Queen's Ransom Bikepack: 3/1 - 3/4 OPEN INVITE

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by schillingsworth, Jan 8, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-01-19, 03-02-19, 03-03-19, 03-04-19
  1. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Ride Name: Queen's Ransom Bikepack: 3/1 - 3/4 OPEN INVITE
    When: Friday March 1st - Monday March 4th
    Time: 7:00am Ready to Ride
    Where: Queen Creek, AZ
    Ride Description or Details:
    This is my annual bikepacking loop from home. It's roughly 40% singletrack, 50% dirt roads/canals & 10% pavement. It's a giant CW loop around the East Valley of the Phoenix Metro area incorporating many system trails including: Hawes, Usery Mtn, Goldfield Mtns., Gold Canyon & San Tan Park. It also follows the famed Arizona Trail from Picketpost to Kelvin. Expect good flow, some chunk, a little bit of exposure, some backcountry and some city riding.
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    The route typically meets at my house, send me a message for address when you RSVP, otherwise you can park/meet at Safeway shopping center on the SE corner of Power & Queen Creek Rds in Queen Creek. The Safeway is ON route barely 1/2 mile from my house, so the group will ride by around 7:15am.
    Skill Level: Intermediate, Advanced, Storm Trooper
    Ride Pace: Moderate Pace
    Type of Ride: Loop
    Rider Limit: None
    Anticipated Mileage: 215
    Elevation Gain: 17,000
    Ride Duration: 4 days
    Previous Ride Reports: This will be the 6th running, Here's one from 2017: http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/2017/03/queens-ransom-17.html

Here's the route page from Trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/route/queen-39-s-ransom-bikepack/

Possible Bail-Outs: There are easy bailouts during the first 1 1/2 days. Flat road/canal riding back to the start. However, the route becomes extremely remote after joining the Arizona Trail at Picketpost trailhead. Day 4 also has relatively easy bailouts, but the route in general is pretty easy to finish.
    Facilities: There are resupply options along the way, most notably in Gold Canyon at the end of day 1 and Florence early on Day 4. Water is available in spots in between, bring a filter.
    Food/water suggestions: Bring a water filter!! Mostly for Day 3. We'll be regrouping in Gold Canyon at De La Cruz Mexican Grille for dinner on Day 1 & there's a Basha's grocery store next door. Cold water is available about 1/2 way through day 1. Day 2 resupply is roughly 12 miles into the day in Queen Valley. Typical convenience store stuff. Stock up for 2 days here with food. Early on Day 3 filter water from the Gila River. More water available 18 miles later in Kelvin from an ADOT spigot. My wife will meet the crew atop the final climb around noon-ish with a full SAG wagon: Margaritas, donuts, Cokes, Gatorades, chips/salsa, etc. Drop bags can be delivered here if needed/wanted. Day 4: Florence is only 20 flat-ish miles away for a late breakfast and final resupply. 40 miles to go. One final stop at the Old Ellsworth Brewing Company in Queen Creek for lunch & celebratory toast to completing the ride!! (2 miles from the end) Patches handed out here. Re: water capacity: carry at least a 100oz bladder and a bottle or two of electrolyte drink. I tend to also carry something else to drink like a Coke or Red Bull, etc.
    Option to Upload:

IMG_20180510_093038.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This is what a completely dialed-in bikepacking ride looks like!!! :thumbsup: TFPU, John, it looks heli-fun. An epic shot of diverse and spectacular desert riding with some rough edges smoothed out... :geek::thumbsup: Logistics seem against me, but it's in my back pocket. Cheers!

3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Ooh!!!! This may work, the knee may be ready by March:whistling:

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    This is the way to do it!!! I'll be busy that weekend, but looks GREAT!

5. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I should add, this is NOT a race!!! It's a self-paced group ride of sorts. Most years we get small groups of riders to hang together, sometimes riders go fast and get to camp early, some hang back and arrive after sunset. You choose!! We do all re-group at night which makes for a fun environment. Plus, we all meet up for dinner the first night in Gold Canyon, then it's only a short 4-ish miles to camp after stocking up at Basha's. I make it known to any local friends to feel free to track any of us down and give us drinks/food, etc. I carry a SPOT tracker with the route loaded on SPOTWalla.

Post up with any questions you may have and I'll get you sorted out. Make the trip east!! @evdog can chime in, he's done it.

6. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
  7. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    That is a mighty cool proposition

8. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Hmmm... just bought a Revelate feedbag, pretty sure I'm ready for an epic bikepacking trip! Haha! In all seriousness, doing a bikepacking trip is one of my goals this year. I'm going to read your write up and see if I'll be able to swing it.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The venerable W, er, Feedbag has spawned and powered many an adventure ride. Do not underestimate this piece of gear, Lubo!!!! :cool:

For anyone wondering if they even desire to hang out with this strangely motivated desert rat...never pulled it together to ride with swillingsworth, but can vouch he drains a mean pint and is one of the more chill crushers you could meet. :):thumbsup:

10. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I love all the interest!! I truly hope some of you come out for this. My house is open to crash out before/after the ride since it is a long drive from SoCal. I also have plenty of extra bikepacking gear I'd be willing to lend out if needed. First come, first serve. (I have extra feed bags, gas tanks, gerry cans, frame bag, seat bags, dry bag, sleeping bag, water filter, bivy or one man tent... Jeez, that's a lot of crap now that I type it out) Since the weather 'tends' to be nice that time of year, I simply throw down a sleeping bag and cowboy camp it.

