MRP Ribbon Review

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by knucklebuster, Apr 4, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I'm a bit reluctant to write this at this point in time, since I don't have too many rides on my Ribbon Air, and the fork had an issue I couldn't resolve myself. I don't want this to be misconstrued as a "bad review", as the story isn't done yet. It's a fork with unknown usage/maintenance, since I got it second hand. I fully expect to have a like-new fork and happy ending within a week or so.

I got the fork a few weeks ago with my new-to-me secondhand GG Megatrail. It had one short season on it by a guy in Vail who seemed to be intermediate, so the crap wasn't beat out of it. My mistake was I didn't ride or even test the fork much before pulling it apart to adjust the travel, just a few pushes and bounces, it seemed to be ok, and I was kinda delirious with newbikeitis at the time. As soon as I got it I pulled the lowers to adjust the travel to what the MT was spec'd for (170, it was at 160). There are small spacers you can add or remove to change from 140mm to 170mm (on the 27.5 version) in 5mm increments, in a half hour. I really like this feature because with GG you can short-shock a Megatrail and adjust the fork down and have a Shredd Dogg.

Well, after a few rides, I realized the stiction was pretty bad off the top of travel. I couldn't even check sag, it wouldn't move with my weight and normal riding position. A little more weight on the front and it would drop a couple inches and stick. I pulled the lowers again, checked that the foam rings didn't get folded, and the air and damper rods moved smoothly, all seemed fine. I put new wiper seals/foam rings in and lubed it all real good. Still the same stiction. I called MRP and spoke to their tech and went through all the steps to eliminate possible causes of the stiction, most of which I had already checked. So I got an RA and sent it back earlier this week. The tech assured me he would make it right and in a timely manner. We shall see.

So that's the issue, now my review (not dwelling on poor small bump absorption due to the stiction just yet). The thing is super adjustable with the positive and negative air springs set individually, you can really tune it to be plush or firm in the top part of travel. And the ramp control knob lets you, um, adjust the ramp-up to your liking. You want it plush off the top but not bottom out, no problem. Ride higher mid travel? Just a few clicks. I was really impressed, if you don't mind messing some to get it tuned to your liking.

The chassis is solid, equal to the '16 36 I ran on the old bike, stiffness wise. It gobbled up medium to bigger hits well also. I had some harshness on fast chatter stuff but that could be due to the stiction. Still I would say it wasn't any worse than my 36.

That's all for now, will update when I get more news from MRP. Oh yeah, you can convert the air version to coil for a reasonable price too (but can't go back to air after coil). That may be in my future.
    There's a few others on here with a Ribbon so maybe they can chime in too.

2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I’ve owned an mrp stage, and now have a ribbon coil. Both have been great forks and the ribbon coil is dead simple to work on. I’m sold on mrp going forward!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thanks for the pre-review. Can't wait to hear how you like it when it comes back all newy-ish. :thumbsup:

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ditto!

5. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    My only gripe is that i am almost maybe in between springs, especially if I lost a little weight (trying!). Firm is just a tad too stiff for overall riding, however it feels much better (and saves my ass) when things get steepish and chunkyish. Medium spring with max preload rode way too low in travel in those cases (but felt like butter!) Wish MRP made a "medium-firm", I think taht would be perfect.

6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Agreed I’d like an in between (although I’m using mine at 145mm right now, so once I bump the travel up a bit more that should get me closer to where I need to be).

7. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    mrp said on mtbr last summer they were maybe working on in-between springs. Ill believe that when I see it. I wonder if there any way to source one aftermarket. This issue isnt just mrp its all coil forks.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That's been my experience with the Fox 40s I've owned - 1 spring feels great in fast chop, but dives too much, the next spring beats the hell out of my hands and arms, but plows throw bigger hits better and doesn't dive.

It's the same with air - it's so hard to find the exact space where the fork is extremely supple but doesn't dive. The difference is, with air, we believe we can get there and with coil, we have to keep buying springs. I do agree that the coil forks generally feel better than air, unless completely oversprung.

Best wishes to all zeroing in your forks - MRP or not. :thumbsup:

9. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    The problem is sometimes the right spring doesnt exist. i dont understand why coil rear shocks get a spread of 200-750 ppi in 50 lb increments to cover any rider weight and leverage ratio- thats over 10 springs with plenty of overlap when you include the turns of preload. Forks, which are more important for how the bike performs, get 5 with big jumps in between. (and excess preload feels pretty crappy on forks). WTF. when a fork is a grand you should be able to set it perfectly for your weight. However, youre right i still prefer slightly oversprung coil, over air forks. mrp's air offerings are pretty dang good though.