haven’t been riding a lot so my suspension tuning was sporadic.. got my fork dialed and it’s on the rear now but to be honest I just don’t get out consistently enough to dial it in.

You can borrow it but you’ll have to come grab it from me in Orange, not far off the 55.

Not looking to sell it, already have a coworker hounding me for it. Once I get settled in the new house I’m gonna want to play with it again.

18. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    Ahh ok. That makes sense and too bad you're not able to get out riding more @Cornholio

Thanks for the offer to let me borrow it. I may just take you up on that. Got your DM will be in contact soon. Thanks!

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My point is, the recommendations supplied by the system are not necessarily “better”. Its just somebody’s opinion in a program.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    However, the recommendation in the system comes highly touted by professional suspension tuners for the pros. I'll take that suggestion! :thumbsup:

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It’s not perfect. I will go so far as to say it has flaws. Adjustment suggestions in a few circumstances were extreme. That coming after the system had suggested an adjustment just prior. IME, it has you second guessing yourself. All I am saying is that we should go with what feels right to us and leave it alone.

22. tbarnesarc

Name:
    Taylor
    Current Bike:
    Stumpy Evo Mullet
    I realize that was directed at Mikie, But that takes all the fun out of it. I like getting get all confused and stuff though... :eek: I have my settings in apple notes so if the wiz isn't so wizzy after all I can revert back.

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    LOL, I get it.

Danmtchl likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Wait - shocks and forks have settings? Who knew!

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  25. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    Finally found a thread I can contribute to other than Aliso/Laguna trail advocacy thread. :laugh:

I bought a Wiz around late '17/early '18. It was an excellent investment for me. I've used it to help setup (2) Float X2's, (1) DPX2, 150mm Pike, various Fox 36's (170mm & 180mm) RC2's and recently a 170mm GRIP2. I used to leave it on for a few weeks after getting my settings established. By doing this it's helped me get a better understanding of the Shock Wiz's recommendations and how they change by trail type and speed.

Some things I learned/observed that may be useful for others:
    • Setting recommendations are going vary somewhat from trail to trail; e.g. the Luge will have different settings than steeper trails with harder compressions (some of the trails in Aliso/Laguna)
    • Recommendations do sometimes change slightly on the same trail if one's speed varies from run to run, mostly limited to HSC and LSC
    • Rebound settings never change once is established, the only exception if I'm experimenting with riding style on how I weight the bike
    • The recommendations are only recommendations. It's a machine, it doesn't think, so experiment, don't feel tied to do everything the it says if you have a reason why or even just want to experiment. Example I had instance where it recommended that I remove a spacer from my X2. After doing this and continuing to tune the shock/bike felt wallowy in the mid-stroke. I added the spacer back and started adjusting based on the other recommendations and the removing spacer recommendation went away a couple of rides later as the other settings got worked out. The shock now feels great and has no wallowing.
    • For SoCal conditions I've found Fox psi settings way too high and prefer to run a much lower psi with 3-4 volume spacers. This provides good small bump sensitivity when the trails are dry and get the mix of hard-pack covered in marbles/silt and also some nice progression for the steeper trails, harder hits, etc.
    • Edit/addition: once you have a setup that you like take the time to save your settings in either the app or somewhere that you can find/use at a later date, it's really quite useful months later
    • As far as GRIP2 specific settings I recommend using the psi, compression, and rebound settings from Pivot as a (very good) starting point. (Credit the GRIP2 thread on MTBR.) These settings rated 92 with 100% confidence on the Wiz. The only change I've made is to add about 5psi over Pivot's guide. I might eventually add 1-2 clicks of HSC & LSC but the fork feels excellent right now.
    All in all it's not a necessary device, but it's definitely a nice to have. Sure you can get your suspension setup without it, but it helps you get there a lot faster and these days ride time is precious (and limited) to me. If you like to tinker then it's just an added tool and you can have fun seeing how the recommendations change when you change what type of tune you would like (e.g. playful, planted, firm). Hopefully this provides some value.

CBone, Danimal, MrGreedom and 8 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for this detailed feedback. Certainly sounds worthwhile. :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?