Prescott Camping near Trails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doublewide, Apr 15, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    We're probably gonna hit Prescott this coming Easter weekend. Looking to see if anyone ( @evdog ) has suggestions on good areas for dispersed camping near trails. I've done some research and somewhat have an idea but would like those in the know to chime in. I was also going to stop by a shop in town for some info.

Thx, Shitty.

CarlS, Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    There are some yellow post sites west of town. The ones I've used are up Thumb Butte Rd and are near trails, but I know there are yellow post sites off some other roads too. It's been a few years since I've used them. Could be taken over by #vanlifers now. There is forest land and BLM land nearby. I think the area right around Prescott is a designated rec area with camping in designated sites only. But a bit further away you should be able to camp. Might not be near trails though. I have also camped right near Black Canyon Trail.

3. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Thanks Evan! I did see some BLM land and the yellow post sites. Don't need to be right by town, just want to be near trails. :thumbsup:

4. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    @tortoise I see you are out that way now, what say you? :)

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  5. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Keep these Arizona topics going. As someone that is moving out there next month I need to find where the cool kids hang.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My brother goes back and forth between Kernville and Prescott, I can always ask where the cool kids hang.

7. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I’m in Cave Creek just north of Phoenix, just moved here last August so don’t know too much of the area...yet. Tons of trails here just need to get out and explore...sorry I know that was no help:(

Danimal, mtbMike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I just came back from Prescott yesterday and go at least twice a year. I didn't ride much this trip because we were meeting with builders for a future home out there. The only dispersed/free dry camping I saw was out Iron Springs Rd between Prescott and Kirkland. It would be about 15 minutes to all the trails at Granite Basin and a little less to Emmanuel Pines. Another 10 minutes to Thumb Butte. Even the stuff that's "all the way across town" like the VERY popular Ranch Trail is only 10-12 miles from that end of town.

If you're on FB, look up the Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance (PMBA) and ask for some advice. They have a Thursday Night Guys Ride (TNGR) and a Sunday afternoon 8-80 ride. I just rode with them at Granite Basin on Sunday. Good folks.

9. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    I am in Stetson hills just on the other side of the 17 on happy valley. We need to meet up for a ride.

10. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Sounds good, I’ve been hitting up the trails out of the Apache wash trail head, SideWinder/Ocotillo etc...since I can ride there from my place. Stetson hills is pretty close, maybe 10 miles?...there’s plenty of other trails close by too...

Mikie and doublewide like this.
  11. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Yea it seems like the north end of Phoenix has Miles of trails to ride. Unfortunately when I’m fully moved out there it will be July when it’s a million degrees but plan on doing lots of Saturday morning trips to Sedona to ride and get out of the heat.

12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Don't forget Flagstaff...Good riding up there too!!

13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    The Cactus Cup Loop in your backyard is one of my favorite rides in all of PHX....a true loop with all kinds of variety and beautiful scenery.

14. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    Sorry, got no info about camping, but Prescott has hundreds of miles of trail - so far I've found lots of excellent XC riding in/around Prescott. But, I have to second doublewide's recommendation. Flagstaff has more fun/interesting riding imo.

doublewide, herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Well, we found a good dispersed camp site and some fun trails right from said site!
    We got there late Thursday. Rode a bunch of the Thumb Butte trails Friday and twice on Saturday. Some trails were a lil busy on Saturday on account of the Whiskey coming up. Lotsa douchey pre-riders thinking they were racing... Oh well.

Trusty Runner
    20190418_175113.jpg

RidinRox
    20190422_065120.jpg

Burgers n Beers
    20190418_183131.jpg

I designed a logo representing all my favorite things and had stickers made. Bikes, beers, camping and being outdoors= Happy Camper! Are you a Happy Camper?
    20190327_125533.jpg

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Nice stickers! That burger looks legit... would give @Grego a run for top honors!

17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Thanks! I love that "crust" you get with cast iron!

mtnbikej, mtbMike and Luis like this.
  18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Nice setup you have there but I'd still be concerned with that first step when taking a leak in the middle of the night. And, where's' Cookie?

mtnbikej, doublewide and Cyclotourist like this.
  19. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    It's not bad, just try to pee before you climb up for bed or have a Gatorade bottle up in the tent! And as for Cookie, he was at the babysitters. :laugh:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?