2019 Giant Trance 29 2

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by buggravy, Dec 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    SOLD

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

UPSed, Voodoo Tom, ~JB~ and 11 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Nice bike, but that bouncy/squishy thingy in front of the seat tube is just weird. :unsure:

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A medium in most brands/models will be, as you found, too small for you.

If you have long arms and or like a short stem you could consider and "extra medium" Smash frame for a reasonable upcharge. I'm 5-10.5 with +3.5" ape index, and I need a 60mm stem on a medium with no offset post and the seat slid back. YMMV. Some like the snappier length of the regular frames, and in SoCal generally, I can see the rationale. Keep in mind that, as you get better, your bigger bike will not feel big anymore. It will continually feel smaller in the next couple of years. And depending on your style, terrain and setup, you could end up wishing for more bike still. I probably would go for the extra medium and a 35-50 mm stem if I had it to do again. No mistaking, I love my regular medium.

Nice redirection. Welcome in advance to the GG family. Some nice thin flats and ~800 mm bars, go a-smashing. :sneaky::thumbsup:

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks for the feedback (and the new bike validation). It's a bit of a bummer that I got a bum steer from the LBS, and didn't trust my gut. They were adamant that the M was the right size, and even showed me a chart that showed me right in the middle of M. I realized after the fact that we were looking at the chart for the Trance 29 X from a few years ago, and having been off a bike for so long I just wasn't in tune with what I was comfortable with just looking at geometry. Both M and L felt fine cruising around the parking lot, so I took their suggestion, but once I was on trail it really felt like the front wheel really wanted to come off the ground on ascents, and was wandering a lot. Tried to tell myself that more seat time would fix it, and it probably would to an extent, but the other wrong but more properly sized bike that I initially purchased didn't give me the same issue on the same trails. Whatever, right of passage I suppose.

I'm really stoked on the idea of the Smash. I called GG a few days ago, and immediately got someone on the phone who knew the bikes well, as opposed to a droid with PDF. Super nice and was happy to chat as long as I needed. That means something. He turned me on to a shop that I was going to be driving right by the next day that he said should have a Smash demo. My shoulder isn't well enough to even pedal around a parking lot quite yet, but just sitting on it just felt really right.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I am just at 6’ maybe 5’11.75” these days and I ride a M RIP9 but I demoed both sizes. Other brands/models I’m usually a L but I liked the way the M RIP felt over the L for how I ride. Bummer you weren’t able to demo both sizes. It looks like 5’11” is the top end of M on the current trance sizing chart, 6’0” is what Niner has for a M at the top end. You’re definitely not in the middle for the current chart! At the end of the day a chart is only a chart and the only real way to size a bike is to ride it as you quickly found out. Good luck with your sale and hopefully the Smash works out.

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Redirections happen, especially during times of reorientation such as you're going through now. Never mind the reason – moving toward the right tool for your missions and goals is a good thing.

Glad you were served well by GG. They are known for excellent and patient CS. Anyone that answers the phone will be a riding enthusiast with deep industry and product knowledge, but most likely it was Jubal or Bobby. Hopefully you like riding the Smash as well as the idea of owning one. :cool: Glad to hear you have a local demo. Be patient and put tires in the dirt when you can. Holler if I can help with any info; I've had my Smash since August '17, long enough to feel as one with it (and have the squish serviced). Cheers... :)

Danmtchl, buggravy, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So, is Pinkbike the next best place to sell a bike if still trying to sell locally? I know there's Craigslist, but based on other things I've sold on CL I'd rather not open myself up to that crap show.

8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I sold a couple of bikes on PB and they went pretty fast. I think they have more of a real MTB audience than CL.

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Do both. PB has it's flakes, and CL has it's serious people. On CL I only use their anonymous email, and don't put my cell out. From that point it's pretty easy to meet them down at my LBS's parking lot. I've sold and bought a lot on CL, and it works well for what it is. I've even bought a few things out of the area and had them shipped. The hard part is convincing the seller that I'm not scamming them.

I've never sold on PB, but have bought a few things with no drama. I don't like having to pack things for shipping, so avoid that if possible. Paypal is the ace in the hole with PB, just be sure to not use friends an family and PP will intervene if there is a problem.

mike, DBMX119, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I am 6' and I had a 2016 Trance that was a L and it felt big to me. My current bike is a M and fits much better. But I also ride my snowboard/skis short. I like my equipment to be playful and really responsive.

But the Trance is a great bike and I sold mine easily as you probably will also.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good advice here. I've used Pinkbike a fair bit, both ways.

