Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Mar 21, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As the three of you who read my posts know, I have been distracted away from mt. biking recently. This summer was one for the ages as the water temps stayed over 72° July 1- Sept. 15, with plenty of waves. I surfed most of July and August with very little mtb time.

This winter has been equally epic with local mts. getting more snow (and sometimes some very disappointing rain) this season than in the past 15 years. With the trails closed, what choice did I have but to head for the snow?

So I've rekindled my love of skiing and refreshed some equipment (boots), and rekindled my love of snowboarding and refreshed some equipment - boots and bindings.

Just now, I was perusing Never Summer snowboards (the only snowboard I have ever owned) looking for a possible refresh. I've narrowed down to two different models and I was seeking some reviews comparing the two, and lookie what I ran into...

Buggravy Never Summer.png

Our very own @buggravy considering the same two boards 4 years ago! Wait - what are the odds? Truly a strange coincidence.

So, whaddya think, Matt-Bugg - Heritage or West? Of course, both models have been updated since 2015, so...

Faust29, Mikie, MrGreedom and 3 others like this.
  2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Hah, worlds collide! I've actually done some product testing and reviews for NS, so I'm pretty familiar with the whole line. So coming from your Titan everything in their current line is going to feel quite a bit different, as they've gone to some variation of reverse camber on every board. I know that Titan is a tank as well. I've had several Heritages, and they're great boards. Mid stiff, and pretty damp. It’s actially the same as it was 4 years ago. They discontinued it, and then brought it back unchanged by popular demand. That would probably be a good step into their current line from the Titan. I had a West, and liked it fine, but it was a little soft for my taste. They have a board called the West Bound that they did a limited edition run as a late release this year, and it will be a full production board for next year as well. It's a more free ride evolution of the West (replacing the current West altogether next year I believe) and might be a good consideration. A little birdie told me they're going to stiffen it up a bit for next year as well, and they're supposed to be sending me one imminently to ride for the Spring. If you're looking for something as close to your Titan as possible but with modern tech in it, I'd say The Chairman is your jam. It's the burliest board in the line, and is definitely a hard charger. I'm a fan of that one as well. Anyway, that may be more than you were asking, but between the Heritage and the West I'd say Heritage. One thing to add, if you haven't tried a reverse camber board it will definitely be a different feel. It has it's positives and negatives. NS presses boards for a couple other companies, most notable Sims, and Academy. The Academy Graduate series is basically the Heritage, but with a positive camber profile. Happy to provide more detailed feedback if you need.

Faust29, Mikie, MrGreedom and 5 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks - that's awesome! :thumbsup:

I am leaning Heritage. I am not looking to replicate the Titan, I am looking to get a more modern board to help bring me from intermediate to advanced - something a little more alive, but still a great carver (because we get more crap conditions than epic conditions), stable in chunder, yet playful enough for tight spaces, riding switch, catching a little air and navigating bumps.

Y'know, like a GG Trail Pistol! (Or would it be the Megatrail?) See? Why am I asking you? Your answer will just be "buy them both." :whistling:

PS: NS is offering a 28 cm wide Heritage next year in 164 called the DF - Drag Free. Keep my big size 13s from dragging the snow on steep, groomed terrain.

PM-ing now...

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Never Summer is sending me a 2020 Heritage DF 164 to demo for 30 days for free. Gotta love those Colorado companies! Very similar to GG. Taking it to Squaw April 16-18.

I also traded in my new Salomon Dialogue boots after two days of riding for a pair of Ride Deadbolts. The Salomons were too sloppy - feet were moving around a lot inside the boots. The Deadbolts arrived today. Brilliant design, a wee bit short, but the liner is heat moldable, so I think I can buy enough room.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Uh, where's the food?
    I was told there'd be food... :geek:

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Herz, I hope the banned wagon doesn't roll by. :laugh:

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    If I endorse and ride e-bikes, and don't use the trailhead thread when posting potential rides, THEN I will definitely get banned.

I think @Mikie will allow this little diversion. :cautious: :unsure:

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This was sent to my house from Never Summer. 2020 Heritage DF. Mine for 30 days. Free. And free shipping.

Now THAT's how you do demos!

This thing is delicious looking!

Never Summer Heritage 2020.JPG

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    What no where to attach your boots?
    Or maybe it's like skateboarding where your not attached to the board .

Disclaimer: except for snow shoes I've never done snow sports and i'm kinda kidding .

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Look for the series of screw holes in the deck. That's where I will attach my bindings.

Something like this:
    NS Heritage w Bindings.JPG

Cyclotourist, Faust29, MolarM and 3 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Dude, that looks awesome. I’ve kind of gone back to traditional camber for non-powder riding, but the Heritage was such a special board for me I feel like I should pick one up for posterity and to ride on special occasions, before they retire it forever. Quintessential Never Summer IMO. Damp, kinda stiff, tight side cut, and lots of effective edge. Really an incredibly versatile quiver killer of a board.

The NS GG comparison seems pretty valid. They really pushed the envelope with construction about 10 years ago, even getting a patent on their version of reverse camber. Their business model was very outside the box, and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but they stuck to their guns and really thrived. Kind of a paragon of doing it the right way. If you like to geek out on company culture there are some good video interviews online of the Canaday brothers, and how they grew and stayed true to their vision.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, MolarM and 3 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks @buggravy ! This new Heritage DF board is so wide it makes my XL bindings look small. It's about 1/2" wider than my Titan TX, which was pretty damned wide. Drag Free indeed. I wonder how that extra width will feel. I'm probably not good enough to notice a difference.

