Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Also, they couldn't have waited for that hiker to come off Fenceline before starting down?! She was two steps from being completely out of their way. :bang:

2. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    same could be said about the first video. no communication with any of the other trail users. Just fly by them without a care in the world.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... No communication, no bell, no class... "Look at me!"

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Rough crowd around here. I remember back when I was 63.. I used to ride like that too!?!

But, hey, I'm 64 and a lot better now. :thumbsup:

OTHRider, Danimal, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Like a fine bottle of wine...

Faust29, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 4 others like this.
  6. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
    Got this email, I won’t be back in time because Canada is insane and I’m having too much fun following people trying to kill me but if you are around good time to participate!

C378AD87-9CE4-4EB8-9C16-96FC3F38EC5C.png

MrGreedom, shawndoh, LLPoolJ and 11 others like this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Umm.. that cork was yanked a looong time ago. :Roflmao But thanks!!! :inlove:

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Mo, come back! We need you!!! :)

9. Mo Awesome

Mo Awesome Member

Name:
    MoAwesome
    Current Bike:
    All of them
    I would but I’m riding hundreds of massive rock slabs, insane death tech moves (all of which are legal, on a map, and maintained) surrounded by forest with no toll road running through it and no one is trying to give me a ticket. And I get 25%off everything because USA ! It’s goingto be a tough sell to get me back at this point

But the weather should turn soon and then we’ll be back

470E1FC3-EE17-4F16-ABAA-4FCE015F38F0.jpeg

10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Its tuff to ride in desert after wet carpet

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As Mo posted, I got this from Hallie Jones today:

Laguna Canyon Foundation Trails Forum

Thursday, 10/18

5- 7pm

Laguna Beach Beer Company
    859 Laguna Canyon Road
    Laguna Beach, CA

I will make plans to be there. I have a meeting with a City Council woman that following Saturday also.

Faust29, Mikie, SingleTrackJB and 8 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Douchebag statement of the day from the Oaks today: "I just don't stop, they can't do anything if I don't stop".

Statement made by an ebiker when I commented on the fact that the parks were issuing tickets for ebikes in the park. So instead of manning up, he just runs instead. Makes all of us look bad.

Then again, said douchebag rolled up with his half lid, 100% goggles, shin guards and elbow guards.

Sorry, things like this are not winning anyone over.

On a positive note, I gave him about 1/3rd run down Barham Ridge before I chased him down and passed him. Suz nearly caught him as well....but he reached the climb and took off.

Andy, Faust29, DBMX119 and 7 others like this.
  13. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    They will get that 25% back when you buy a tank of gas at $4.56 a gallon.
    The price of 1 liter (1/4 gallon) of gas in Vancouver is $1.14 (C$1.49)
    https://www.expatistan.com/price/gas/vancouver/USD

Faust29, Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  14. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Well, he understands California law pretty well then—if I’m not arrested then it’s completely legal.

15. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    If the Rangers were smart, they would arrest a few of the "runners" for fleeing and confiscate their bikes. They are law enforcement, afterall. The word would spread very quickly.

If the Rangers were really smart, they would write a ticket for speeding for every loser on an eBike who pulls out a handicapped placard ... there are ways around everyone's way around.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  16. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Does this group have any actual influence with the people who actually make the decisions? I am not super familiar with the group, so that is a legit question.

If so, I could attend, despite having other plans. I only mention it because it seems like this particular meeting might have a large gathering .... numerous bikers on my FB have posted the link ... both those I am with and those I am against. If the pro-eBike crowd will be strong and the group has reasonable influence, I might be willing to sacrifice my plans and show up.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    LCF is the primary group authorized to put shovel to earth in Aliso and LCWP. However, they are not law enforcement in any way.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  18. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    LCF also has a lot of sweat equity, community capital, and have been more pro-active in their participation with all users and the governing authorities in the management of Aliso and LCWP than just about anyone else. Their membership and core group includes many who were using the trails in these areas before they were even part of a trail management plan or the land was acquired as a buffer around Laguna Beach.

They do have influence. They are not law enforcement. Their HQ is at the bottom of Stairsteps. And as I said, they are well-respected as a group among the MTB Industry as well as those who may have an anti-MTB bent. Its a tough line they straddle. At worst, attending means beer. At best, its a chance to connect with more people and find opportunities to make a larger positive impact.

herzalot, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  19. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I'm going to try and attend. I was trying to lay out a ride to do before hand... tough to do one that doesn't end up coming down the og trail that should not be named lol. I will obviously not do that for all of the reasons, I just found it ironic that my first through was hrm, that is right at the bottom of ......

20. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Let me know if you're going to ride before, maybe I'll sneak out of work early and join.

herzalot, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Then they would argue they are being profiled/targeted due to their "disabilities."

The wheel keeps turning...

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The justification that other areas (National Forest...) have used is that a wheelchair is always an assistive device for the disabled. It has no other purpose. The same can not be said for an e-bike. In fact, looking at the Specialized website, they use words like "thrilling" to describe the ride. Nowhere do they even mention that their e-bikes are designed for handicapped mobility.

A truly disabled person isn't looking for thrills. They just want to get around.

herzalot, Mikie, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It would be cool for there to be complimentary electric wheelchairs that they could offer. "Why yes sir and/or madam, we realize your disability precludes your fully enjoying this resource, so we have this available for you to use during your stay with us..."

Mikie likes this.
  24. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    p6pb16382201.jpg

p6pb16382202.jpg

25. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Agree, is the intent really that handicapped can ride e-bikes or is it that handicapped can use electric wheel chairs in parks (obviously not suitable for most trails but perhaps for some).

26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Anyone wanna thumb wrestle?

MrGreedom, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I'm not going to debate thumb wrestling with you. Get over it... :rolleyes:

28. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I feel like enforcement is always going to be lacking when it comes to ebikes on trails they're not allowed on. I imagine it's easier to tell someone to leave immediately or disconnect their battery, than to write a ticket or impound a bike.

Public safety usually takes priority over simply enforcing rules. As long as the ebike is blending in and not riding like a hooligan, I highly doubt any ranger is going to stop what they're doing and get involved. I imagine the majority of trail users would rather a ranger enforce leash laws than chase down e-poachers blending in with a group of regular riders.

What would really force an agency's hand on ebikes is if people were constantly getting injured riding them or injuring bystanders. Until then, ebikes in most prohibited areas, is likely going to be enforced like speeding on the highway, dark tint on front windows, no front plate, etc...

Another thing to consider is most commercial ebikes can be ridden without power. Golden Gate bridge has prohibited ebikes for as long as I can remember, but you can still ride them across if you power them down. Disconnecting the battery isn't required, so no one every does.

Will rangers not cite if the bike is powered down or the battery completely disconnected? Is it okay if the battery is a backpack or left in the car? It would be funny if the rangers would take the battery forcing a conventional ride to their station to pick it up. :laugh:

29. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Must be my mastery of it.

Sidewalk, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I know ebikers think they blend in, but y’all are ridiculously easy to spot at a great distance.

I’ve only encountered one fit rider on an ebike ever. He was hard to spot, as he was taking a break. If you move at the speed of a World Cup champ but your BMI is over 30, you aren’t fooling anyone.