SDMBA Archipelago Ride

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by pperrelle, Jan 16, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 04-06-19
  1. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Ride Name: SDMBA Archipelago Ride
    When: Saturday, April 6th
    Time: TBD
    Where: North County San Diego
    Ride Description or Details:
    "Full Arch" Ride: Riders will meander their way from San Elijo Park to Green Flash Brewing Co. in Mira Mesa, experiencing a variety of terrain through the open spaces of central San Diego County. The point-to-point route will cover just short of 50 miles and almost 5000 feet of climbing and is a serious endeavor route and participants must train for it to be physically able to handle this extreme level of physical challenge. Start logging those miles now. Three fully stocked aid stations will be at approximately mile 12, 22, and 34.

"Half Arch" Ride: A "pint-sized" version of the classic covering approximately 20 miles and 2500 feet of elevation gain starting at Sun Devil Way at Black Mountain Open Space Park, hitting up aid station #3 at Black Mountain Community Park (at approximately mile 6) and continuing on to Green Flash Brewing Company along the traditional Full Arch Route.

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    San Elijo Park, San Marcos
    Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
    Ride Pace:
    Type of Ride:
    Point A to B
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    20 & 50 mile options
    Elevation Gain: 2.5k or 5k
    Ride Duration:
    Previous Ride Reports:
    https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/rr-archipelago-ride-2018.7202/#post-124692

https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/archipelago-2015-and-ass-rash.2449/page-2#post-164203

Possible Bail-Outs:
    Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Aid stations
    Option to Upload:

2. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  4. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    This used to be open to SDMBA members only due to demand. This year I think they got a larger permit so it is open to the public.

Worth doing for anyone especially those from out of town who wants to check out some stuff you wouldn't normally ride.

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm VERY much hoping to do it... coordinating with Carmel Valley peeps to see what the bed & breakfast availability is!

Route generally the same over the years?

https://www.strava.com/segments/17342240

Tom the Bomb and Mikie like this.
  6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    There have been some changes over the years as the event morphed from loosely organized to legit with permits. Requires some permissions from private landowners and others. But the bulk of the route stays the same. They usually don't provide a GPS track but flag the course instead, which isn't everyone's preference. But sometimes permissions are received late so the GPS track isn't always feasible.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    mtnbikej, -ROCKY- and Mikie like this.
  8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Pre-rode the course a couple weekends ago. I'll post some pics up later. I'm sweeping one of the later sections so hopefully I don't see anyone at that point. Haven't decided if I'm going to ride the whole thing again.

mtnbikej, pperrelle and -ROCKY- like this.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S