Be careful out there kids.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by CBone, Dec 3, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    My wife is going out of town in a few days. She is helping out a family member for 10 days or so. I haven't been on the bike much lately because of family stuff etc. and I figured that while she was gone I could fit in a bunch of riding. Maybe I could even meet up with Mikie for a ride at P-12. I also planned to get out and do some trail work if this next storm drops some more rain.

Well ... today I needed some hardware for a work project so I headed over to a big box store. You probably know the one but I won't name it. Anyway, I was walking along at a good clip when something catches my eye. I tried to stop and my right foot slid and shot out in front of me. Before I could catch myself I fell backwards in a heap. My left leg ended up under me and I hyper extended my foot/ankle. You know how some people can sit on the floor with their behind on their feet with their toes pointing behind them? Yeah, like that. I can't ever remember being able to do that. My ankles don't bend like that. I take that back. My ankle did bend like that - at least this once- and it didn't like it!

I got up and brushed myself off and limped down too the hardware isle and got my stuff. I went to the front and asked them to check the floor where I slipped. It felt like there was a lot of dust or maybe fine sand on the floor. The guy asks me if I hurt myself. I tell him a little bit. He says I need to fill out some paperwork. He heads to the office to get the form and as I'm standing there the pain gets a little worse. I tried to lift the front of my foot off the floor and it results in shooting pain.

I had to get back to the job and finish my project because the item I was fixing was a safety issue (the irony).
    I limped around and got the job done. I headed to my very large HMO to get checked out. You know the one but no names.

After x-rays etc. I get my ankle wrapped and a prescription for an anti inflammatory and a Dr.'s note for a couple of days off.

Hopefully it will feel much better tomorrow and will heal up quickly. I want to ride!

Moral of the story? Don't be a klutz I guess.

Hey, don't feel too sorry for me, it is only an ankle after all. There are lots of people out there who have much worse. I'll be back on my bike soon enough.

I think I'll go stand on my head now. I hear such activity has great curative powers. I don't bend well enough to do yoga.

Be careful out there kids.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Solo spinouts blow. Glad it wasn’t worse! Speedy healing, CB.

Faust29, Mikie, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Heal -up quick man.
    Your story reminds me of the time Tom Petty slipped on pee pee at the Costco and got a big settlement...Presumably allowing him to embark on his musical career.
    tumblr_mot2l3TkZJ1rdlm2no1_1280.png

rossage, Faust29, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    This would have made a lot better story if I had just crashed on my bike. I do that all the time but at least I could have embellished it and used it when swapping tall tails with riding buds.

5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear about that. Scary when it happens and sucks when hurts. I have one pair of shoes that is deadly slippery on any wet surface. They always seem to find any little puddle or spill, and with no warning one foot is gone out from under me. No issues with any other shoe but these are so comfy it's hard to not wear them.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Crap. Sorry to hear. I hope it doesn't amount to much more than a few days of discomfort.

But how dare you accept that at least some of the slipping may have been your responsibility. How un-American. You need to sue the Big Box store for not warning you and for allowing a dangerous condition to exist.

Faust29, Mikie, CBone and 7 others like this.
  7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    This story is very relatable for me at the moment. Just yesterday afternoon I was recovering from a bug in bed and had my daughter in there with me while my wife was at swim lessons with my son. She did one of her famous back curl tantrum jolts and while I was awkwardly lifting her back to the center of the bed my back popped and I immediately knew I was in for several days of pain.

Yes, I threw my back out... while in bed. To make things worse tomorrow could have been a ride day for me since the stock and bond markets are closed. :cry:

Heal up quick @CBone and I echo your advice to be careful out there because you never know when you’ll hurt yourself while laying in bed. o_O

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ouch @CBone. How are you feeling this morning?

9. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Nooooo Tucker! You’re not suppose to do yoga on the sidewalk, silly!
    I’m sorry to hear this, especially with your upcoming riding freedom! Take it easy Mr and heal up fast plz:thumbsup:
    The Whole Wheatery can point you to some good herbs to reduce swelling (curcumin) and if you can’t drive I’ll drop some by.

