SHARE Special Event!

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by Andy, Jun 17, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 10-27-18
  1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Ride Name: SHARE Special Event!
    When: October 27th 2018
    Time: 11:30 - 3pm
    Where: Rose Canyon Cantina, 20722 Rose Canyon Rd, Trabuco Canyon, California 92679
    Ride Description or Details:
    T.B.A. please check back!
    ~~~~~ Optional Details ~~~~~
    Meet Location:
    T.B.A. please check back!
    Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate
    Ride Pace: Social Cruise, Easy with Moments of Effort
    Type of Ride:
    Rider Limit:
    Anticipated Mileage:
    Elevation Gain:
    Ride Duration:
    Previous Ride Reports:
    Possible Bail-Outs:
    Facilities:
    Food/water suggestions:
    Option to Upload:

SHAREhalloween2018-01L.jpg

xhuskr, Oaken, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  3. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Nope, ‘fraid not... :whistling:

Good guess though

4. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Dang - those were good times. I still have the socks!

5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Andy, think this is firm now (it's listed on the website), time to update with details?

6. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I only update the website, I don't update iMTB... :whistling:

But seriously... There's going to be a small fee should anybody wish to buy food (tacos etc), just waiting for confirmation on that, which I expect will be Monday...

7. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Will there be bicycle riding involved?

8. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    We should have confirmation on Monday (10/8) about this event. There will be bicycle riding involved, although probably in an unofficial capacity. There's quite a few of the members that put a lot of their free time (and $$$) into the community, and this is one of the opportunities to get everyone together without it being a fund-raiser, trail work day, or other commitment...just go for a ride and have some pretty good food in a nice environment...and celebrate 30 years of existence. The intent of the (tiny) fee is to cover the cost of the RSVP...and make sure people who RSVP actually show up...there's nothing worse than having 150 RSVP's, put down the deposit to cover it, and have half show up.

Besides, we're all going to ride anyway, we're all going to eat lunch, and the location will satisfy everyone from the casual to the hard-core.

Suggested loops that will keep people off of Live Oak Canyon Road (except if they want to descend it) will also be posted for those members unfamiliar with the area.

(and maybe some beverages)

Stay tuned.

Danmtchl, Torrent77, Oaken and 3 others like this.
  10. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Updated Link:
    http://sharemtb.com/event/share-30th-anniversary-ride-and-celebration/

For those who are interested, follow the link to the website. We are in the process of signing the final agreement with Rose Canyon Cantina as the HQ for the lunch portion of the event, and we'll be asking all who attend to park off-site and ride to the event. There will be a cap, as although its normally a slow weekend for them, we will only have 1/2-3/4 of the outdoor patio space. The nominal fee is to ensure that those who RSVP are motivated to attend...nothing worse than Facebook RSVP's turning into a lot of wasted food, or have those that RSVP and occupy the limited space not show up.

The event is limited to SHARE members as a way to provide a measure of thanks for the efforts of the members throughout the past few years. Each individual SHARE member can bring (1) adult guest and children under 10 do not count as a +1. Not a SHARE member? Why not become one. We've been around a minute longer than IMBA, and were active long before we were affiliated with them.

At the very least, become a member, come on out, and see if you want to get more involved. I got involved by working on Mentally Sensitive as part of the efforts to pave the way for racing in the OC Parks, and then Lizards and trails in Aliso/Laguna Coast with the Laguna Canyon Foundation.

Ride routes starting from Oneil and using the nearby Luge and Whiting areas are easy to create without having to use Live Oak Canyon Road, but if you're looking for advice, I'm happy to offer up some suggestions.

PM me with questions...or post them up here. I'll be lurking unless I'm out with several sick individuals in Wrightwood this Saturday.

11. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    mountaingirl sara and H2oChick like this.
  12. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    What is the age limit for this event? I'd like to bring my 10 year old son.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  13. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon

@Torrent77 no age limit, 10 is fine, bring your son, be good to see you again

mountaingirl sara and Torrent77 like this.
  14. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    @MnMDan trried to pm you but for some reason it said I couldn’t!

I’m planning on coming with my wife and two kids (4 and 2) but I’ve only got my individual membership. Do I need to bump that up (or make a donation?), and when I reserve do I just pay the $5, or $5/person?

Also, thoughts on a super mellow dirt experience for the 4 year old? He can peddle about a mile or two on his own, so if there’s something mellow nearby I might ride with him beforehand.

Thanks and look forward to seeing you there!

15. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    @littlewave I have an adam's trail-a-bike that you can use for this event. It was the only option I had to get a decent ride in with my kids.

Faust29, mountaingirl sara and Andy like this.
  16. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    @littlewave

You're ok with your wife and (2) kids being counted under your individual membership. Our goal is to make sure we don't dissuade people from coming for this reason, but it helps us get an accurate count. The patio area we have will hold between 75-100 people, and we have to respect that we don't have the #'s or the $'s to rent out the whole place for the lunch.

As for mellow dirt in the area, there's the Trabuco Creek Wash area of O'Neill right across the street, as well as some of the horse trails in that park that are well packed down (Pawfoot Trail...Rose Canyon is at the upper right corner of the trail map). A little further to the west is the start of the Trabuco Creek trail where it leaves O'Neil Park. Its pretty a pretty mellow dirt access that might be just the thing.

