Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. stiksandstones

stiksandstones Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    craig glaspell
    Current Bike:
    evil
    I have not seen it posted in Weir that eMTB is not allowed, nor is it part of the OCparks network, do you know for sure where it's posted? I am using my eMTB while I recover from a 14mm herniation on L5 disc, docs say I am not supposed to ride, but, I have to ride my bike. Once im stronger, ill park this heavy thing, but not many options to ride legally.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Weir Canyon falls under the rules of Santiago Oaks.....however it is not a Regional Park, it is a Wilderness Park.

At the end of the day, it is still not legal to ebikes in Weir Canyon. We stopped and talked to the rangers back there in the past, and they confirmed they are not allowed.

Bottom line is, in the Oaks/Weir/Irvine Park area.....the only place legal to ride an ebike is the paved road around Irvine Park....you cannot take them into the dirt.

Mikie, Rumpled, DangerDirtyD and 6 others like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    http://www.ocparks.com/parks/aliso/news/details?NewsID=5523&TargetID=41

I think some/most ebike riders are willfully ignoring reality. If ebikes were indeed allowed, I’d be the first to show up with a ktm E-XC, but you know, they aren’t. They just aren’t. People need to stop lying to themselves.

Edit: I should add that your injury is the same one that ended my wife’s Ironman career, so I know what you are dealing with.

Mikie, Cornholio, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  4. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    There is a Trail Stewardship at Laguna Coast Wilderness Park happening November 11 from 8-12

http://www.ocparks.com/parks/lagunac/events

Unfortunately I already have plans that day, but sounds like a good time.

Mikie, Cornholio, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  5. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
    This whole staying on authorized trails only thing is pretty easy!

33696A18-D159-482A-AF29-50306AB82DB2.jpeg

konakc, Mikie, Grassblade23 and 16 others like this.
  6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Welcome back Mo. I ate Sh!t doing that wall ride! Tried to stay up too long.

I believe this Saturday, Nov. 11 trail work is on Lizard (at least that was what the signup sheet at the LCF Trails forum said).

Mikie, herzalot, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think you need to meet @burt . That's about how he passed me on SART last year!

Mikie, herzalot, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  8. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well done sir.

I rode half of that yesterday. I won't tell you how the other half went. At least I didn't fall in the creek - this time.

Mikie, CBone, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  10. Mtnbikejwl

Mtnbikejwl Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    John Lusty
    Current Bike:
    Nomad
    I am surprised no one has commented on the "safe and sustainable" trail work done at the very bottom of Car Wreck (just past the car). I liked that last little tech section up over the rocks and over the roots. Hopefully this is not a sign of changes scheduled for the rest of the trail.

Mikie, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  11. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    From a week or so ago...
    https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/i-rode-my-bike-today.2149/page-505#post-156502
    It's sad seeing it in person.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.
  12. stiksandstones

stiksandstones Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    craig glaspell
    Current Bike:
    evil
    Thanks for link, I've been riding 'legally' over in chino hills, because its close to work....wish I could head over to Weir or Irvine, but, I will suffer on my Mountain Bike haha. The link provided still doesnt show me anything about Weir canyon though, nor is it posted over there, but, I don't want to piss anyone off or break rules, thanks fellas!

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  13. Brian Liu

Brian Liu Newbie

Name:
    brianliu03
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Hey guys, newbie here, made an account to join in on the conversation. Saw on an IG post earlier today on a ranger spotted at the top of the telonics pushing something down. Anyone know what he was doing?

Mikie, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Gravity test, maybe.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Welcome to the best little Mt B Forum west of the Pecos. Ride a lot, write a lot.

I was up at ToW today. Didn't see anything noteworthy, but then, I didn't ride Telonics either.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I had a near-disaster this morning on 5-Oaks trail. There was a large tree that had either fallen into or was dragged into the ditch next to the first bridge at the bottom of the trail. I realized too late that the route through the ditch, that had been the preferred route over the past 3 or more years, was blocked by a large downed tree branch. Luckily, I was riding cautiously just prior to the bridge - but not slow enough to stop safely or to get onto the bridge. I got wedged in between the bridge and the downed tree.

In analyzing the area, it looks to me like the tree was either brought there or left there intentionally by someone doing trail work. There were many fresh chainsaw cuts on surrounding trees - fresh enough that sawdust was still visible. So whoever was cutting up trees in that area either decided to alter the route by dragging a tree into the ditch or, if it had fallen there naturally, chose to leave it blocking the trail rather than to cut it up. The route through the ditch was an endorsed route, based on the pavers that LCF had installed a year or two ago (see photo).