Faust29, Mikie, CBone and 3 others like this.
  10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Not you too! Geez you guys..let’s call it done with the injuries!
    Heal up fast, and we won’t judge you if you cry because you can’t ride...we’ve all been there right?!:whistling::cry:

herzalot, Faust29, Cornholio and 4 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    This is what makes America not so great ^^^^:(

herzalot, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  12. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    Sorry to hear, it's always when we aren't expecting it and not giving 100% full attention that this stuff happens. Funny story... Many of you know I have a bad back. One of the times I hurt myself the most in the last 5 years wasn't on a motorcycle, mountain bike or anything like that. I had just gotten out of the shower, I was butt ass nekkid and I was drying myself off with teh bathroom door open. My wife walked by and made a smart ass comment as we always do to each other, I decided to hook my dirty undies with my toe and flick them at her. Of course, I threw my back out in the process and I needed her help to get my hobbled ass over to the bed so I could be laid out for 2 days. Instant karma.

While I deserved the above... it just goes to show you, it's those moments where we make movements with our bodies and we aren't fully engaged that are the most dangerous.

Heal up, stay positive and don't overdo it too fast.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  13. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Ouch @CBone sorry to hear about your mishap :(

Sounds like gotta work on your godfather of soul moves o_O

15191DE6-5159-4787-96AB-7EB815410F98.jpeg

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Bud! How yah feeling today?
    I'm in Palmdale. Can I bring anything by for you, do anything for you?
    Feel better so we can go hit that hero!
    I'll PM you my number...

;)Mikie

mtnbikej, Faust29, Cornholio and 5 others like this.
  15. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Hey, it was just like that, but with the left leg under, and leaning way back, and the foot needs to be toe down heel up, and I wasn't smiling. :(
    Well, maybe it wasn't like that at all.:)

mtnbikej, herzalot, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  16. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I got that same injury riding a motorcycle. Ankle never fully recovered. Heal up and get some good pt!!

mtnbikej, herzalot, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  17. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and concern. It is feeling much better today. Some swelling and bruising but the pain level is way down. It looks like I lucked out.

Part of the reason I wrote the post last night was to occupy my mind and to try and tell a relatable story. I figured some of you had similar experiences.

As for the offers of "herbs" and other stuff being delivered? You guys worry me;) Not sure what you would bring:confused::eek::)

@Mikie I might need that number to line up a ride in the future.

You guys that have real injuries, and not just inconvenient ones like mine, heal up and get back to riding.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek:Hey! Injury is an injury. There is no difference. It's not like a real Poncho versus a Sears Poncho! :coffee:
    If you be hurt, the imtbrothahood wants to take care of you! :thumbsup:

:cool:Mikie

mtnbikej, SnakeCharmer, CBone and 4 others like this.
  19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol, just turmeric you stinker ;) no funny side effects

CBone, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  20. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Hey, let's keep this thread going.
    Post your embarrassing non riding injury story here:D
    @Cornholio and @Ebruner posted good (?) ones above.

21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I once hurt my wrist Ma, nevermind family show.

mtnbikej, herzalot, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  22. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Was it from trying to get that Speedo off??

mtnbikej, Sidewalk, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My dad sat on a toilet at a Denny's, and the seat wasn't attached. He slid right off and got bruised up pretty good.
    He did not become a millionaire from the incident.

mtnbikej, Sidewalk, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  24. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I use the reverse of this to keep salesman, gypsies & trolls out of my shop. What, no steel toed boots or safety glasses or Nomex sleeves - sorry, you can't come in here. It is WAY TOO DANGEROUS.

Heal quickly you two.

25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    grand-slam-slugger_thumbnaillarge_2017-04-06-15-21-33.jpg

26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Great now I am hungry.

27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Back when a GrandSlam Breakfast was $1.99, I used to compete with the fat kid in the neighborhood to see who can eat one fastest.

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Glad it's feeling better... In the future, please leave the advanced yoga moves to the professionals.

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well that sucks equally bad. And no one to sue for your misery!

C’mon fellas and fellettes, let’s stop this falling down and going boom business - and the unexpected contortion routines.

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I refuse to say how I tweaked my back. :oops:

DangerDirtyD, Sidewalk, CBone and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?