Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Oh, and I forgot to mention. The kid is going to Florida to spend a week with Grandpa. So it's full on, highspeed, no babysitting or instructing, adult snowboarding. I'll miss her, but we haven't this amount of time to ourselves to ride and enjoy Mammoth since she was born, so this is a pretty big deal. So yeah, super stoked.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hello from Squaw!
    059A10F8-7297-40B2-94D4-F1E3F97A2DAC.jpeg

3910DF25-D40D-4B66-9EF5-CD3264A3017D.jpeg

Danmtchl, Redman, Robbie and 10 others like this.
  3. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Check out those cornices!

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah - I hucked myself off a smaller one - maybe 6’ - and promptly stuck in the thick Sierra cement and shoulder rolled into a photographer. Pretty funny, actually.

That’s the Palisades behind me in the photo. I didn’t go up there. My adventure was on Granite Chief. Fun day but very challenging conditions. The hardest part was trying to maintain forward momentum on the flatter runs at the bottom as the slush made my skis/snowboard stick like a hockey puck on wet ice.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Danimal like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I like that you have different jackets for skiing and snow boarding. Styling as usual!:thumbsup:

Glad no one was hurt in the tumble.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I started with a jacket, but it got too damn hot so I switched to the TLD sweatshirt while still skiing. Funny, I always get compliments on the TLD when I’m skiing/riding - yesterday included.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Danimal like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Awesome first day in Mammoth. Perfect spring conditions. Some impressive inbounds avi debris at the bottom of Hemlocks.

7588440C-980E-41FC-860B-E5757F8380EE.jpeg

Danmtchl, Mikie, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yikes! I’ll bet your snow at 9500’ was better than my snow at 7000’.

I was pushing my boundaries on my snowboard in the afternoon taking on something steeper and bumpier than I am comfortable with. First two turns went well, but then I tripped over a mogul, fell and started sliding down the steep pitch. Well I tried to self arrest but in flipping my board around, my feet came out of both bindings, but not all the way. That’s not supposed to happen. I eventually stopped sliding, got myself re-attached to my board and finished the run. Then went back up to give it another try. Better result, though I took a slightly easier line. Oh and all of that was under the lift. :oops: :bang:

9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Very possibly, but I'll admit, I LOVE spring corn and slush. That's my hero snow, and this is probably my favorite time of the year to ride. We waited until about 10:30 to go out, so things could soften up, and rode until closing bell.

Man, that feeling of not being able to self arrest just sucks. I've only had it happen once where I really picked up appreciable speed and went some distance. You get to a point where getting an edge in might pop you back up, or might blow out a knee. Yeesh. Coming out of the bindings definitely adds an element of sketch. Seems like it would really take a lot of energy to make that happen. Glad you made it out unscathed, and even able to go back and clean it up.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Flow bindings. Dragging the high backs against the snow opened up the clip. Time for new bindings - again. Just bought these this year, but a HUGE design flaw.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m scouring the inter webs for more reviews of the new burton bindings. I’d love it if someone could finally make step-in work right.

Snow Bummit was interesting today. Rocky slush bumps with icy chunks, and 70 degrees. Daughter wanted to go tomorrow but the trails were visibly thinner and narrower with every run, and my base picked up some scars. The bike park is poking out everywhere now, they could probably have it open next weekend if they hustle.

12. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Look at those avy release lines!!! Did you get any of that grilled cheese at The Outpost? Great deck for brews and food

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I joined the herd and got some Burton Cartel bindings for a decent price. I guess I won't be trying them until next year.

New boots (Ride Deadbolts) were the bomb!

I imagine my next post in this thread will have to do with surfing. :thumbsup:

14. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Hey Herz- that bowl in the background looks great. Looks like they still may go for a while if it doesn’t warm up too much

15. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    There were a ton of fresh sizeable releases all over the place, but these were probably the most impressive. The mountain only got like 3-4 inches the day before, so we were surprised to hear them bombing aggressively that morning, but they sure triggered a lot of slides.

No grilled cheese this time, but I'm all about the Outpost. 14 my favorite spot on the mountain for sure. The first time I ever went back there was on a bluebird powder day. I remember coming down from 12 and arriving at the Outpost to people partying, and others hucking themselves in Hemlocks. Even with all the people back there we just kept finding fresh turns. It was such a good vibe, and just seemed like Fantasyland. It's been my favorite spot ever since.

