2019 NICA High School Mountain Bike Season

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Cyclotourist, Dec 22, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Tags:
  1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The season is going to starting up, with races beginning in February at Lake Perris, and going through May.
    If you are at all curious about these things, or are just looking for something to do some weekend, bring the family and check a race out!

http://www.socaldirt.org/2019-races/

This is from the national org:

UPSed, littlewave, CBone and 3 others like this.
  2. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Hey @Cyclotourist will be sure to share my experiences with you as the season progresses. As in my other post I’m one of the coaches that formed a brand spanking new MTB team here in Maple Valley. Incredibly enough there has never been a team here despite having local access to one of the best XC trail systems in the state called Black Diamond Open Space. The stoke is high! My son will be a member so it will be awesome to be able to ride and spend some good time on dirt with him. I’ve also already enjoyed working with some of the other kids as well.

Washington Cycling League is not part of NICA I believe because they wanted to have middle school teams as well.

https://washingtonleague.org/

Gonna be a great season, can’t wait!

Good luck to you this season.

8275B4B9-B72D-44D3-B51D-61DEFD02FBEA.png

3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I saw your post mentioning your team, so inspired me to get this one started, @Cisco Roots !!!

The best part of the HS teams is getting out there and riding with your kid... no other sport like that!

4. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Hi guys. Glad to hear you are all stoked about high school racing. I live out in Santa Clarita and have been part of the SoCal league since 2014 which was the 1st year the league started to allow middle schoolers to race. My son was in 7th grade and was one of the first middle school racers. I’m currently the Head Coach/Practice Coordinator for the SCV MTB Team. We have 48 HS and MS racers and over 30 coaches. If you ever have any questions feel free to shoot me an email. Glad to hear HS racing is growing and hopefully Washington can join the over 28 leagues that race under the NICA umbrella. Good luck on the upcoming season.

5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    SoCal League is looking for volunteers to fill some key positions this year: https://madmimi.com/p/bcf08d?pact=7...9428-c093fa6fe730b4d94da32f2b087206ef0cc31a17 Email contact is below if this sounds like a thing for you!

Single_Track_Times.01.09.18.png

IMG_6780.jpg
    Dee is our Volunteer Manager. Her son graduated YEARS ago but she is here working hard race after race and year after year to make sure the SoCal League keeps rolling!

Race Volunteer Staff NEEDED
    THE most critical people on race weekend (after coaches of course) are our race volunteers! Virtually everyone you see out running the races are volunteers that come mainly from the ranks of our SoCal League parents/guardians!

We have CRITICAL NEED for several Volunteer Staff positions ahead of the season AND ahead of league expansion in 2020 or 2021!

Some of these positions are part of the NICA Guild program which aims to connect and professionalize those sharing the position with others from Leagues around the country. Occasional opportunities may arise to travel to new leagues to train on behalf of NICA and/or or attend NICA National Conferences.

These include:

Operations Manager: Lead volunteers and make sure everything gets done. Right hand person to the Race Director. Ideally you'll get there Friday afternoon or early evening and you'll be on the go until we pack the trailer Sunday late afternoon. You are one of the CORE race crew. Great for a detail oriented individual who can manage groups of people and internalizes the whole weekend timeline and process and gear. NICA Guild position.

Assistant Chief Timer: Learn the computer timing system under NICA's Chief Timing Trainer (and SoCal League Chief Timer). Sit in a comfortable tent at the finish line Saturday during middle school racing and Sunday during high school racing. Perfect for someone "techy" who knows computers (could even be a motivated high school Junior or Senior). NICA Guild position.

Registration Manager: Lead other volunteers in helping our student-athletes pick up number plates and pay for races Saturday for middle school and Sunday for high school. Great for a detail oriented parent who wants to be involved much of the weekend! NICA Guild position.

Assistant Chief Course Marshal: Be the "right hand person" to our Chief Course Marshal who is the staffer in charge of course safety. Public safety or military experience is a plus (though not required). Interface with marshals on course, SoCal EMS staff, outside EMS staff. Able to take over the role of Chief Course Marshal as needed after training. NICA Guild position.

Infield Setup Manager: Lead other volunteers in building out the infield area --- finish line, fencing, tents, cones, etcetera --- to standard on Saturday morning from approximately 8:00 AM to Noon. Great for a detail oriented parent who has good "on the ground" leadership skills and spatial awareness.

Parking Manager: Lead volunteers to make sure we can move all vehicles into the venue in an orderly manner! Ideally you'll be available to manage a steady in/out flow much of Saturday and a MASSIVE in flow from Sunday morning EARLY until around 10:00 AM. You are patient yet decisive and have a good grasp of space (maybe you are a Tetris master).

These are leadership or technical positions for people who want to get involved in the same spot at most races for at least a season. The reason is that they take some training and getting used to. If one of these (or any other similar) positions interest you --- PLEASE email our Volunteer Coordinator Dee Seymour at volunteer@socaldirt.org.

Additionally, we are on the brink of expansion (meaning having two separate race series in two separate locations) in 2020 or 2021! This means we'll need DOUBLE the number of people in these positions (ie: a Logistics person in the North Conference and one in the South Conference) so if possible, it would be GREAT to get those people training this season.

