China Peak Bike Park?

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Cornholio, Oct 28, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Anyone ridden here? Looks like some good trails but wondering if anyone has any suggestions (especially for a solo rider).

We are getting back into our summer trips up into the Sierras to Vermillion Valley Resort, which is a cool place my friends father in law owns/runs. The “resort” is just off the SOT so not much to ride from camp but China Peak is not far away so I was thinking of bringing the Huffy this year.

I wish more trails were bike friendly near camp, such a rad place..
    C417F4FA-36EB-400E-B2E3-44D1666E5DFB.jpeg
    Devil’s Bathtub

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  3. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I rode there 6-7 years ago, so I don't have very up to date info. I recall a very SLOW chairlift and pretty limited, easy trails. I think they do an enduro race there now, so maybe better trails than when I went.

Looks like a pretty long (1.5 hr?) drive from where you are staying. I wouldn't drive that far for that park unless you're hard up for something to do.

4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I think it’s similar to Snow Summit meaning new things happening the past few years. Some of the YouTube videos make it look decent but it’s always hard to gauge trails on video.

Definitely a bit of a drive back down the mountain from our camp but we will be up there for at least 5 nights and even though I’ll be the only one bringing a bike a couple of my buddies are capable and would possibly rent bikes.

5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Didn't check out the bike park but I did some exploring in the general area this summer. There is a loop around Shaver Lake that was ok. Some parts great, some parts no so great. It's on Trailforks. MTB Project has another ride called Tour de Granite nearby. I didn't have time to check it out and sounds like it may be hard to follow now. The Nat Geo map I bought for Shaver Lake shows some other singletrack. I checked a couple of them out and they don't seem to exist on the ground. Most trail users seem to be hikers headed for Wilderness areas, and OHVs.

6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Whoa, so stunning!

herzalot, Danmtchl, Cornholio and 2 others like this.
  7. PMORTUARY

PMORTUARY Member

Name:
    Dave (D2)
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance
    I haven't ridden there but California Enduro Series has raced there many times. Search CES on strava and YouTube you should find lots of videos.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Cougar did one of the Enduro races up there. He said it was chunky and very tough. Maybe he can chime in...

9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I did!

I don't know how many of the trails I rode were open normally versus only during the CES race. But it was probably some of the hardest riding I had done in a single day, especially from a technical level. Some got into my head, and some was just tough. Here's my strava of the day (we got to take the lift before we ever started pedaling, but then never again on the day)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1062928521

That last stage was the hardest for me, and there were two other stages that us beginners didn't ride that looked even crazier. I don't really have any specific advice other than I wish I could go back and spend a day or two sessioning those trails. They were fun, but hard as hell racing them blind (w/o having ridden them before).

10. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Sounds like some fun stuff and hitting it blind in a race would definitely up the sketch factor.

Thanks for all the info guys, might be heading up a day or two early to check this place out and maybe rent a cabin before we “rough it” up at Vermillion. Since I’m hauling one bike I might throw my wife’s bike on so we can pedal around some dirt roads near camp when we are up there.

Cougar, herzalot, doublewide and 2 others like this.