Forum etiquette question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buggravy, Oct 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So on flyfishing forums that I'm on, and to a lesser extent snow forums, people tend to not name their honey holes, or secret powder stashes by name, for obvious reasons. With mountain biking everything seems to be pretty well documented, and trail names seem to flow freely on here and other forums. That said, I assume some are sacrificial lambs, and others are closely guarded secrets. Safe assumption, or is all that discussed pretty openly? Not that I'm privy to all the goods just yet, but also wouldn't want to blow up somebody's favorite spot inadvertently.

shawndoh, MrGreedom, Luis and 12 others like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Oh here we go...

Faust29, mike, Luis and 7 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If trails are legal and approved, feel free to mention them by name. If they are not, please don't.

Knowing which is which may be a little tricky. In my neck of the woods, if it's named on the official park map and/or it has a named trail sign, it's a legal and approved trail. If not, it's not.

Thank you for your discretion. Push has come to shove down in my 'hood.

Faust29, mike, kioti and 15 others like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    In all seriousness, this post answers my question completely.

Faust29, mike, Danmtchl and 9 others like this.
  5. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    and along with not mentioning them, don’t Strava them either

6. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Really? I had no idea. It's funny how every hobby has their top secret ish. That's annoying sometimes.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I don't know anyone that wouldn't be happy to show you the goods when you are on a ride with them.

Like hrz said, it's not about secret trails, just legality when talking about it on social media.

Cyclotourist, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  8. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    A ha. I just see a lot of instances I'll end up lost. Never thought about being on an illegal trail. :eek:

Cyclotourist, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I don’t doubt it. Seems like there’s a lot of camaraderie among members here. Really the reason for my post was that in my recent intro thread I responded to someone who said they are close to me by rattling off a few trails I’ve been riding. It occurred to me after I posted that that could frowned upon. I mean, they were all trails that I found through internet searching, but one in particular (that was my fave) was one that I had completely to myself on a beautiful Saturday. Anyway, discretion being the better part of valor I went back and edited out trail names.

kioti, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  10. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    A shameless plug for my podcast... this episode talks about trail etiquette and the current state of access. https://www.freehubpodcast.com/episode-15-aliso-woods-laguna-coast-trail-access/

-ROCKY-, kioti, Old&InTheWay and 11 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    If you're unsure about a trail, you can always PM someone who's familiar with the area... I'd bet that @Luis , @UPSed , and @bigringrider101 could answer most questions about the trails up there.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?