MTB / Fat Tire Festivals? Who's been where?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Oct 9, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Who has taken the time to go to a MTB or Fat Tire Festival in the past? Where did you go? What was your experience?

I've been to a few and always have a great time. Hanging out with several hundred like minded people talking mountain bikes, dirt and other travel related hotspots is pretty cool. There's always a beer garden, a band or two...or three, tons of vendors and of course bike demos galore. Most venues provide free shuttles to the trails and sometimes guides as well if you're interested in that. Best of all is while it may seem like a lot of people, all these areas have sooooo many trail options that the trails are never crowded. You might see 25 people instead of 5-10.

Here on some Western US options for 2019 if you're interested....

Sedona March 1-3 http://sedonamtbfestival.com

Hurricane March 29-31 http://www.hurricanemtbfestival.com

Fruita May 3-5 https://fruitafattirefestival.com

Monterey April 19-22 http://www.seaotterclassic.com/about-us/

mike, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I went to Sedona and Hurricane a couple of the first 2-3 years at each. Really liked them when they were small, but have no interest especially in sedona now its been fully commercialized. I don't need a tour guide, don't care about demos or vendors, and not really interested in going during a busy weekend - sure the trails may spread people out but it can be a lot harder to find a good camping spot on these weekends.

mike and mtbMike like this.
  3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, I read about the sh**-show at Sedona last year where people were running to get in line for bikes at the drop of a rope line. They received tons of complaints from what I here and are changing the process. I never demo bikes either as mine is set up perfect for me but everybody I travel with always demos so I take a spin on those usually. I don't use the guides but have used the shuttles. For me, at least on past trips which 2016 in Hurricane was my last, the *experience* drowns out the negatives. Camping is a last resort for me so that's a non-issue. On a related lodging issue, somebody is developing a Gooseberry "resort" of sorts down in Apple Valley right next to Hwy 59 so while they do face Gooseberry Mesa, you're nowhere near the trails. They are micro and micro-micro units and still being built. Some of them are smaller than the bathrooms up on the mesa or at the bottom of Nobel Canyon for example.

mike and LLPoolJ like this.
  4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Hitting up the Prescott Festival this weekend. Small from what it looks like. Will hit a few shuttles, my Boy will Demo a bike or 2. Sunday I will be participating in the Enduro.

mike, Mikie, mtbMike and 1 other person like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Make sure you stop in for a meal at Park Plaza Liquor & Deli. In all my trips to Preskitt, I assumed it was a liquor store that had a typical sandwich deli inside. However, it’s much more including a restaurant with EXCELLENT food, a full bar, a wine bar and a huge beer selection if you’re into that.

mike, doublewide and LLPoolJ like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the tip. Not an alcohol guy, but will check out the food on one of my trips to Pre Scott

mike likes this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Let me know how that goes. Still have an eye on Prescott... :thumbsup:

mike, DangerDirtyD and LLPoolJ like this.
  8. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    We'll be in Sedona for March 3-4, 2019. I had a great time for my first time riding there this last March. We only used their shuttles one day. We self shuttled using our own trucks the rest of the time. It's pretty there. I'm happy to go back. Last year our wives went on a wine tour while the guys were out riding. There were 3-4 couples in our group along with a father and son team. All of whom are in our motorcycle enduro club. One of our friends never road their own bikes. He paid for the full 3 day shuttle pass for himself, his wife and teenage son. They each demoed a different bike each day. Yes the trials are good and burnt in but it's all still new to me. Although there were a ton of people, we made it out on one of the first shuttles. Getting there early paid off.

mike, mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  9. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    What do you need to know? I am there often. My boy lives there. Cool place lots of riding close by if not right out your garage. Lots of old opinionated peeps like yourself.:whistling: Plenty of secluded lots no river though like you want. Camp Verde has that down the road.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I once rode with about 30 other people on a trail called Golden Eagle. That was a hell of a festival!

Otherwise, I've only been to a couple of NORBA races and some Fontana Races - kind of festival-ish. Pretty fun.

mike, mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    @Stkx66 You’re right, Sedona is purty. Even though I enjoy dense forest riding the most, Sedona might be the most beautifully stunning place I’ve ridden. I try to get there at least once a year. I love the festival atmosphere but I could see the best Sedona trails getting jammed up with 1000+ riders there that weekend. The important part is you and your friends enjoyed yourself...so much so you’re going back, crowds and all. That’s good stuff!!

mike likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?