Vonn's 64th World Cup win "inconceivable" to me

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Jan 29, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you may have heard that Lindsey Vonn won her 63rd and 64th World Cup ski races last week - at the age of 30. I cannot comprehend the athleticism, courage, tenacity, threshold for pain, etc. that she displayed to get there. Most of the top echelon of ski racers are happy to earn World Cup points. 10 wins is an awesome career. 64? Get out of here.

And Lindsey did it in the speed side of the sport - Downhill and SuperG where the falls are brutal and extreme knee injuries plentiful. The great Swede Ingemar Stenmark won some 80 ski races in the 1980s, but he was only racing slalom and giant slalom - the two slower and safer of the four ski racing disciplines.

RESPECT!!!!

Oh, and at least Tiger Woods is getting near the top of the leaderboard again - by proxy.

Fijirob, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  2. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    That's very cool! But alas I have been living under a rock this week. Time to climb out now.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    World Championships start next week in Vail/Beaver Creek. I would to see Vonn, Bode Miller, Ted Ligety and Michaela Shiffrin all find a way to score gold. Love the Grampa Bode Audi commercial about taking risks.

Here is Ruby getting psyched for World Champs last summer:

RubyFISWorldChamps.jpg

Danmtchl likes this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Bronze for Vonn in the Super G at World Championships. One more chance for Gold in the DH. Still rooting for Vonn (DH), Miller (DH, SG), Shiffrin (SL) and Ligety (GS, SL) to all get a gold! That would be a record.

I'll pretend any of you care about other mountain sports. Skiing is very similar to MtB, btw. :thumbup: :wave:

Danmtchl likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ahhh crap... 5th place in the DH. She was a little ragged and got on her uphill ski a couple of times. Bummer. 1.05 seconds off.

And this news REALLY SUCKS! <a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2015/02/05/bode-miller-crash-super-g/22928645/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... /22928645/</a>

I'll still pretend anyone cares.

I'll stop rooting for the Americans right now before I cause any more disastrous results. Go Austria! Go Slovenia!

OTHRider and Danmtchl like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't follow skiing much, even though I did grow up on skis... Hard to avoid when there was a 10,000 square mile patch of frozen lake right out my back door. :D

The Wall Street Journal had a pretty good article this week on her physical training, and the changes she's made on the road back.

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    My strategy is working! American Travis Ganong got Silver in the World Champs DH, and Steve Nyman was just off the podium in 4th. Nice!

Bode's in the hospital. Not nice.

Go Austria, Switzerland, France, Norway and Slovenia!!!! :silent: :shh:

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    SPOILER ALERT! I know most of you recorded the World Championships coverage so you will be watching ski racing instead of the Grammys tonight. If that's you, do not read any further...

The "I'm gonna root for another country" strategy is still having a positive effect. Today was the super combined - which is one run of DH combined with one run of slalom. No, not at the same time and thankfully not on the same skis. The DH guys spend little or no time training slalom, and the slalom guys spend little or no time training DH - so why not put the two disciplines together as one race and make everyone feel awkward?

Today the last place DH qualifier got the gold with a ridiculously smoking run of SL. The second-to-last place DH qualifier - our very own Ted Ligety - uncorked a smokin' slalom run of his own to claim the bronze for the event. Very entertaining.

In actuality, they only took the top 30 finishers from the DH to advance to the Slalom, so Hirscher finished the DH in 30th, Ligety in 29th. Regardless - good stuff from those two.

Now I need a strategy to bump our skiers from silvers and bronzes up to gold. Maybe if I root for the Canadians! Or the Seahawks! (What - too soon?)

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Finally! US Gets a gold at World Championships through the stellar skiing of Mikaela Shiffrin in Slalom! She won the first run handily, but lost her lead halfway down the second run - only to accelerate with a blast over the last ten seconds of the course to get her win by 0.3 total. So, at age 19 she has two Slalom World Championships Golds, 1 Olympic Gold and two World Cup Slalom season championships globes. Not bad. I raced Masters with her mom before I left Colorado in 1999 - she smoked me, if I recall.

Mens' slalom tomorrow. Go Canada! :shh:

EDIT: I just found out that Ted Ligety won the GS yesterday! That gives him three straight World Championship Golds in GS. Uh---mazing. Not sure how I missed this yesterday, except I've been getting home at 9pm over the past week. Ligety has won a ton of World Cup races and globes as well. I believe he earned several Olympic medals too.

Now we're talking! So veterans Vonn and Miller couldn't quite pull it together (Vonn did manage a bronze in Super G), but the other studs pulled through!

:thumbup:

mountaingirl sara and Danmtchl like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Funny - 4 years later the 64 wins I called inconceivable in 2015 jumped to 82 since then. Mind blowing given the severity and frequency of her injuries.

Lindsey finished her World Cup/World Championship ski racing career today with a courageous and precise performance good enough for a podium finish (bronze) at World Championships in the DH. This after a nasty crash in the Super G on Tuesday in which she slapped the slope with her face at 65 mph. After ten minutes to collect her wits, she put her skis back on and skied down.

The GOAT - the notoriously shy Swede Ingemar Stenmark (86 World Cup wins) - was there for Lindsey today. Her suit was white with blue and gold stripes in homage to the host nation Sweden and Ingemar. Worth noting that Stenmark got all of his wins in slalom and GS - the slower, technical events where injuries are not that common compared to Vonn who was a DH and SG racer mostly.

I was hoping that she and the amazing Aksel Lund Svindal from Norway who retired after grabbing silver in the mens DH yesterday would announce their engagement today and go off to a trailer and reproduce. But I learned today that Vonn is all in on PK Subban of the Nashville Predators. Damn.

Thank you Lindsey. You are amazing. Any athlete in any sport can learn a lot from your career.

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Who is Lindsey Vonn?

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Tiger Woods ex GF?

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    She invented those diagrams, right!

mike, mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    PK Subban!

mike, mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Not into watching sports on tv unless it’s Red Bull, X games kind of stuff...I get bored easily ;)

mike likes this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wow, Lindsey Vonn is an even better athlete than Kelly Slater!!!

What’s a TV?

18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  19. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol, I love that bit!:Roflmao

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Speaking of which...Happy Birthday Kelly Slater!

mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Lindsey is sponsored by Red Bull, so...

mike, mtnbikej and mountaingirl sara like this.
  22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    LOL almost posted the same thing. :laugh:

mike, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?