Blackstar Break-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stkx66, Feb 8, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    And I thought this only happens to other people...I didn't notice until my wife pointed it out to me at lunch today. I used my remote to open my truck when I came back from Beeks. I was parked in the dirt against the fence where many park just on the other side of the wash at the gate at Blackstar. Not the tree farm. They didn't get my truck open. They possibly didn't have time to smash the glass. My truck was parked all by itself.

552DC3C6-B62C-4705-9D09-45378A783F36.jpeg

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Sigh. People can be such dicks. Guess that's why we have prisons.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You're the second one we've heard about in the last couple weeks. The other one was at the tree farm, and ended up with broken windows. So I guess neither end is safe. That really sucks... :thumbsdown:

4. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    My back seat has water bottles, riding clothes, tire pump etc. Riding clutter. I could definitely clean up my act and have it be less desirable for thieves. I'm going to clean out my truck for future visits including the glove box and center console. It will be interesting to see what the face of the lock looks like when I get it replaced.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It would be sweet to set up a sting and nail some lowlife.

Bummed to hear it, Steve.

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    May be time to print a couple of these, put one on your dash and the other in the rear window. Then again crackheads will be crackheads.

upload_2019-2-8_15-27-55.jpeg

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Dare I say it?????

Lack of consequences leads to lack of civilization.

If you don't want this to happen, make the consequences untenable.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes - cut off their hands!

9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    They’ll never do it again.

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It is a Chevy.....are you sure the lock didn't just fall in on it's own? Just seems odd that they would take the time to punch your lock in, instead of just smashing the window.

Just a thought.

If it was a break in attempt, that just really sucks.

11. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out. - Thomas Babington Macaulay
    Or
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. - Luke 6:31

I don't need the threat of prison to keep me from breaking your car's window and rummaging around for loose change. In fact, if I found a $20 lying under your car door, I would probably leave a note on your windshield letting you know how to contact me. I'm not saying this to brag or make myself look cool - I honestly believe there are lots of honest people out there, but it is the few bad ones who get all the press.

I just read a book on the Yukon Gold Rush, and one of the fascinating things was the fact that the Canadian Mounties required each prospector to bring one year's supply of food with them (in addition to mining supplies) in order to enter Canada. These supplies had to be carried by hand over some passes because the route was too steep for pack animals or sled dogs. Since there was no possible way to secure that much equipment in the frozen snow fields, prospectors would leave their supplies in piles out in the snow while they passed back and forth up the pass - in a trip that would take them half a day if they were healthy. No one touched anyone else's kit... because it was the unspoken law that if anyone touched your supplies it was justification to kill him.

yukon.jpg

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    @Stkx66, could this have happened elsewhere? I always use the remote to unlock and lock the door so I have my doubts that I would notice right away if this were to have happened to my vehicle.

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Those checkered pants are Boss!

14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    And not a smile in the group.... Guess the bartender was out of whisky...

15. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Drinkin' is serious business. Those were the days... when kids could belly up to the bar.

16. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Yes, however I used my key to unlock my truck that morning. It could have happened in front of my house during the night but there are no reports of any other vehicle being broken into in our immediate neighborhood. We do however have door checkers that rifle interiors of cars but none in our area that same night. My truck has a bright motion light that shines on it on if anybody goes near it during the night. I also have a decent camera system that captures activity. I didn't bother watching 10 hours of footage when there were no reported other break-ins in our immediate area. Most crime in our neighborhood is directed toward electric and plumbing trucks with a few catalytic converters here and there. Am I 100% it happened at Blackstar? No. But 99% yes. This post should simply be a message to all to keep your interiors of your vehicles as clean as possible. You make your own luck.

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thinking the same exact thing.

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have come across signs like these when riding “interesting” places. They got my attention.

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    That photo was taken at the grand opening of the Dawson Opera House, July 4, 1899, Yukon Territory. Not sure how much opera singing was going on, but I see lots of whiskey barrels! The river was only navigable for a couple of months each year - so July meant fresh booze!

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    His name was Hugo.

21. luvmammoth

luvmammoth Member

Name:
    DW
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy3
    Love that you can ride Bstar at night. However, I never feel comfortable parking there, day or night, unless there are a lot of cars. There are always fresh piles of window glass near the entrance, which is where I park. Sorry to hear about your truck getting f'd with.

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think they still had to be able to see over it.

mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Imagine if you were someone's great-grandfather.... listening to Sh!t from today's kids. What a great "back in MY day story..." and then you whip this photo out.

24. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Biblical - Exodus 22:2: "If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him."

If you're not so much into the religious aspect, well, stealing is one of the most heinous crimes that can be committed, and deserves the harshest punishment.

I don't really care whether or not you agree. I've been in places where thieving can get you eliminated. I agree with that sentiment.

25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Just saw this on the nextdoor site...

763E9D94-B8BA-4BE7-9BD9-61036800FE40.jpeg

26. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    When I returned to my truck at the tree farm in the dark last night the first thing I did was count windows. Cool all there. Door lock? Check. The dealership charged me over $500 to repair. It may be best to not look like your hiding things under seats when you arrive before you start your ride. Take care of that stuff at home.

BA5C7A9B-4586-4DD5-976B-A0D4ECA07603.jpeg

Cyclotourist, mike, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Are you guys seeing shady people hanging around there when you park or pass through?

28. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :devilish::(

29. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Probably time to start parking in Silverado...

Cyclotourist, HBkites, mike and 3 others like this.
  30. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Last ride I did a few weeks ago I saw a guy with two young looking girls. Just parked on the opposite side of road near tree farm. When I rode up the road toward them I noticed he was pulling up his pants and one of the girls was standing back up. The other girl was just standing there smoking and watching. They watched me ride by then got into their car and drove away. Not going to judge, but there are better places to get down.
    With a new truck I just don't feel comfortable parking on that stretch of road unless there are several cars coming and going.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?