13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I bet it will feel super stable and awesome. The drawback of wide in the past is it could feel sluggish edge to edge. But with the reverse camber between the feet and the way NS blends their side cuts with the tightest radius at the contact points, they really roll into turns easily and fluidly. I know a lot of people that get wide versions of NS boards that don’t actually need wide boards just for that added stability because the typical downsides aren’t really there. Again, please report back with your impressions.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, MolarM and 2 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Moved to Free Aone.
    See? Everybody is safe now! :whistling::rolleyes::)

Cyclotourist, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I have always found late winter and spring on the so cal Bight to be most perplexing. The ocean has 100+ vis out on the islands. From there you can see the snow. The hills look like Ireland. There are limited # of weekends. So would I always asked my self what to do. I can do a beach dive and a single trac drop on the same day so..... But now I seem to not have much time so it weighs heavy on my mind. At least I still have the nights, and we own the night
    Happy night single trac trails

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @littlewave is headed to Mammoth this week. Lucky!

I am thinking about going for the last day at Mt. High tomorrow, but web cams look pretty grim up there. Two runs open. Lots of dirt.

I have some new boots and board to try though, before my Squaw trip on April 15. Hmmmmmmm....

17. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Go! Get some turns on them. Trails aren't going anywhere. Squaw/Alpine's going to be insane, I love both of those places

18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I've only done 1 local day this season, and that was just a day with my daughter. I might try to hit Snow Summit one day this week, but it would probably be a choice between that or a midweek ride. Tough choice right now, and we're in Mammoth for week while you're in Squaw it looks like.

19. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Summit with the wife was fun this morning. Not great, just fun. The corduroy sounded like rumble strips, but 6 and 7 were spinning and no crowds. Had Log Chute to ourselves. We were finishing the second to last run of our day when I stepped out of my binding, slipped a little, and stepped right down on my highback, snapping it. So...last run of the day. Home by 12:30.

Ikon pass is a winner. Only bummer is the only summer lift privileges are way out at deer valley.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    65° today and 75° tomorrow up in the local mountains may take down the rest of the snow. 'Twas a great season.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I rode these for a few runs...
    Skis at Mt High 4-7-19.JPG

Then went dirt-boarding:
    Dirtboarding 4-7-19.JPG

15 runs. 15,000 vft. Home by 1:00pm

Redman, tick, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    How’d you like the Heritage?

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I’m not really good enough to judge. It seemed to initiate turns easier than my Titan, yet it was still super stable. For a big board, it seemed pretty willing to do short radius turns.

That said, I wasn’t instantly blown away and transported to another plane of existence.

Look at my foot overhang. Almost none. Size 13 boots. That’s a wide board!

Curious to see how I like it in big mountain conditions. If only I could spend three days at Squaw or Alpine Meadows next week. Dare to dream!

Cyclotourist and MolarM like this.
  24. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    How do you like the Monsters? Head makes a great ski. Good to see that you made it up there

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    They've been a good solid all-mountain ski for me. They don't carve like a race ski, but they do everything else pretty well. They carve better than most of the mid-fats I tried at the time (2006?).

I think I'll be using some Blizzard Bonafides next week at Squaw. I don't want to travel with my skis AND my board, and my brother has access to a lot of the top all-mountain stuff from Atomic, Volkl, Salomon, Blizzard and Head. Free lift tickets. Free demo skis. Ya Hooooo!

Cyclotourist and MolarM like this.
  26. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Use all that new good stuff! The new curves and waists on the high end stuff work amazing. I’m just sticking to mostly groomers (thigh burners) nowadays, but Tahoe’s definitely got the goods. Stoked for you, post up some nuggets

herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I've found that the times where I had a board that really blew me away the first day I rode it, ultimately the reality was I just had a great day with great conditions, and I just happened to be riding a new board. But yeah, what you described is what really drew me to Never Summer when I started riding them about 10 years ago. Pretty stiff and damp, with a lot of effective edge, so they'd hold an edge really well and not get bucked around, but easy turn initiation and a tighter sidecut so it was easy to get them to do short radius turns without having to manhandle them. It's always easier, at least for me, to manipulate a tight sidecutusing edge pressure into a more drawn out turn, than to force a big radius to to something it doesn't want to do. NS has been kind of going away from that formula a bit with most of their boards recently which kind of bums me out. Another reason I'm glad they've kept the Heritage in the line up.

28. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Just got back from Mammoth. Spring is in full swing. Teens and snowing when we got there, 50s and tee shirt skiing two days later.

Got in two days of fun powder and groomers. Success.

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Awesome! We're heading up on Tuesday for 4 days of riding. Been waxing boards this afternoon. I love Spring riding, and Pond Skim weekend is always such a fun vibe, though we'll miss the actual pond skim this year. Weather is looking like perfect Spring conditions as well. So stoked.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Demo NS board is waxed. Skis (Blizzard Bonafide) are prepped and waiting for me at Squaw. Plane leaves OC at 4:40pm tomorrow. Rain in the forecast for Tuesday :facepalm:, but clear and not too hot on Wednesday and Thursday. :cool:

STOOOOOOOOKED!

Old&InTheWay, buggravy and littlewave like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?