Add the dates to your calendar so you don't forget about it and make other plans!!

Thanks for the kind words @mike you do a fine job of making suds disappear too!! You do some mean riding as well...

11. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    You’re making it hard to come up with excuses to not do this! If I’m able to swing it, I’ll definitely take you up on the gear loan offer. Thanks! And I also love beer.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Bikes combined with beer, with a side of desert. What's not to love???:thumbsup:

13. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice!!! :thumbsup: Could be the biggest chunk of fun you’ve ever had on a bike. Just a guess. :cool:

Thanks again for hosting, John. Such a unique opportunity to get into self supported bikepacking, still with support. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    For sure, Mike!

I am really looking forward to it. I’ve done the Rwanda 50 ride for the past 7 years, but this will definitely be longest consecutive days of riding for me. This is gonna be fun!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  16. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    After some research on decent bags that won’t cost me an arm and a leg, found an English brand that had some pretty good reviews - www.alpkit.com. Bought the Koala saddle bag, Airlok Dual dry bag and Joey harness for the handlebars. Put in the order on Thursday, received the package today. Sweet box, solid looking product and a nice handwritten note thanking me for the order. Pretty stoked and can’t wait to put these bags to use!

12D9D00A-8DCA-4F6D-A82F-E4890E9FD035.jpeg

17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Fuuuuuck... I would so want to do this. And I have the kit!

(Wondering what I would need to do for my wife to let me go...)

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Not seeing too much bike-packing - but a lot of great biking - in the photos.

(1) Assuming we would be tent camping(?) Are people bringing tents, or sleeping under the stars?
    (2) Early March in AZ is a little chill... can you give me an idea of the temps and conditions on prior rides?

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    PM sent...

My wife just green-lighted me for the trip :)

DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  20. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Awesome!!

As long as the forecast is 0% chance of rain, I just take a ground cover & sleeping bag. Cowboy camping at its finest. Otherwise, I'd bring my 1-man tent.
    So far, each year has been warm during the day - low 80's & cool, not cold, at night. Maybe 50's.

kingaucho and mike like this.
  21. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Also, to anyone coming over for the ride, or a portion of it, please fill out this RSVP form. I'm trying to get a headcount, etc. Thanks.

Please share with anyone not on here who is planning to ride.

QR RSVP

22. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for posting, John :thumbsup:

Such a great opportunity...Greg, you and Lubo are stoked!!!!! :geek::thumbsup:

kingaucho and schillingsworth like this.
  23. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I made the .gpx files a bit more easy to obtain (also added a .kml & .crs version). Working on a route cue sheet today. If anyone else is coming over to ride, please fill out the RSVP form linked above. It's looking like a really good group of riders this year, 15 confirmed so far!! Including 5 from Cali...

QR Files

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cool, great turnout! You're the man, John :thumbsup:

25. kingaucho

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Will be doing a shakedown ride tomorrow. See how it goes...

772E603E-8445-48D6-BCF4-ED4E94960791.jpeg

53A8F605-2E01-44E6-AD74-20D6F2EAEEFC.jpeg

26. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    The Queen's Ransom 2019 edition is in the books. I couldn't be more stoked on how it all went down. I'll post up a full recap soon, I'm still not sure how many riders came out to ride the entire loop or a portion of it. Somewhere in the 20+ range.
    D8Jof20ybnxQkB36N-1LLBXiLDuC5-sRNtZ5iGTWJANKN5Bhrab9c1PU07Pfs2CMg_knU46ZS05hQ90YFA=w1421-h937-no.jpg
    Starting group from my house on Friday morning.

bl5w9Xb7_eh_Vr02Xksjcc3ulu0nNJdS1kxe3nH7HpDwD0tM7WMASbZC6ND2TE1T_dOdt5xvwvk7SpWhLg=w1666-h937-no.jpg
    The FINISHERS group (+ 2 more not shown who rode the loop in 3 days instead of 4)

Mark your calendars for 2020: Friday February 28 - Monday March 2. (2020 is a leap year, so we'll be riding on Feb. 29, how exciting!!)

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congrats to all; nice job, John!!!

I see @kingaucho in the first pic... Lubo, did you kill in three days??

28. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    If you're getting that many takers you need to add more hike a bike :Roflmao

29. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    Jeff mentioned that. I could change the route back to the version you did, the chunky side of Pass Mtn!! I could add some of those sketchy 'trails' in the Goldfield Mtns. too. I like the way it is now, as you know, it's tough enough.

evdog, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    The route-finding and bushwack hike a bike up the steep draw in Area 52 was also memorable. Also, there's nothing like filtering water out of puddles we found in the rock above a dry waterfall. Or getting yelled at by an angry neighbor after descending off Jacob Crosscut in the dark.

schillingsworth likes this.