Kuat Transfer 2

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Derkderkall, Mar 25, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I've been in the market for a proper rack for a while now. I have a Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback, but with my xxl 29er i Have to remove both wheels and take up the whole rear to transport. Wanted something more efficient, and convenient. Especially for when I trade up my bike for something more modern. Decided on hitch rack even though my car would easily take roof rails. I had a few different options... Mainly the Thule T2 classic, or rocky mount monorail... were my main focus. Then I saw this Kuat listed online somewhere and checked it out. It's entry level, but has features that suggest otherwise. Most importantly for me is ability to lock (the rack to vehicle, and bikes to rack), and it tilts to provide rear vehicle access. Adjustability and no frame contact are also in there.

I recognize the Kuat name as one of the top players for racks which is also important. For $300 you get a hitch platform rack. Most hitch racks at this price point are of the hanging variety. One of the biggest concerns I had was swapping between my two vehicles. Our other car is a Nissan Rogue. My Hyundai will only accept a class one, 1.25" hitch. I would prefer to have a 2", especially on the Nissan. Long story short I didn't want to limit my future accessibility with a rack that was 1.25. The beauty of this rack is it fits both 1.25 and 2, which will allow easy switching between vehicles.

I also like how it is a more sleek, minimalist design, which will be a better fit for the back of my car.

http://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/transfer/

I used the current REI members 20% sale to order one, and am picking it up today after work. The lock/cable kit was extra, but with the discount it all came to $303, which is actually the msrp for the rack by itself.

I'll come back and update after I have had a chance to install and use it a few times.

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome. Great Bike Rack. Very interested in how you like it down the road...

3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    @Derkderkall (or anyone else who has this rack) I too would like to hear thoughts on this rack. How's it working for you? One concern is it says 47" max wheelbase, that's cutting it pretty close for my bike (46.2). TIA!

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The issue I see with this rack is the lack of adjustability side to side. My Thule T2 allows me to shift the trays to ensure that there is no conflict between bars/saddles.

The Kuat NV and even the new Thule T2 Pro lack this as well.

5. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    Definitely a great rack for the price. Any platform rack is better than the hanging variety, but I’m definitely loyal to the 1up rack. Have had yakima, saris, and thule racks but none of them are as clean or easy to take on/off.

6. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I was concerned with this as well. My current bike is fine, but any bike I get in the future will be longer than 47. I read online of people with xl guerilla gravity bikes, and downhill bikes with longer than 47 fitting without issue. According to some online online, Kuat sells a fat bike extension, which they have suggested to use with longer wheel base bikes as well.

7. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Got a uhaul hitch on yesterday. 1 1/4

Got it on the car today. easy to assemble and put on the car. Light weight. Good for an Urban vehicle, not for heavy duty off road use. Locking kits are easy and a bit extra security, but wouldn't leave on for extended periods.

Biggest issue right now, is vertical wobble. They hitch pin is threaded, but the 1.25 has some space. Not sure, maybe the uhaul hitch is a bit spacier? I can move the rack up and down. Need to rig up a shim to stick on the bottom.

IMG_20190330_130343.jpg

IMG_20190330_132341.jpg

IMG_20190330_132353.jpg

IMG_20190330_154627.jpg

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Generally speaking, dropping a saddle or even removing it (non-dropper style seatpost) will take care of that.

9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    ....until is doesn't....and then it's a PITA to deal with and it gets worse on 4 bike backs. The 1Up solves all those issues. I took forever to get one but there's no question that it's by far the best platform rack I've ever seen/used. Very easy to swap back and forth between the 2 & 4 bike modes as well, though not as east as the old school Thule was. The new Thule is a PITA and is the #1 reason it was crossed off my list when I went to get a new rack.

-ROCKY-, UPSed and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  10. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    Great tip to alway lower your dropper when transporting bikes. I do this every time to prevent stanchion damage from flying rocks and debris. Fork is less exposed on a platform rack, but the seat dropper is way up high.

11. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I would have loved to go 1up, but need a two bike solution, and I can only use the smaller hitch size.

12. stevers

stevers Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2018 Ibis Ripmo V1
    I have a 1up for 1.25” hitch and two add on racks. I believe the 1.25” officially supports 3 bikes with a max 35lbs per bike or something

-ROCKY- and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Dang, don't test the limit with 4 bikes on a 1.25" hitch. :eek:

-ROCKY- and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  14. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I'm on my second Kuat Sherpa, totally worth the price!
    Kuat is def. the rack I'll buy again if I ever need a new one. I just replaced the first one because some jag-wad with cheap insurance rear-ended me. (Don't buy that The general insurance.)

knucklebuster, -ROCKY- and mtnbikej like this.
  15. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I have one. My friend Rick has a XL S-Works. It fits fine on the rack.
    It is a budget rack but it is pretty sturdy. I forgot to fold it up one day and some lady tried to give me a push in drive-through at a fast food place. No real damage to the rack other than a scratch. Her grille was toast :facepalm:;)
    It rattles a bit when folded up but is solid with bikes on it. I have the adapter for my 2" hitch. I have been meaning to shim it like @Derkderkall. I also got the cable locks. Nice for a little security but a determined thief with cable cutters would make short work.

16. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    My next step, getting a bracket to move my license plate, since the main arm blocks it. This is more a fault of the car design.

knucklebuster, -ROCKY- and mtnbikej like this.
  17. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Ok.
    So a year later, the rack works great. Still a great solution for my needs.

But

I now have a new bike with 1215mm wheel base... Just under 48 inches, and plump 29 x 2.6 tires.
    The wheels fit in the trays fine, but getting the arm over the front tire is hard. Can still get it, but I do have to force it a wee bit...

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I have a Yakima hold-up and I get the same problem with the 2.6 29er wheels

UPSed and Danmtchl like this.