Nice. I don't have experience with Flows myself, but I've never heard good things. I've never heard of the unintentional release, but the design just seems to lend itself to a bit of slop. Cartels are solid, and I bet will match nicely with the Heritage. I haven't ridden them in a while (Union across the board now), but I rode them on at least one heritage, and they were a good fit.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Union Atlas? Strata? Force? Falcor? Union seem to be as ubiquitous as Burton. Maybe more so.

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The photo was taken at the top of the Emigrant chair, looking east. The peak and slope to the left of my right arm as you are looking is KT22 - plenty of north facing slopes off that. Do the east facing ones in the morning, then the north facing in the afternoon. To the viewer's right of my left arm is North Bowl off the Headwall Lift. Same situation. Great east facing runs for the morning, then the North Bowl and even Palisades (if you are crazy confident) in the afternoon. 20 feet of snow up there, so it will last a while.

18. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Stoked for you to have a chance to get up there

19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    All but Strata. I'm currently running 4 boards and have 2 Atlas, 1 Falcor, and 1 Force. I really don't feel a lot of difference between the Atlas, Falcor, and previous incarnations of the T.Rice bindings. I just got the Force, and rode them for the first time this week. I rode them quite a few years ago, but once I got on canted footbeds I loved them, and wanted to have them on all my bindings as switching to a non-canted bed made me feel like I needed to adjust my stance width, and I wanted to maintain continuity. Union is putting canting on the Force for next year for the first time (as well as a couple others that didn't previously have it), and they did a limited late release of the Team colorway a couple months ago, so I grabbed some. I like them, but I guess I've gotten used to the relative stiffness of the other bindings, so the Force didn't do it for me like the others. Atlas is really about as good as it gets for me for a do it all binding.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Silly newb question - I assume the canting is inward towards the center of the board and not outward, right?

My Flows had 2.5° cant and the Burtons allegedly have "auto cant" which is probably a fancy way of saying softer material on the inward side than the outward side.

Danmtchl and Makoto like this.
  21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Yep, towards the center. For me it allows me to take a wider (and thus more stable) stance without putting undue pressure on my knees. You're exactly correct about how autocant works, and I think it legitimately works like they describe. I couldn't tell any difference between that and the actual angled canting of my Unions which I think is in that 2-2.5 range as well.

22. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    New board day (actually about a month, six weeks ago). It’s an 8’2” fun board that I had shaped for me. I had him set it up as a 5 fin to be able to play around with the fins. Rode it a bit as a quad, but it felt really stiff. Although never really had it out in any size (which is what the quad would have been good for). Changed it to a regular tri and it feels great. The epoxy feels so much lighter than my old waterlogged board. Just feels cool to have something new

615FC4CE-B85F-442F-9873-0260315B3021.jpeg

37039C7C-BACB-4063-8150-9CEEC5FA443D.jpeg

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Cool! Fun to get something custom built for you. Looks great.

I bought me a new board last summer too. After a few years of not surfing, I was struggling with my 6'2" CI Fishcuit and my 6'6" CI Black Flag Whip, but the 9'2" Robert August was just too much to cart around. I wanted something in between - y'know, the worst of both worlds.

Enter the Stewart 949 in 7'8" (3" thick). Came as a 5 fin. I tried it that way for a while, then went to a 2+1 set up, which worked better for me. The board really brought it all back for me. It ended up being a great decision, and was basically the only board I rode last summer. It's a little tough to get through bigger waves, but the confidence, stability and maneuverability were worth it.
    Stewart 949.JPG

Stewart 949 Fins Up.JPG

24. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Nice! I demo'd an 8'0'' 949 and loved it. Rode it as a five fin. Felt pretty fast. How did you find that "trailer fin up front" pattern? Just playin around with it? Looks really clean

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Played around with it that way, then put proper side fins on it. Frankly, I didn't notice much difference, but I'm not a very good surfer.

Danmtchl and MolarM like this.
  26. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Full spring conditions but there is still a Sh!t ton of snow.

D2345806-CADB-4B4F-A376-B80F6E19321C.jpeg

Danmtchl, herzalot, CBone and 3 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nice! And I’m glad to see that the sign hasn’t grown much since last week.

CCF919B7-FBC4-41BE-9945-8D2F5291ED75.jpeg

Danmtchl, littlewave, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Where are your ski boots?

Danmtchl likes this.
  29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Blasphemy! I think the last time I had on ski boots was in Jackson Hole somewhere around Y2K.

Danmtchl, MolarM and herzalot like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's probably how you got your affinity for blue feet!

(ref: avatar)

Danmtchl likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?