What's your favorite hydration pack?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by kazlx, Aug 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can't imagine a hip pack with a 70 or 100 oz capacity. It seems it would be pretty cumbersome.

I received my hydration vest yesterday and I've only tried it on so far. It fits like, well, a vest. I'm anxious to fill up 50 oz bladder to see how it feels. It actually has several storage compartments so I think it will definitely be my go-to hydration pack for the summer.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yeah the largest Hip Pack I could find is your typical 1.5 Liter (50 oz.) Not going to get you very far out where I typically ride. :oops:

mtnbikej, mike, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess I could go with 50 oz in the pack and roughly 20 oz in a bottle both laced with Tailwind and not carry just pure water. I rarely drink out of my water bottle.

mtnbikej, mike, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have been doing just that when I need a little more fuel. Four scoops in one bottle and two scoops in the other. I fill both bottles with ice first and for some reason it seems to help not tire of the taste.

mike, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks Steve! Otherwise you like the Osprey as a Hip Pack? It carries 50 oz as well, correct?

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I wouldn't tote much more than a liter in a hip pack. I am considering another Wingnut pack, the 2.5l one:

2.5JPEG.jpg

Note that some people get confused when you start talking pack capacity in liters. They think you're talking bladder capacity. I don't buy packs that contain bladders. If not a bottle on the frame, I use my own Platypus bladders as I have for decades. Mostly the 2.5 and 1 liter sizes.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  7. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    It's 50 oz. I moved into it last night so I have not ridden with it yet.

8. Fijirob

Fijirob Member

Name:
    Rob
    So what do y'all recommend to conquer the Kokopelli? I was looking into the Osprey Raptor.

9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've still got one of those that I haven't been using lately. It's used but in good shape. Could let it go for $60 shipped, if interested I can send pics.

Danmtchl, MrGreedom, -ROCKY- and 3 others like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sure, ev, thanks for putting my name on it. :thumbsup:

Ping me your PP addy, please. TIA :geek:

Danmtchl, MrGreedom, -ROCKY- and 2 others like this.
  11. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I use one of these and i freekin love it. I don't have much else to say other then this is the only shoulder/back bound hydration pack that does not give me low back issues. With a 24oz bottle on the frame I'm good for rides up to about 3 hours +/-. More then that and I need to change over to something substantial. What of the main things I like about this thing is that it doesn't really seem to change weight distribution or comfort level when loaded as full as I can get it with food, clothing water etc. Enough storage room to carry arm warmers, my jacket, extra gloves etc etc.

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If it's hot I am definitely carrying 100 oz's. so my go to pack is my CamelBak Volt. Best dang pack I have ever had. If the weather is cool I might risk the Camelbak Hip Pack we have been talking about. I consume a lot of water on the trail so that is primary.

13. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I rode with the Seral Osprey for the first time last night. I can't say I'm in super love with this waist pack. I found myself stopping to tighten it up after it was catching on my seat. I'm not sure that it was a result of consuming the water and having the pack become more loose or it might have been the cinch buckles giving way.

mtnbikej, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have gotten so used to not riding with a pack that I was a little leery of trying yet another one. I'm so glad I did. The CamelBak Chase rides high and fits like a small life vest. With the 50 oz bladder full and a few tools and my phone you hardly notice it's there. There's plenty of storage though like all CamelBaks once you start stuffing it it's tough to get the bladder in. No biggie though. It also leaves full access to my jersey pockets in case I want to pack more essentials for a bigger ride. Thanks @Ebruner for your feedback. It's helped in my decision.

IMG_8421.jpg

15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Progression:

Camelbak-fannypack-bottles-fanny pack-Camelbak...

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yep.

17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yesterday I donated most of a 24oz bottle to a rider wearing a fanny pack and carrying a bottle...
    I drank about 4-6oz on the climb from JPL to Sunset. I found that I drank a lot more water if I carried it on my back.
    Usually, I will drink a 12oz water on the way to the trail. Two 24oz bottles have proven more than adequate for me, on rides up to 3hrs.
    Obviously, everyone is different, and your urine can be a great indication of your current hydration state.
    Clear and copious my friends.

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Funny you say that @rossage. I've done several monster rides on 2 bottles but knowing I had a little extra I definitely sipped more yesterday. It's also a lot more convenient to grab a hose as apposed to balancing a water bottle in one hand and negotiating singletrack with the other.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Too many different kinds of riding scenarios and styles to get boxed into one system. Options!

