True Grit Epic 2019

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, Oct 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-09-19
  1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... @horsebikerider @mtnbikej and I went out and rode Barrel Roll in the morning. I'll have some video of that later... After that, J and I went out and played on the Three Fingers of Death and Bear Claw Poppy. Horsebikerider made lunch while we did extra extra credit. Lunch was awesome...

Fun recovery day with about 20 miles and 2000 feet total.

Footage from Jason's runs down The Three Fingers as well as some Bear Claw footage...

Grego, Cisco Roots, Danimal and 12 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeah, Sunday was recovery/play ride day.

Since I didn't get to ride Barrel Roll on Saturday, that would be our destination. We loaded up into the truck and drove over....we started to unload when one of the 3 of us realized they forgot their helmet in the other car. :bang: No problem...it was only a 10 min. drive. Once back at the condo....another one of us in the truck realized they had forgot to put on their Garmin VivoSport.....I waited in the truck while the other retrieved their items.

Back at the parking lot, we geared up and headed out. Suz was feeling good...as she just took off. We did take a wrong turn and did a little bit of extra credit climbing.

Once on trail we were good to go.

Suz lead the first part of the climb. She set the pace, and it was on the quicker side. We stopped a few times for pics.IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4618.JPG IMG_7548.JPG IMG_7549.JPG IMG_7550.JPG IMG_7550.JPG IMG_7554.JPG IMG_7540.JPG IMG_7556.JPG IMG_7557.JPG IMG_7542.JPG IMG_7543.JPG IMG_7546.JPG IMG_7545.JPG IMG_7544.JPG IMG_7547.JPG

Suz wanted to session a couple of spots that gave her trouble on Saturday. I agreed. There were to spots that I had not been able to figure out....mostly because I have only ridden this trail during the race and didn't have the luxury of stopping to scope it out.

The first spot was a rock garden/water fall that looks tricky when you roll into it blind...and there are a few "alt" lines that would eat most riders up.

This is looking up from the bottom.....
    IMG_7556.JPG

I rode it a few times and figured out the line. I showed/walked the line with Suz.....she felt she had it figured out.

@horsebikerider

She ended up doing a few times. @Faust29 .....well, let's just say he couldn't see the line and didn't ride it.

From there was a tricky rock garden that leads up to a up and over through a pair of large boulders. Looked at it and figured it out. Not nearly as bad as it looked. The other 2 didn't get it.

The rest of the ride was great. Had fun jumping and popping off the different rocks on the trail. The climbing was much easier with fresh'er legs.

IMG_4624.JPG IMG_4625.JPG IMG_4619.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That might suck on the hardtail, but it still looks like fun!!!!

Faust29, Mikie, -ROCKY- and 3 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I was feeling good and wanted more. So we headed back to the condo. Steve and I headed over to Bear Claw Poppy for a extra extra credit ride.

We ended up strapping the GoPro to my bike. Played a little bit on the drops at the start.

The race course had a few of the "most difficult" lines blocked....so it was fun to go back and hit some of the bigger drops. Steve would take the safe way around.

Got to play around with the multitude of line choices on the way down. The one line that wasn't much of a choice was the "Uphill" one way trail....or the first 2 miles of the Stucki Springs climb.

IMG_4626.JPG

Back at the starting drops, I wanted to give it another run. This time I had the line dialed....it was fun.

Yeah, the tables were turned on the steep climb back up to the water tank when the camera was on.....walk with the evidence on film...or clean it.

Good times.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I've done it the previous 3 years on the hardtail.

Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 7 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Love seeing how everyone added extra credit onto the trip. You drive that far, make it count!

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

NVM

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Spammer.

Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Gotta support the photographers!

TG19-140.jpg

10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I see @HBkites made the highlight reel.

12. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I saw someone that had what looked like your smile but the bike wasn't yours....

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Yup, not me.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    It's gone....I waste my 15 minutes of fame sleeping.
    I guess now I have a reason to do it again next year ;-)

15. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    That's weird.....wonder why?

mtnbikej likes this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?