Best Shoes for Riding Flat Pedals?

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thread resurrection once again!!! :cool:

None of the usual, big name online sellers have the colors or size I want in 5-10 Freeriders.

I am open to another brand that is similar to the Freerider model. Help?

Cisco Roots, mike, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  2. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
  3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I just ordered a pair of the Ride Concepts Hellion. Its a bit more durable than the Livewire, and fits wider, according to the employee I talked to. Should arrive tomorow.
    my current shoes are specialized 2fo 2.0's, which are very comfortable (soft midsole like a running shoe, but still firm in the outsole for pedaling) yet work great for HAB. Thyere almot worn out thought id try something else, they are a bit narrow in the toebox.

Cisco Roots, mike, MrGreedom and 4 others like this.
  4. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    The Path just posted they received a recent shipment of 5ten to their shop. Call and ask.

Cisco Roots, mike, MrGreedom and 2 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've pretty much given up on 5.10 now. The last few pairs have completely fallen apart way too soon. Toe and most of the sole separating from the shoe. Prior to Adidas deal they lasted a lot longer than this. Pretty disappointing.

For Xmas I got a pair of la sportiva trail runners. The grip isn't quite as good but I'm getting used to it. They will be fine for regular trail riding and great for HAB. For dh and tougher trails I'll keep using the fragile 5.10s. Or what's left of them.

Mikie, Cisco Roots, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I have a pre Adidas pair in my collection. I dont ride flats anymore so they will be there for me when I need them.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Five Ten shoes haven't been known for longevity, IME. A couple of stand-out models here and there.

There's nothing magical about flat-specific "bike" shoes. Any approach-type shoe with sticky rubber will work similarly. The dots rubber on the Guide Tennie is what the popular Impact and other "bike" shoes used. I honestly can't tell any difference between an approach shoe and a bike shoe on the vast majority of terrain I ride. There might be some sustained, chunky uphill section that requires all kinds of weighting/unweighting and precise pedaling – where any flat shoe will be pressed to not roll a pedal. An oversized, stiff sole could make a difference there.

I find it easier to keep my feet warm in approach shoes over, say, Freerider Contact. The Freeriders have very little room in the toe box, and that can mean cold toes. I also like that toe space (and a rubber toe cap) for those times I drill a foot into a stationary object. It hurts less.

I really don't see Five Ten's demise as a hit to riding. I used approach shoes before any flat biking shoes existed; happy to go back full-time. Nearly zero effect on my riding.

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have some pre-sale 5.10 approach shoes (forget the model), and they work great! They have Stealth rubber, but the mid-soles and uppers are regular shoes so not super hard. Freeride models don't work with my feet at all, and cause total pain in my little toes. Which is a bummer as I had a buddy who worked there in Redlands (pre-sale) that gave me the hook ups. I have one of their newer Spitfire models, and it's okay... not great, but I can wear without toe pain! Their Marathon soles aren't as good as their Stealth ones, but the shoe is mostly comfortable. Leather uppers which I like. I probably would like their newer Guide Tennie model approach shoes, and shoes have tried those first.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice, David. What works vs what's popular. :thumbsup:

Of course crank arms can put a toll on a shoe not made for riding, but not as bad as you'd think if you make some effort to position your feet. Plasti-Dip brush-on tool handle coating is what I would use if I saw that happening. I've used it in other fabric-abrasion applications, the right tool for the job, if ugly.

10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I've done that with shoes and roller hockey pads, so not averse to the concept! I've never had a problem due to bikes/cranks... usually the shoes mar the anodizing before anything else happens!!!

11. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Funny! I just bought a pair of flat pedals and shoes. Been on clipless since I started riding and I want to try something new and explore the benefits of riding flats. The other reason is now that my son is riding and from time to time will be using my Jeffsy, I thought I'd just leave the flats on the Jeffsy instead of switching the pedals out each time. He obviously rides flats, for the time being.

I bought a pair of Shimano GR9's which are good for colder weather and somewhat water resistant.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/apparel-accessories/shimano/SH-GR900.html

And One Up Composite pedals after reading good reviews and affordability. I also like the fact that they absorb pedal strikes better which is a concern, especially after witnessing @Tom the Bomb get tossed in the air 15 feet a few years ago!

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/comp-pedal

Only one ride and so far the combo seems to be working good.

IMG_3115.JPG

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU, @Cisco Roots – those kicks look good! Cool pedal option too.

Tom the Bomb, Cisco Roots and Mikie like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude! That pedal looks huge!
    Perspective ...

14. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Lol! They are actually pretty big, platform wise!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  15. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Mikie, mike, Cisco Roots and 2 others like this.
  16. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    No but Etnies are what I rode with flats 5 or so years ago before I went clipless and they worked for me.

I mostly ride in flip flops on my BMX bike which has flat pedals but have been curious about putting flats on my MTB again. If I bunny hop fine without clips and can transition between the two on BMX/MTB no problem then I guess I question why change? Bit of a rhetorical question but maybe I’ll try some flats out soon and give a real answer.

Mikie, mike, doublewide and 1 other person like this.
  17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I forgot to take the right shoes once after I put flats on the Kona. So I rode with my running shoes, a pair of Asics Kayano 23s. They worked just fine. I need a new pair of running shoes anyway. :Roflmao

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That is THE best part o flats! All this talk about best shoes, but really you can ride anything.

mike and Runs with Scissors like this.
  20. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Not always. For example my trail running/ hiking shoes, Saucony Xodus, are grip monsters when hiking, but slide all over the pedals if i try a serious ride with them. Road running shoes can be better especially if they have more xposed foam for pins to dig into. IMO mtb-specific soles really do make a difference, especially for technical riding. Too bad they ALL run narrow. :bang:

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yeah, those of us with duck feet have a rough time. I don't get into really technical stuff on the "adventure" bike anyway, so just about any shoes will work on those flats.

Cyclotourist, mike and sir crashalot like this.
  22. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Every time a promising new shoe comes out, and i order a size 13 (for my size 12 in length, but extra wide feet) Im disappointed with the tightness in the forefoot. but size 14s are always too long. five ten impact pros fit okay but the midsole iss like concrete, no good for long pedaling rides. specialized 2fo's (size 48 eu) were a bit tight in the toes, but acceptable. Very comfoirtable soft midsole, but outsole wasnt the grippiest yet completely wore out in 8 months. flexible and awesome for HAB though. just got the ride concepts hellions, fit is a tad tight but i think theyll work. shoe seems very stiff, midsole feel seems soft enough and rubber seems sticky. Will try on the bike soon.

23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I get the Freerider Pro model and they last me a year. I always wear thru the rubber on the soles and have yet to have a pair "fall apart" prior to wearing thru the sole. I get my new pair every October in Durango for 20% when a local shop is having their end of the year sale.

I have a buddy that is much pickier about stuff like this and he complained to Five Ten in an email after the soles on his Contact's wore out after about 10 months. They told him to send them in and they sent him a new pair with no grief.

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Ha! When I bought my Spitfires last year, the end of one the laces was screwed up and wouldn't fit through the eyelet. I emailed 5.10 about it, and they politely told me I was SOL and should go buy new laces!
    Not the response I expected after buying a $100 pair of shoes! Should have sent the shoes back, but I liked them otherwise.

mike likes this.
  25. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Same thing happened to me but it was after only a half dozen rides. The sole was starting to peal. I just sent 510 an e-mail with a copy of the receipt and a picture and they sent me a brand new pair. I gave the old ones to a buddy and he's still using them to this day. I have Freerider Pro's now as well and they have maintained just fine. The replacement Contact's are still in the box for now.

26. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Yes just be aware of the extra width on the trail. That is why I clipped that rock! have fun.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I see how it works. Huge pedals have to be composite to flex out the way when they hit all those things they do. Probably better than feet, because that hurts like hell.

28. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I think I ended up with a pair of Low Impacts that were yours. If I recall you gave them to Dan on the other forum and they didn't fit him, so he ended up giving them to me. The sole on one of the shoes peeled off completely within 4-5 rides. Not sure how old those would have been and I know that can happen when shoes sit around for a long time.

But I've had a lot more problem with newer 5.10s than older ones. The original pairs I had lasted for many years, to where the inner sole was completely worn out while the outer was still in great shape aside from being scraped flat by pedal pins. But minimal separating of the toe and sole from the shoe. With the recent ones the sole and toe are separating while the rest of the shoe is in great shape, and this is happening in a fraction of the time that my older shoes lasted. It is a very noticeable difference in quality.

If the Unparallel shoes are made by former 5.10 folks maybe they will be of better quality. Gonna stay with my trail runners for now and see how they last...

29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Oh there were definitely old, albeit hardly used by my son. They had sat in my garage for 2-3 years minimum.

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I guess these shoes are just like any rubber product. They will harden and start to separate after a while if you don't wear them out first.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?