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    True. Interestingly, I had one bad run-out-of-water experience in CNF, and I never wish to repeat it. I always roll with a CamelBak M.U.L.E. with its 100 oz. reservoir. I recently bought a new one when my old one wore out... but otherwise I've been using the same pack for over ten years. I usually only fill it partially full, but the capacity is there when I need it. I have all my tools, spare tube, emergency blanket, couple of protein bars, bug net, etc, all stowed away where can easily access them, so I don't switch packs for different rides. On shorter rides where I won't be needing water, I'll roll with an empty reservoir... but the same pack.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  21. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I rode again with the Osprey Seral. I found myself adjusting the straps all day long. With one frame mounted bottle and 2 more bottles of water in each pocket combined with the Seral's 50 oz. That's 100 oz. After 36 miles 70-80 deg. 5,700 of climbing I returned to my truck with half a bottle of water left. I go through a lot of water. I've ordered the Wingnut 2.5l and will give it a try for rides lasting more than 3 hours.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Oh... and I should also add that I am a backpack guy vs. a water bottle guy. I've had one OTB where I believe my backpack saved my back from a serious impact. I view it almost like upper back armor.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, mike and 7 others like this.
  23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    After picking up an Osprey Syncro 10 recently I can't imagine wearing anything else. My shirt/jersey always ended up completely soaked with any other pack, in anything remotely approaching warm weather. The mesh frame that suspends the pack an inch or so off the back works like a charm in keeping me dry, and doesn't cause the pack to feel heavier even though it shifts weight slightly outboard. I lurv it.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, mike and 4 others like this.
  24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I thought you were talking about me for a minute there...
    I used my 70 Oz Charge Camelbak on our San Gabe ride on Saturday along with a small water bottle on my bike. When Ross was peeling off to go to work he offered me a refill on my water bottle, I was begging for that water! I was already out on my bottle and well into my Camelbak. I laced the Camelbak with a potent dose of Tailwind as I knew we had a descent climbing day. So my water serves two purposes, hydration and fuel as I don’t carry any other thing to eat except Tailwind.

I ran out of all my water, both bottle and Camelbak, before the last climb to El Prieto.
    I should have brought my 100oz Volt. I drink a lot of water on my rides. I would never make it on two water bottles. I think we were out ther for 6 hours.

I need to get better at prehydrating. I don’t think I drink enough water during the week.

Danmtchl, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    During the week... And on the way to the ride. In the warmer months, I'm a full bottle of Tailwind in before I ever get on the bike. I know how far I can go on a bottle, so that puts me well into the ride before I need to dip into the supplies.

Unless of course, you need to use half of your water to clean out your drive train... Like yesterday. :oops:

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks for that! @Voodoo Tom and I ride a lot together! Almost every Saturday. We have kinda a ritual where we stop at a Subway about an hour before the ride. We practically get the same thing. The hour to the trail gives my body about an hour to digest the breakfast. My plan has always been to start hydrating about 1 hour into the ride on the basis of fuel. Maybe I should start rethinking this.

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I drink plenty of water during the week. Pre ride for me is two cups of coffee and a 200 calorie Lenny and Larry's cookie. I'll start sipping on the Tailwind about an hour in. It took me awhile to learn that too big of a breakfast and I would be suffering the first hour in.

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This preemptive strategy can’t be overstated, especially for riders with otherwise demanding lifestyles. @Mikie, you self diagnosed this one. It’s kind of a hassle to be running to the wizzer every half hour at work, but it pays big dividends. You will bring and need less if you camel up a day or two beforehand. Depletion training is real, but going all week with little water doesn’t really count. (Guilty here sometimes.)

But do be wary of overdoing it. That would be taking in too much too quickly, which I did once and it was a disaster. I can see how it could be used as torture. Consistent, moderate water intake 48 hour in advance seems to work pretty well.

29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    FYI
    proper daily water consumption for a SEDENTARY person is minimum 1/2 your body weight in ounces. MINIMUM FOR LAZY ASSES! Us hardcore extreme athletes require much more. Drink up that water all day every day kids!

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    One of the side effects of my heart medication is cottonmouth so it's become easy for me to drink at least a gallon of water a day. Double that for the hottest summer days.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?