Pivot Demo

Discussion in 'Demo Events' started by littlewave, Nov 13, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 11-18-18
  1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Ride Name: Pivot Demo
    When: Sunday, November 18th
    Time: 9am - 3pm
    Where: 2495 Laguna Canyon Road, Laguna Beach
    Ride Description or Details:
    Pivot Demo across from bottom of T&A. Park at Big Bend.

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/us-canada#5071___4000

~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location: 9:00am - 3:00pm | 2495 Laguna Canyon Rd, Laguna Beach, California 92651 | Pro Bike Supply MTB Demo
    Get ready to ride with Pro Bike Supply and Pivot Cycles. We will be hosting a demo in Laguna Canyon for you to come check out the lastest and greatest bikes Pivot has to offer.

For more information contact Mark at 1-(885)-777-BIKE.

AVAILABLE DEMO BIKES
    Mach 4 Carbon
    XS, S

Mach 429 SL
    S, M, L, XL

Trail 429
    XS, S, M, L, XL
    Mach 5.5 Carbon
    XS, S, M, L, XL

Mach 6 Carbon
    XS, S, M, L, XL

Switchblade Carbon
    XS, S, M, L, XL
    Firebird
    S, M

Firebird 29
    S, M, L, XL

Skill Level:
    Ride Pace:
    Type of Ride:
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    Elevation Gain:
    Ride Duration:
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs:
    Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Option to Upload:

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Pro Bike Supply is a rad shop! Still my go to spot even though I’m further away these days. The Path didn’t do it for me, felt ripped off compared to service I get at PBS.

Mikie, doublewide, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have demoed all of them including the Mach 5.5, all awesome bikes. Can't go wrong with any of them.

4. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Might get out and try the firebird or switchblade.

Mikie, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We have both, plus the Mach 5.57722F658-7AB8-425B-AA4D-1DA71E57DC4D.jpeg

Mikie, doublewide, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh HELLS yes. TFPU!!! Two of the bikes on my short list - Mach 6 and Firebird 29. 'course I could always borrow Mo's Firebird. :sneaky:

I'll call Mark. Thanks again.

What, what am I saying? Curse you @littlewave !!!!! I don't need a bike. I don't want a bike. I hate you, foul tempter. :mad:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You obviously - if secretly - want a bike. ;)

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Let me know what time you are gonna go. Might demo one (although I’m still set on a Smash once I can pull the trigger on a new bike).

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Up Stairs, down Rock-It (World's best suspension test track), up Mathis, down Car Wreck, up Cholla, down Stairs. Change bikes. Up Willow, down Rattlesnake. Back up Rattlesnake, down Lizard. Up Laurel, across Bommer Ridge, down T and A. Return bike.

Whaddya think?

Wait - gotta get some chunky climbing in there somehow. Up Rock-It?

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nah, it’s easy to demo bikes with absolutely no intentions of buying a new one. Heck, that is what I spent Sunday doing.

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Where are the camping, wrist band, waiting and staging areas for FB29 demo’ers? :eek::(:bang:

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, Taiwan, how much does it hurt?????????!? :sneaky::thumbsup:

Sorry. Back to pimping overpriced, imported plastic from a motor bike mfr. :speechless::unsure:

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "I'm better than you..." o_O

Mikie, doublewide and Danmtchl like this.
  14. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I did indeed demo the Firebird 29 in an XL. Fox 36 RC2 or maybe Grip 2. Fox something or other shock (air with piggyback and climb switch). Shimano XTR Derailleur, 11-46 cassette. 30t Race Face chainring.

Firebird R 11-18-19.JPG

Geometry felt perfect immediately. A little roomier than the cockpit on my XL Tracer. It didn't really feel like a monster truck (at first) despite it being shod with 2.5" Minions (DHF, DHRII). Seat dropper post (Fox Transfer) seemed really long, with a lot of it exposed. XT Brakes.

First impression - climbing Philips Rd. Philips is a steep grind that hurts on my bike (30 t x 10-42 rear), but I can usually make it unless I've already got a lot of climbing under my belt. When I clicked the Firebird into the 46, I was surprised that it felt every bit as difficult as my bike. Perhaps the large wheels and tires?

So now let's check out its ability to climb chunk. This is where DW should shine, right? So off I go up some of the chunk. Well, I made it about as far as I make it on my Tracer. No noticeable difference. I really wanted to be blown away.

Pushed up to the alternate route, then tried riding again. The bike felt big. I had my hands full riding up the rocky bits, but I made it.

Then it was time to hit the best suspension test track in the world - Rock-It. It handled the flatter top section great, but as I dove into the section above the rock garden and the rock garden itself, I had to throttle back some of the speed I normally carry. Bummer. I figured the wagon wheels and blingy suspension would add a few MPH. As I approached the "up and over" section, there was a group of about 15 riders sessioning and filming the rock step-up. They yelled that I was clear, so I wanted to make it smooth and quick for the audience. Then the videographer yelled out "Go old man! Wow, I've never seen someone so old ride a bike before!" It was Mo, and 14 of his disciples. I did clean it with pace and got some cheers. After bantering a bit, and reminding Mo who taught him how to ride that section in the first place, I kept going.

I continued through the super quick turns, rock slab and little jump. Again the bike felt a bit big, but pretty damn good. I wish I had let air out of the suspension, as I could now tell it was over-sprung. At the bottom, I had only used half of the (170mm?) of suspension. I typically like my fork to use 85% of it on Rock-It and Luge.

Before climbing Cholla, I dropped the fork from 85 to 70 psi, and the shock from 230 to 218. I didn't want to hit Stairs with the suspension too stiff. The Cholla climb felt like it always feels. I was no faster. The front end on the Firebird was more inclined to lift than the front of my Tracer.

I took it fairly easy down Stairs, as I was alone and I was not confident in the suspension. This is where I noticed the big wheels. The ledges were noticeably less ledgy. The suspension was performing better, so I opened it up a bit. Hit my lines easily. Almost cheating.

As I returned to the Pivot van, my summary was "nice bike. Really good geometry." I was not blown away by the bike in any way. It's still on the short list, but there's nothing about it that says "I need to go out and buy this."

I want to try the Yeti SB 150 and the Intense Carbine next. No hurry. I don't anticipate needing or wanting a bike for at least a year.

EPILOGUE:
    When I got on my bike the following day, my confidence was through the roof. My suspension is as dialed as it can be. The 2.3" tires on 27.5" wheels are more nimble, and the suspension kinematics are nearly identical - at least based on the short test ride I did.

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    I felt the same way when I demoed it. The best feeling suspension bike I have ever ridden was my tracer 29 140 rr, 150 front. It had a tuned after market rp33 shock by Drake at Iso suspension back in the day. That setup floated over the chunk and climbed descent. My rdo rip 9 with the dp x2 is very very close. And climbs a bit better. I have owned 9 bikes.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I demo ed a switchblade couple months ago... it felt way over shocked... did not feel any bumps or jumps .. it flattened everything...
    but then again I was on the floop...

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    they should not do demos at the floop...

19. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We are having a Pivot Demo next week here in Bakersfield.

Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?