Etiquette question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buggravy, Mar 30, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's okay. She's just a good friend of mine. When I post up a picture of my wife then I'll expect a much better job. ;)

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    My thinking is a body in motion tends to stay in motion - that is - if you can roll it without interruption (and you are not endangering anyone), why should you be forced to stop? Sessioners need to yield to actual riders. I've sessioned lots of sections and I would never expect someone coming down or up the trail to stop while I session.

Great job!

Oh and I too just yell out "@Mikie Watson - Coming Through Beeyotches!!!!"

kazlx, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Now, that's REALLY where the gal rider image came from. I cannot be fooled! :rolleyes:

Faust29, Cyclotourist and -ROCKY- like this.
  4. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    DUDE! Clean that photo up. I want to see some dust coming off those tires!!!

5. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I have a foot in both camps on this one... before I proceed, let me say that both feet say that this is a leisure activity, and people need to relax, have some fun and not take themselves so seriously.

I too will wait at the top of a descent to get some clear trail in front of me. While I'm doing that, I would never expect some one to ask my permission if they can drop in before me. I do my best to size people up before I do the same, but only because I don't want some endurobro climbing up my tail all aggro, not because I truly am concerned about ruining some ones sunday morning world championship run. It's not that I don't care but rather, this isn't a race... it's not a macho convention.

I often prefer to do rides without stopping and waiting at the top of climbs/descents. You get to a point where you realize that stopping and waiting to catch your breath doesn't really make you catch any more/less then just rolling through. Everyone that rides has a different style and rhythm. If people can't respect that, then they should go do something like golf where there are rules, stuffy people and a score is kept.

No harm, no foul. Good on you for being self reflective and taking a look at your own fun, to make sure it's not impacting some one else's fun. That being said, we need to just all relax, and enjoy this awesome activity doing it our own way, in our shared open space.

Danimal, Faust29, bpacifica and 12 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    How dare you sir. :mad: Them's fightin' words! :sneaky:

7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Rbruner so true...

Faust29, Cyclotourist and buggravy like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    This is me 99% of the time, mainly because I ride solo 99.5% of the time. IF I Stop, its to have a drink and squeeze the sweat from my helmet. If there is a big gaggle of riders at the top or bottom of a section, I will do the same. Size them all up quickly, let the aggro looking bros go (if they show signs of being ready to drop in), if not I just go. MOST of the time none of the lookie lou's are very fast, so if you drop in on them, they aren't catching you! And if you wait at the bottom fir them, they always have an excuse to why they didn't catch you. Good times. The few times I do wait, I usually get tired of waiting cause no one goes. So, I wind up going before anyone does drop.

Faust29, mike, da big hills and 5 others like this.
  9. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Yes, you should have stopped. Sometimes people like me will be back out of sight rolling the drop and getting air off the visor of the big center rock. But even if there was not a dropper you should stop- wait and if nobody else is rolling, then go. Stronger guys will lead up, drop and do it again. It is a little technical but I have seen people climb right up the visor so it is really not so much. If you do not want to see other riders go out after 5 Pm on weekdays. No cell phone coverage in the Cheese
    Chicquita's, :cool: yes there are some every so in the Cheese.
    Happy empty cheese trails

Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    This. IMO, you lose priority when you stop. It doesn't matter if it's watching, looking, sizing up, photos or whatever. You now become secondary to anyone on the trail riding. I feel like if I stop, it's my responsibility to stay out of the way. Only exception would be to protect a downed rider and someone should be far enough up the trail to give stopping time.

mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This^^^^. Drop the ego, and wait 30 seconds if someone else drops in. It won't kill you.

Faust29, mike and kazlx like this.
  12. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Eeeeeeewwwwww. :gag:

[​IMG]

13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    What if u stopped bc some newbie was going 1 mile an hour down chutes.. n u were givin him some space....
    This is stupid..
    Just have fun..
    Use common sense..
    Be aware..
    U can tell when some one is waitin to drop vs just stoppin..
    A sec to say all good doesnt hurt...

Faust29 likes this.
  14. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    If you go to any of the big bike parks there’s usually a bunch of people at or around big features. It’s common etiquette to stay out of the way and not expected for you to stop if riding the trail. That’s just the way it is. Obviously you have to pay attention and realize if you are coming up fast on someone. I wouldn’t say it’s common to stop mid trail to give someone room. You either have stop at a trail break to give them a good lead or follow at their pace until you can pass.

Seriously. Rule #1 is don’t stop on the trail. If you do happen to stop on the trail, move off the trail.

UPSed, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I still gotta hit some big park... mammoth on the list this summer...been enjoyin air a bit more...

kazlx and herzalot like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Did anyone notice the creepy photographer?

Old&InTheWay and UPSed like this.
  17. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Take a trip to Whistler. You can thank me later.

herzalot likes this.
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So many places.. so little time

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Whistler ain't no FLoop...

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    There is nothing quite like the FLoop. Nowhere else can you have so many different textures...experiences...and the Hobo Mud Bog!!!

ricke24 likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?