The Path Bike Shop Demo Fair 3-24-2019

Discussion in 'Demo Events' started by BurnDawg, Mar 1, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-24-19
  1. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    Stkx66, -ROCKY-, Grassblade23 and 6 others like this.
  2. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    Anyone who has been to these before, what trail/loop do you usually ride to test?

I usually just loop Live Oak to Vista but it's not much of a test of the bikes. Once they were shuttling to Luge which was pretty cool.

-ROCKY-, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for posting this up!

-ROCKY- and Faust29 like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't been down the Vista trail since the rains. Maybe it's a lot more interesting now. :pArroyo Trabuco certainly is...

-ROCKY- likes this.
  5. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    It's always hit or miss on whether they will shuttle to the STT trailhead, so I've never done the Luge from there. I wish I was strong enough to ride from RnR or The Path and still have legs left for Santiago. Santiago isn't really that bad if you are fresh. It is just doable for me from Cooks.

For Path Live Oak demo days I usually explore more and more of Arroyo Trabuco and return via Tijeras Creek. Last time was the first time I did Waterworks. It's probably a nasty mess right now because of all the rain, but normally, riding AT south provides some interesting feedback on small bump compliance, (All those river rocks,) Waterworks is a fun quick descent, and TC lets you experience climbing double track, with a few extra credit bits thrown in. I always tell myself I'm going to go all the way up to Bell and then cut over the topside of O'Neill, but I tend to bail out on Antonio and ride the street to the top of O'Neill. Twisted Tire makes a nice, quick finish, and then back to the shop.

If you want to throw on some extra miles you could add Bell or O'Neill stuff, (Live Oak, Coyote, Vista, etc) on either side. I've never actually asked the shop guys at Path what they think is a good loop from the shop.

Here's what I did last time:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1957475715
    0fa236a3-3795-4b46-961b-60c983122e75.png
    I think the Demos are supposed to be only 60-90 minutes, but none of the brands have given me grief for a two hour ride, (I also don't try to take the brand new hotness out when 5 other people want the same bike.)

6. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I will be leading rides, doing shuttles to the luge (with my truck) and hanging out for this demo day. I've done the last 4 demo's from the live oak shop with the most recent one being the pivot demo. All of the ones I've been a part of working at have had shuttles to the Luge. Typically, we just load up a group and lead a normal luge ride in lieu of shuttling it. Turning people loose on trabucco canyon dealing with the driving there is a crap shoot for us and if I'm helping to manage the ride situation, usually a non-starter for me.

My favorite way to demo bikes at these is to do 2x vista laps. The vista loop has enough sample conditions and the loop has enough climbing for me to make a judgement on what I'm feeling with the bike. I don't really know why people are obsessed with taking a demo to the luge, no offense to the luge, but it's not always a great demo experience in my opinion as the way the luge feels is largely dependent on the condition of the trail and not what kind of bike you're on. I've been beaten up by that trail on a nomad, and I've blasted down it on a trance 29 and felt like it was a magic carpet ride.

I digress, vista was in great shape 1.5 weeks ago during the pivot demo. I did 4 laps on it on 4 different bikes and enjoyed them all. I left that demo having a really good understanding of pivot's range and if I were buying, i'd have known exactly what size/style of bike I wanted.

As I mentioned, I'll be there. If you want to go for a ride, have questions or want something specific, let me know the day of and I'll do what I can to help.

7. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    Came here to say this. There should be more than one truck to take riders to the top of Modjeska.

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    A legend returns. Again... :thumbsup:

9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Sunday March 10 Incycle demo day at Norms hangar San Dimas.

10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Are they riding out of Bonelli?

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  11. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    Hey folks, the path demo fair is this coming sunday. This is going to be a MASSIVE demo event. There will be a ton of brands represented, plenty of demo bikes to go around, plenty of new product to touch feel from sram, etc. And even a new bike that will be on display that has not yet been released. (check pink bike tomorrow morning).

Come on out and hang out, ride bikes that aren't yours, drink beer that's free. It's going to be a really good time.

Faust29, HBkites, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  12. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Any suggestions for parking? Parking can be sparse when there is only one company doing a demo, I can imagine it might be an issue. Should I just pay for parking at O'Neill and walk over?

13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Megatower?

Faust29, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  14. Ebruner

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    I think that is the best bet. I'm getting there very early to help setup etc, but even then, I'll be parking in oneill. The entire lot will be full with demo setups and stations. Seriously this is going to be an awesome event but the only drawback is parking.

Indeed. As well as axs specified bikes to play around with and a few other just released cutting edge parts that you'll get to look and touch for the first time.

15. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Since it's like a 29er that's between a Bronson and a Nomad, I'm a little surprised they didn't call it a BroMad 29. But maybe they're saving that name for when they make an e-bike.

Danimal, herzalot, CBone and 5 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    HA HA HA HA HA HA!
    That was hilarious Dan. I spit pre-ride hydration onto my desk.

17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, pretty good internetting there!

Mikie, Faust29 and Grassblade23 like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You win the internet today, Mister. :thumbsup: :) :Roflmao

How do you make a BroMad?

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Put 26" wheels on his bike.

herzalot and Grassblade23 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?