We held our Take-A-Kid Mountain Biking event in this area previously and there were enough options for everyone.

http://www.ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=15694

17. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    These are suggested routes for those unfamiliar with the area and looking to ride before, after, or during the event. They are unsanctioned and not officially affiliated. They traverse officially recognized trails only. As always, exercise personal responsibility when riding, and please be courteous to all trail users. (Note that the rankings are not relative to @mtnbikej or @MnMDan and what they would judge as "hardcore", but rather a relative ranking from a ride that would take many people 3-4 hours at the 5* level towards a ride that could be done with a family in tow in about an hour. All ride lengths are measured from the Trabuco Road Dirt Lot.

5* Route - For the Hardcore

21.5 miles/3900 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15978012

4* Route - For the Less Hardcore

14 miles/2500 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15982379

3* Route - For a Good Time

15.3 miles/2100 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15977997

2* Route - Just Rolling Along

17 miles/1200 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15977945

1* Route - I Just Want a Quick Ride

8 miles/400 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15977957

“Shot Route” - Just like it sounds…Quick, Intense, and “Why?”

6 miles/600 feet

https://www.strava.com/routes/15977982

19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Your first two options go up Cadillac. That's my kind of masochism. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Woof. :oops:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Got a question for you Dan, or @Andy. With all of the talk about trail advocacy, potential limitation of mtbs, trail design and maintenance, etc. I am curious where SHARE stands on the recent work done on the top section of Camarillo in LCWP and Cactus in Whiting?

Is this good work? Is this what SHARE sees as the future of OC trail design? Genuinely curious...

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Torrent77

Name:
    Dave
    Turn out was low this morning. No short rides so me and my son ended up riding down Arroyo trabuco on our own. We got lost a few times and ended up back at oneil around 1pm. I hope next time there would be designated guides... :confused:

23. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Sorry to have missed you Dave... "unforeseen circumstances" kept my away until after you'd gone...

Cyclotourist and Torrent77 like this.
  24. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    I think the general opinion is that Camarillo as a trail instead of a fire road is better. Could it be better still?...Yes, but that could be said of any trail.
    Cactus? Every five years it sees some heavy equipment, people complain, then forget about it and then start complaining about other things that aren't resolved until the next piece of heavy equipment comes out. Its built on a rocky ridgeline that's more San Diego rock than OC Clay, so it eventually devolves into rocky braking bumps.

Every person who puts more than 20 hours a year into trail work has different opinions about what is right and appropriate...but we're all in agreement that a trail built well will survive multiple user groups and be sustainable. Sustainable means that its around in 20-years. In each park, and for each trail, that means something different. What makes Hawk in Santiago Oaks sustainable is not the same as what makes Coyote Run in Aliso or 2-Balls in San Juan Capistrano sustainable.

Potential limitation of MTB's is always there, and will always be there. One thing I have noticed is that we should probably align ourselves with the decreasing equestrian community, as they are starting to feel the pinch we have been experiencing since MTB started. Trails are closing to horses, parks are closing to horses (Aliso removed their horse trailer parking area), and hikers are increasingly antagonistic to horses...I was shocked at the latter, but as much as I come across horses everywhere, most of them prefer my respectful attitude to them as opposed to the indifference and hostility they tell me they get mostly from the power-walking community.

I could go on...and probably will...but I have to get back to work...Good Questions that will always be around.

25. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    Turnout was lower than we'd hoped...we need to figure it out a little better next year. But then again we live in an area where there are options, and people took advantage of them. Hopefully this was a good first step, we can learn and get better next time around.

On the plus side, Take A Kid Mountain Biking is back at Irvine Regional Park this coming weekend:
    http://sharemtb.com/event/take-a-kid-mountain-biking-november-4th/

26. Poofighter

Poofighter Member

Name:
    Noel
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Shortboy
    I remember when my son was younger and attended this event when Adam ran it just over a decade ago. It has grown immensely and it looks like Share runs it now. In any case if you have little ones, it is always a good time and the LBS/manufacturers kick in a bunch of swag. Unfortunately, my kid is a teenager now and wants no part of it and is too cool for dad. :rolleyes:o_O

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Andy and 2 others like this.
  27. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Enjoyed our day out. Dragged the whole family along and took a short cruise through O'Neill then back to Rose Canyon for tacos.

MnMDan, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thank you for your response. I am very appreciative of those who can and do spend hours trying to maintain or improve trails. When it comes to trail design, one man's improvement is often another man's disappointment (or even outrage). Can't please everybody. I know that any "critique" is read as a "complaint" but here's my assessment of some recent trail design:

It seems that the new section of Camarillo was strategically designed to make bikes go slow. The placement of humps and the "disappearing" berms that give way to out-sloped terrain right at apex require some very strange technique. Not like laying into a berm (such as on Meadows or Luge). I know that Mike from LCF knows how to build berms, but I believe he deliberately chose a design to keep bikes as slow as possible.

The new re-design of Cactus has a similar feel, although the top part does have proper berms. The new "humps" leading into the berms invite riders to sort of leap into the turn, but that puts them into a perpendicular angle to the berm by the time they can turn. The better choice is to stay grounded and absorb the new humps. There are two critical turns about 2/3rds of the way down the trail that are deliberately out-sloped right after a long straight, with a "launch" leading into the out-sloped turn. Lots of evidence of bikers skidding and going off-trail trying to make the consecutive right turns.

I am hoping this is not the future of trail design in OC Parks. But that said, I think we are facing a bigger problem than awkward trail design at the moment - like continuing access to bikes.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?