What's your favorite hydration pack?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by kazlx, Aug 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Anyone here using the Camelbak Chase bike vest? I'm looking for something a little less cumbersome then by 100oz volt.
    s-l400.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg

2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Danmtchl, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Name:
    AKA:Alan
    I've been using a Wingnut 2.5 for a few years and really like it. It gets the weight off the upper back but I can still hold plenty, Camelbak's 100 oz lumbar bladder fits in it perfectly. I also love having the hip pockets that I can access without taking the pack off.

4. ricke24

ricke24 Member

Name:
    RickE
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010C
    I hate carrying anything on my back, especially in the summer, I feel like it weights me down and makes me sweat more, I usually just carry a 24 oz bottle of water. I do have the Camelback Skyline, it sits kind of low but still only take it if I know it's going to be a long day in the saddle.

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Osprey Raptor

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's why I was asking about the vest specifically. I usually carry a bottle on my bike and one in my jersey pocket. In the summer I just plan my rides around available water stops. If I leave my area and water sources are unknown then I take my CamelBak Volt. It's comfortable but I'm looking for something that evenly distributes the load front and rear.

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    70 oz. Camelbak Charge. I think you suggested it. You not liking it anymore?
    The Volt and the Charge, if set up correctly sit on your hips and not on your shoulders. Bladder sits on your lumbar instead of your back.
    I rarely ride anywhere where there is a water supply to refill at, so I just use a camelback.

That thing looks even hotter! :gag:

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I can't speak about the vest, Ed... But I did recently pick up a Camelbak Repack hip pack. For days that I need to pack the kitchen sink, I like the Osprey Syncros. But, I was looking for something that I could carry tools, pump, keys, jacket, etc... The Repack does all that and it sits on the hips. I wore it for True Grit this weekend, instead of strapping everything to the Hightower. After a few minutes, I forget it was there... I can fit just about everything in it that the larger pack can handle. The only exception is my heavy raincoat...

It has a 50 ounce bladder, but with the cold weather, I haven't even tried it yet. I've only been carrying a bottle on most rides...

9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I actually have the Volt and thought about the Charge but it's still hanging on your back no matter how comfortable it is. I'm just curious if the vest would be even more comfortable as it distributes the weight front and rear.

I actually have the Repack Steve and like my other hydration packs it still hangs off the back.

The olive color is on sale for $50 so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Worst case I send it back.

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess that's why I'm confused. The vest is still going to hang off your back unless they are putting water in front to balance it out.
    Curious as to what you think of it. :thumbsup:

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's what I intend to do at least on the warmer days. It's actually designed to hold two of these collapsible flasks in the front pockets. That brings capacity up to 84oz.
    10338060x1012549_zm.jpeg

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl, mike and 5 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Now that's ingenious... I can see a couple of those frozen during the summer.

13. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    The framed mesh panel on the back keeps it slightlyraisedfrom your back and does allow pretty goodairflow

Best feature I like about the osprey pack

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I had not thought of that! It will make it air conditioned as well!

15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I use generic collapsible bottles and shove them in the side back pockets on my bib shorts. The 17oz. Camelbak ones aren't enough. The ones I use are 22oz. Freeze them during the summer months keeps your hips nice and chilled. On hot days the ice melts completely within two hours.

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  16. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    How do these genius ideas continue to escape me?
    I introduce to you The Wine Rack!
    I'm going to start serving chocolate milk from my fanny pack.

51MFgDvet9L._SL1000_.jpg

17. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Pack of hydration...

36410.jpg

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Next you'll break out the Old Milwaukee. :gag:

19. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    At the Sedona Bike Festival I was looking at the Osprey Seral waist hydration pack but they only had Red. When I returned home and tried to order one on Amazon but had a long lead time. So I ordered one from REI and received it. I decided I don't care for the front handle bar mounted bag because on the rare occasion I catch air the bag was beating up the brake cables to much and that was from weight of the multi tool in the front bag. Other than that the bag held my jacket for rainy weather. So I'm reserved to tying the jacket around my waist for such days. As a bonus REI gave me $ 55.00 dividend for spending a bunch on a sleeping bag, tent and air mattress I had purchased a couple of months ago for bike packing purposes before Kokopeli jumped to the front of the line and has seemingly derailed bikepacking for now.

3F70C295-B8ED-4F07-9D3A-0C0C57E4EFA5.jpeg

20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Nope! Next is some Oly! "It's the water" ;)

GUEST_3033440e-c076-41cb-a29a-c48bd88adcbd?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Uhhh, no thank you... :gag:
    2and720_062803_2.JPG

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Bears screwing! You west coasters are so spoiled... :p

My "good" beer was made with the polluted waters of the Genesee River- where among other notable features, Eastman Kodak dumped all of their chemicals for a good part of the 20th century.

We lovingly referred to the cream ale as The Green Death... They still make it, but I've never actually met anyone who admits to drinking it. I certainly wouldn't put it in a hydration pack. Hmmmm... Maybe I can get some for Kokopelli. :p
    il_794xN.1595993972_knmz.jpg

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I can't believe that stuff is still around! That's all my dad and brothers drank when we lived in Oregon.

24. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sooooo... you are saying you are well "developed" from drinking Eastman Kodak chemically saturated beer? :rolleyes:

Interesting. Upon a second look at your beer pic's. That is some thick azz brew, especially if you have to light it like a candle. o_O Or is that really all the can is good for?

I think we should get back to @MrGreedom 's post about Rack Wine. I like the way he thinks...

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I know hip packs have sort of an image problem, but I’m really liking that system in conjunction with some small frame bags and bottles.

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I actually like my hip pack and still use it for hiking. It just doesn't go with lycra. :gag:

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, MrGreedom and 5 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I agree. On my "In Week Rides" after work ride I try to get in a minimum of an hour sometimes up to two hours and all I use then is a hip pack for tube and tools and a water bottle. I really like the hip pack and I would be interested in trying a Camelbak type hip pack. I would need at least 70 oz. and prefer 100 oz. in the dead of the heat.

You "Roadies" are so stuck on your image.:p Function before fashion baby! Function before fashion... :rolleyes:

28. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol, I picked up a hip pack a few months ago for the heck of it, I think it may be Lycra!!! :laugh:

Danmtchl, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Strongly recommend the Camelbak hip pack... It is comfortable and fits everything you would need to carry, except for rides that require double clothing options. The 50 ounce bladder is short of your 70 requirement, but add a bottle and you're there. I got mine for $39 when I found one on sale at Jensons.

I've been using it on "regular" rides lately, as well as at True Grit. I like that it seems to disappear, and I forget that I'm wearing it.

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, MrGreedom and 6 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I offloaded most of what was in my backpack to my bike – contingency gear, water (bottle), snacks. The hip pack carries extra water/food/layers as needed. This works well for most rides, especially in places where I can treat ground water with my Steripen. Sometimes I do want a small backpack for long, dry days, iffy weather, multi-day or harder tech stuff, but it ends up super light because I tend to keep most of that stuff on my bike now. I'm not a pack/no-pack fanatic either way. I think splitting it up works great. I do take more contingency gear (PLB and first aid kit) than most.

I agree, Steve, that a hip pack is minimally invasive. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?