Repeating...PayPal is key. I will gladly pay the 2.9% seller fee for a normal transaction (vs "Friends and Family") on any spendy item to be able to dispute the purchase, and I did have to do that once. Black Rock Bikes in Reno or anyone named Curtis O...caveat emptor! :cautious::thumbsdown:

Danmtchl, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Odd, I am 5'8" and can ride a large just fine, just prefer a medium. I can't imagine being 3" taller and riding a medium though!

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Seriously! Why can't all these manufacturers get together and agree on the numbers for each size?? Hehe, he said numbers... :cool:

14. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    It is the manufacturers choice. On a Santa Cruz a L fits me like a glove. On Dave Weagle designs I size down.

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'm still wondering which shop pushed the medium... I understand if you don't want to name names. Just curious...

I'm about the same height as you, and would not consider a medium in the big name bikes, nor would the shop I frequent push one with charts.

Danmtchl, Sidewalk, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It was Wheel World. I don't want to throw any shade their way though, as they've been very accommodating. The first bike I bought (Fathom) was just a misguided choice on my part because I wasn't clear what I wanted to ride getting back into things. I was back at the shop discussing that I might look for something else, and sell the Fathom, and they offered to take it back for a nominal restocking fee to help me get into the bike I wanted. I think the recommendation of the M came with the best of intentions. To be fair, the chart for the 29 didn't exist when I bought the bike, right after they were released. Where I'm kind of kicking myself is when I went back in on Black Friday. They had 20% off all bikes, and I went in with the intention of buying the same bike in L, thinking I'd unload the M without too big of a hit, and they talked me out of it. They talked me out of a sale, so there in lies the good intentions I believe. I shouldn't have been so wishy washy though, so I'll own that. And being in between sizes the L in that same bike might also have not been ideal.

17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Ahhhh... That makes for a clearer picture. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Sidewalk and mike like this.
  18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Cyclotourist, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Curious, and very open to feedback about what folks think about my pricing on this, as I'm not really in touch with what lightly used bikes fetch. I've had the bike on Pinkbike and Craigslist for a few days, and had nary a nibble. I thought 20% off retail for a basically new bike not including tax was a pretty solid deal, but I suppose sellers always think that way. Getting the bike sold isn't urgent, but if my price just isn't realistic then I'm not one for exercises in futility. What say ye?

Cyclotourist, UPSed and mike like this.
  20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    My thought is, if you have a good relationship with a shop you can get 20% off msrp all day...but not everyone has that.

Grego, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    IME just about everything bike related is 50% off as soon as it's used. And of course everyone wants it for free. GLWS.

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Ouch. But duly noted.

Cyclotourist, UPSed and mike like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It's pretty competitive out there, and I'd guess 20% off MSRP is not hard to be gotten from bike shops and online sources. I think people expect a better deal for a used bike from an unknown source with whom they have little recourse.

Not that I'm doing it right, but I think of 50% off MSRP as a standard calculator for used stuff, and I might go up or down from there based on factors. I hate haggling, and so I price low so someone with a brain will just grab it. It usually works, and I don't sweat the beating I've taken. But I understand people might want try for more money from used gear. I just want to move on and start using the new stuff.

Good luck, Matt. :thumbsup:

PS: Swear I did not read the previous replies before I commented.

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    It’s also the time of year. People generally don’t buy used bikes the weeks before Xmas.

But yeah, as others have said.....20% from retailers is not that difficult these days.

Also certain brands just don’t hold their value.

Drop the price to around $2000 if you are in a rush.

UPSed, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    At some point I consider hanging onto the gear if it doesn’t take up too much room. A spare bike is handy sometimes. More likely, I find a friend in need and cut a deal they can’t refuse. So I get to see my old bikes when we go riding :)

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The big issue with asking too high a price on a used bike, no warranty. For many if the price is too close to retail with no warranty, it just isn’t worth it....might as well get a new one.

To get without warranty, it’s gotta be a great deal. $500 off a $3000 bike isn’t a great deal.

DangerDirtyD, Grego, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    That all makes sense. Chalk it up to learning lessons the hard way I suppose.

mtnbikej, UPSed and mike like this.
  28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I wish hanging onto it made sense, but for a multitude of reasons it doesn't. I do have one buddy that might be interested at the right price, so I'll offer him a good deal and hope for the best.

mike likes this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :thumbsup:

Don't sweat it. You're gonna spend money on bikes and riding whether that frame fit you or not. Ride hard enough and you'll be too tired to worry about the dough. :p:thumbsup:

I'm looking out for new entries in the New Bike Day thread... :geek:

mtnbikej and Voodoo Tom like this.
  30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Though this listing has probably run its course here, I've updated the original post with a more realistic price and current pics, for posterity.

mike and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?