I hadn't ridden 5-Oaks since the last bout of rain, so I rode the whole trail cautiously - about 3/4 of my normal pace. As I approached the last steep section (that ends in wooden stairs, a blind left turn and the bridge or ditch), I saw a cone next to the large tree. Seems like a good place to store a cone for doing trail work, but my spidy senses told me something was up. I was right, but it certainly wasn't clear that a route had been blocked.

After my incident, I moved the cone to where someone can see it coming down the steep section and has to adjust his/her line to the left (over the bridge) to avoid the cone.

Bottom line is that choosing to close a formerly endorsed line at the bottom of a steep technical section of trail, on a blind turn without any attempts to warn the rider could be disastrous. Someone (with a chainsaw) chose to leave the tree there or worse, put it there intentionally with no appropriate warning above, save for a cone tucked next to a tree out of the way in an inconspicuous spot.

I saw an LCF truck and crew in Aliso today, parked on Wood Canyon road, near the intersection with Coyote trail. I didn't see anyone, or I would have asked them to go up and cut up the tree. It needs to be removed immediately, or some serious warning signs/caution tape, more cones or something needs to alert riders about the significant change.

5-Oaks Tree Blockage.JPG
    In the above photo, you can see the pavers installed by LCF endorsing the line through the ditch. You can also see a freshly broken piece of bridge, courtesy of my left hip.

5-Oaks Cone.JPG
    In this photo, you can see where I moved the cone. This is looking downhill. It is steep here, with a wooden staircase past the large tree, above the cone. Had the cone been here, I would have known there was a problem, and I couldn't possibly have gone through the ditch into the downed tree. When I rode this section, the cone was barely visible, just in front of the tree trunk on the right. It just looked like it was being stored there.

Someone with a chainsaw did a lot of work there. He/they chose to place a tree or leave a tree in a very dangerous position on a blind turn on a route that had been previously encouraged - a route that the fastest riders rely on.

I wrote to LCF and offered to go help remedy the situation. I don't want anyone seriously injured due to questionable decision making by a trail crew.

BonsaiNut, MrGreedom, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    If someone put that there on purpose, that is complete lunacy. Everyone takes that line. If it was not the parks, that is straight up trail sabotage.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  18. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
    I actually called OC Parks and reported this a few days ago and was told it would be taken care of. I even gave them my phone number and told them exactly where it was and told them it wasn’t “if” but “when” someone gets hurt on it. If someone gets hurt it is no one else’s fault but OC Parks and LCF. And even if you were going less than 10mph you could still get seriously injured. This is extremely disappointing to see and if they get sued it is no ones fault but their own. They’ve already been warned multiple times...

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Rumpled and 7 others like this.
  19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Lawyer talk..contributory negligence..no more...

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  20. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Wow, thanks for posting. May avoid 5 oaks tomorrow then.

Mikie, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yikes! Glad you’re ok Herz!! Or are you injured and not sharing?

Mikie, Faust29 and herzalot like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm fine, thanks. A bump on my left leg, just below my hip. TLD elbow/forearm guards absorbed a good portion of the contact. I was going pretty slow by the time I made contact, thankfully.

Next bike down after I moved the cone was....

...an e-bike.

He bailed on the stairs section. :facepalm:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Rumpled and 6 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The rest of the trail is fine. Just make sure you take the bridge at the bottom.

Mikie, mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Probly gonna hit LCWP anyway, heard LCF did some work on TNA and want to check that out.

Mikie, herzalot, littlewave and 2 others like this.
  25. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Any of the OC parks open (for riding)?
    The trails should be mostly dry by now, and more rain is on the way....... Come on OC park rangers, all I need is a two hours window this afternoon. I want to ride!

Driving to SST is a pain for me, but I might be force fight the traffic gods, to find some OC dirt.

26. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    February 12, 19 08:17 AM
    Laguna Coast Wilderness Park - : All trails closed due to wet and muddy conditions

February 12, 19 08:16 AM
    Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park - : All trails closed due to wet and muddy conditions

Old Camp here I come. Out there by 345-4pm. Hope to be rolling soon there after. The Path shop ride to Luge was cancelled because they said it's still soggy. Nah. I watch out not to leave any marks..

27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Maple Springs is good during and after the rain.

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yup.....was up there this afternoon.

Cyclotourist, Rumpled and Faust29 like this.
  29. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I was looking for a little more action the MS has to offer.... I ended up riding the SST/Louge loop. Fun time, but way too short.
    The place was packed. I must have passed 10 riders on the way tot he flag, but the one that I could pass in the Louge hurt the most.
    I was trying not to be a dick about it but I think that rider is adding me to his Xmess card list.
    We didn't exchange any words but my present messed him up on the first uphill at the end of the run. He stopped, then I stopped, then he couldn't get going. At that point, I told him "take your time"........ he did.

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Maple to Motorway. Fine in the rain and more action than the Luge loop with no traffic. Just watch out for the angry lion.