Witnessing progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sidewalk, Dec 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm in the very different, and fortunate position, of watching an adult go from a relatively sedentary lifestyle to...who knows where! (besides outdoors).

I started dating a few months ago. The girl thought it was cool that I was into cycling, but did the usual mocking off the lycra and all that. Her brother set her up for failure as a kid (like big brothers do) and put her on a bike that wasn't mechanically sound. First ride, bike breaks and hurts her pretty bad. Now she is paranoid about bikes falling apart, even though I have told her my bikes are a long ways from the quil and stem days, and I ride my bikes harder than she likely ever will and I haven't killed myself yet. Early on into our dating I brought my Enduro with me to one of my road events so she could putz around on it while I was gone for several hours. That eventually led to her wanting to try and ride it in the dirt, and she mentioned going to Wal-Mart (!!!) to get a helmet, I vetoed that and got her a decent lid.

I had nearly finished assembling my old trail bike into an endurance race bike. It has modern XC geo with 130mm travel, I knew that would be a good bike for her to ride. I made a point to her that if she wants to ride I'll support fully but she has to do it for herself and not because I ride and she wants to ride with me. Swears it has nothing to do with me, she just wants to try it.

After a few rides she started complaining about comfort issues, so I bought her a proper cycling chamois...much to her dismay. But she said what the hell and tried wearing Lycra on a bike...shocker that it was comfortable :laugh:

Several rides later she kept trying to compete with herself on the same route in the dirt, I could tell she was getting faster but she wasn't sure as she kept stopping her Fitbit and forgetting to restart it or whatever. Now she is on Strava and seeing her progress. Of course, that means pushing herself even harder. But the segments don't lie, she is getting faster.

I was riding behind her when she had her first decent get off. Little shook up, but got back on and finished the ride with minor bruising. Didn't hesitate to go back out again a day or so later.

A couple of days ago she asked if she could try my XC bike. I told her she could, but...be careful...it's fast! She didn't know exactly what that meant of course, being new. But that is one of the best performing bikes I have ever ridden going both up AND down hill, I would be happy if it was the only bike I ever got to ride again (even happier that isn't the case!). She stormed up the hill and back down, even dealing with inattentive hikers and other riders, she was WAY faster. Then turned around to do a little more extra credit. On the way back down...she had her first real wreck, she has now experienced the suck of MTB. Looking back at the data she had a higher top speed descending as well as faster climbing.

Been a few days of recovery, but she is looking forward to riding again. But now it looks like I am not selling my old race bike after all as planned. Bright side, an excuse to have a B bike :sneaky:

But it has been fun watching someone go from nothing, to enjoying the sport and improving.

Also, riding a pro level XC bike as basically your first experience into the sport isn't exactly fair... :gag:

Oaken, moto knight, HBkites and 29 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Great story, I hope she sticks with it, and likes it for what it is!!!

3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
  5. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    You own homegrown MTB Hottie!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    She’ll be ready for hellacious ride by next year!

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I see this as progress in the relationship :thumbsup:

That aside, there’s nothing like the exuberance of a noob. :geek: De facto guides taking on apprentices is a longstanding tradition in mountain sports, a powerful symbiosis. If the team can end (or begin) the day with indoor sports, all the better :sneaky::inlove:

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I don’t know @Sidewalk it sounds like she might be a keeper:thumbsup:.

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Table tennis!

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Hopefully, we would not want any new curbs in this world.

11. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Paddling the balls just sounds iffy.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is the best. ya gotta love the transition. Thank you for sharing.

13. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Better than a rags to riches story! I hope she sticks with it!

mike, Sidewalk, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Update:

She's addicted. I upgraded my Garmin and gave her my old one. She's on Strava and is mildly obsessed with her performance. She going on longer rides, and faster, mostly without me. I'm going to do a tire swap and give her proper trail tires soon (2.35 Hans front, 2.35 RaRa rear with stronger sidewalls).

Tonight she tried an FTP test and is going to start using a trainer for bigger and faster improvements (her decision, not mine). And is going to try a race.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Wow, she’s totally geeking out on bike obsession. She’s perfect for you!!!!!!!! :geek::D:thumbsup:

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    She's already ahead of me... I had to Google FTP test. :Roflmao

Nicely done, Josh...

17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    That’s awesome. Is she shopping for new bikes yet?

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I think it's a rarity to get and keep a significant other on a bike. I'm frequently asked how I got Jennifer into mountain biking and my response is she's been riding longer than me. Sounds like your girlfriend is genuinely interested. Great news on the progress. :thumbsup:

19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    No actually. She wants to buy my F-Si. I thought about it, but decided against it. It's an AWESOME bike, I still love it and it is still one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. But...I want her to gain experience in cycling first and decide what kind of rider she is. Then if she wants to buy it she can, unless I keep it

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?