SoCal.Footer.8.31.18.png
    facebook-f3e2d010bea4187b4486eebb7b388889e6c5b4f6c162114e121ea665423fdfec.png instagram-563308260a88e093a63b65c4282b70a5fc0faac270514c561f1d257a4bc1870d.png twitter-ca5ed37f1d14c3bc2f91d0d91415719061a23f1173be3946d68bfa86a960bf63.png youtube-2ce55b6b36e00090935fbf64f7b85344567d9f0fc38bef53ecf373c894fac1a6.png

©2018 SoCal High School Cycling League | 42222 Lakefront Drive, Aguanga, CA 92536

Web Version Preferences Forward

-ROCKY-, UPSed, Cisco Roots and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    First day of practice! Pretty good showing. I don't think there are any seniors this year.

45958443034_0b7d7f96c2_c.jpg

46630481832_7e90ddeb74_c.jpg

-ROCKY-, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Long day at Vail Lake! Luckily a lot of fun amidst the wind and the dirt blowing everywhere. Redlands Composite took second, which is pretty cool! Corona Composite is in first, with another Bemis kid. South O.C. rounding out the podium.

https://my2.raceresult.com/120198/results?lang=en

46685089174_9a2dd3698f_b.jpg

-ROCKY-, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  8. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Awesome! Congrats @Cyclotourist! Looks like you're doing a great job. Our race season begins on April 14th but practices are well under way. It's been a lot of fun so far and the kids are improving.

Our team is split up into 4 groups and I coach the HS advanced group. Here's us this past Saturday and the team as a whole.

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Legit looking group you've got there!

10. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Shredders!

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Another long day at Vail Lake! But as usual, it was amazing! This is the fun route, which is routed up Marine Corps Hill. Well, fun for spectators at least!
    The Redlands team is solidly in second, with Corona just dominating based on the strength of their varsity girls. Santa Clarita is rounding out the podium.
    Next race is at the end of April in Keyesville... it's always the most fun one IMHO.

JV boys at start:

47458816782_ecaf835e6f_b.jpg

MCH claiming another victim:

46787743654_bd7f1bd51f_b.jpg

Team podium:

46596156155_70d4c4882d_b.jpg

12. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Keyesville is in the bag! Love that place, and the course is perfect for my son. Camping is great there, although it was warmer and windier than optimum. In fact, really windy, with dust stormy all weekend long.

Redlands Composite did great, with podiums in middle school, JV and Frosh girls, and Varsity Boys. The team as a whole is holding onto second place overall due to the above successes!

Firstborn has progressed from missing the first race due to the flu, barely getting through the second one at 39th, moving up to 23rd, now 18th. If there were 10 more races in the season, he could probably get on the podium!

40762831733_7190f96526_b.jpg

32790028727_6b710e9459_b.jpg

33852277758_56ddb7a775_b.jpg

46812846295_d46ecc8814_c.jpg

-ROCKY-, doublewide, CBone and 8 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Awesome! Glad to see him moving up... Which I imagine is no easy feat in that group. :thumbsup:

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    He's in JV1, which is a HUGE group. They had to divide it already into three different divisions to accommodate them all.

Speaking of accommodation, apparently this will be the last time SoCal NICA will go to Keyesville, as the facility can't handle this many kids! That is awesome for the league, but a bummer as Keyesville is pure magic. The SoCal league will eventually (two years?) be splitting into two leagues, either north/south or east/west as it's grown too big.

15. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The final race scheduled for this weekend in Tehachapi has been cancelled due to the forecast of rain/thunderstorm activity. They are expected to get a LOT of rain over the next few days, so even if it's not storming during the actual race, it would be a miserable muddy mess to be out there, and probably inaccessible for vehicles to access. Real bummer, as this has been one of the best seasons IMHO. Mainly because of cooler temps at the races. Redlands Composite is sitting at second place, so that's where we will now finish. SOLID effort from the kids this year.

Notice: https://madmimi.com/p/ab767e/preview

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and -ROCKY- like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Is there a link where we can find out how our local high schools finished for the season?

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Touché.. although all results are available from their page which was the main point. Just jabbing the snake tbh.

20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    He needs to be jabbed at I'm guessing!

21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Awesome! Kids on bikes rolling through the mud with smiles on their faces... Great to see. :thumbsup:

Is the Bemis in the results related to the other Bemis with pigtails who used to politely pass me at the 12 Hours of Temecula? So awesome... And completely demoralizing at the same time. :p:D

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes, this is the younger sister. Prepare to be passed by her at some point! She's on the Corona Composite Team, which just happened to win the league championship this year!

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  25. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Pretty awesome of Radavist to cover the race. Up here in Washington we are 3 league races in and the state championships will be the 1st weekend of June. it has been such a great and rewarding time. Our kids have grown in the sport and the stoke has remained high! Here are some pics of our kids from last weekend......My son Gio is on the Niner....

8P4A1406-L.jpg

8P4A1482-L.jpg

8P4A2007-X2.jpg

8P4A2157-X2.jpg

26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I tell ya' @Cisco Roots , this is the incubator of world champions!

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This guy has to learn how to conform to the expectations of XC racing attire and equipment! :eek:
    Someone needs to tell him that racing isn't supposed to be fun! :sneaky:

28. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Haha! Nice observation! Lets just say our team makes it to the league races but as you can see they’d rather be sending it on some jump lines or bombing down gnarly trails. We’re actually gonna be forming our an Enduro team too which should be a lot fun.

Cyclotourist, Voodoo Tom and herzalot like this.