I'm going to buy a Walmart Mountain Bike.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ROCKY-, Sep 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Good evening all, I'm Rocky. Now I'm not trolling by telling you I'm interested in a Walmart bike. I am serious. I am actually brand new to mountain biking and don't have a mtbike. I bought a beach cruiser a year ago for exercise and as of late taken a real interest in mtb.
    I'd like to buy a my first full suspension bike and get my feet wet. I know I'll need to spend a lot of time building my skills to even think about tackling even a beginner course. I know all the serious guys run high dollar rigs, maybe one day I'll be there too. But now, considering I'm really just starting, I will not go for an advanced bike. I also know there has to be bikes that maybe aren't the lightest, but are plenty durable to get me going. I'm looking for a full suspension alloy bike that will easily accept upgrades, and has the best rear suspension design. (most important to me) I know there is plenty of debate on that, I'm new, I want to hear it lol. I don't necessarily have to buy the bike at Walmart, but do want to stay under $500. Diamond Back, Schwinn, Mongoose, etc, is what I've kind of been looking at. Not sure if it matters but doing a little reeeallysearch, it looks like my home"track" will be the Fullerton loop here in southern California, it's supposed to be beginner friendly lol. Thanks in advance guys, I'm looking forward to hearing from you all, thanks for having me.

Mikie, kioti, MrGreedom and 7 others like this.
  2. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Hey Rocky, welcome!
    Best bet is probably buying a used bike, and here's a medium full suspension. And spending a bit more might get you a bike that'll be more durable. Good luck!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2412367/

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

This is going to eliminate new bikes.......

It is going to put you into used bikes in the 5-8 year old range. Like computers.....a lot of things have changed in those years. I'm not saying you can't do it. What I am saying is that at your budget, you may end up with a bike that needs some work. Cheap and full suspension do not go hand in hand.

If the FLoop is your intended go to ride.....you don't need full suspension. With your budget, getting into a hardtail means you will get an all around better bike.

Mikie, -ROCKY-, kioti and 10 others like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Save your money and get a used hardtail. A quality 26" from Pinkbike or CL is 1,000 times better than anything you would get from Wal*Mart.
    Find something with a Rock Shox fork, and at least Shimano Deore or SRAM X9 shifty bits. Nine speed is fine.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/search/bik?srchType=T&min_price=100&max_price=500&bicycle_type=8

Here are some examples:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/mint-kona-caldera-disc/6695454768.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/d/16-kona-mountain-bike-rock/6705020795.html

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/d/motobecane-fantom-pro-26/6707540032.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-mountain-bike/6710261976.html

If you insist on giving the Walton family your money, stay away from their full suspension bikes, and look at a hardtail. It will probably hold up for long enough to determine if you like riding mountain bikes.

Mikie, -ROCKY-, kioti and 8 others like this.
  5. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Wow, you guys are on it! I hadn't realised how active this forum is!!! Thank you guys so much for the quick responses! I had a feeling I would be told to go hard tail. I can understand why. Lots of terrain looks soo rough, I would think that would fatigue your body really quick? That's what motivates me towards a fs bike. But I want to learn. I'm going to further look into these recommendations, thanks loads guys! It's nearly midnight, so we'll pick this up tomorrow!?

Mikie, kioti, MrGreedom and 6 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    A full-suspension Wal Mart bike will fail within a month, if not sooner. The parts are not meant for the actual loads of mt. biking, they are built for riding in the street and smoothing out potholes and curbs. The derailleur(s), chain, brakes, hubs and cranks are the most likely items to fail first, usually when you are downshifting going up a steep hill. Also, it is put together by employees who have no clue what they are doing, so you would need to go through the bike thoroughly - a loose bolt on the front end (handlebar, stem, fork, etc) could result in serious injury.

The guys that chimed in above are steering you towards bikes that are built for actual mt. biking. You don't need full suspension - your arms and legs are amazing shock absorbers, and a properly inflated 2.3" tire takes a lot of the sting out of the trail too.

Welcome to the best little mtb forum west of the Pecos!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, kioti and 8 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was working at the shop yesterday and a couple walked in looking for a.bike, for him.
    This guy immediately showed me the photos he took of a month-old Huffy he got at a large retailer. The bike was in a trash can. He said it was the worst waste of $200 ever. Never worked right, everything was loose, tires went flat constantly.
    This guy is not your typical cyclist. Rasta dude, looking to commute 10 to 12 miles a day, slowly and comfortably.
    He choose an Electra cruiser. Not my first choice for a commuter but it will get the job done. $400 out the door with lights, rack, lock, and taxes. Includes warranty and one year of service on the bike. Happy guy.

Our shop offers entry level, Specialized Pitch MTBs for just under $500. Includes disc brakes and front shock. Aluminum frame, 3x8 gearing and 2.3" knobby tires. Warranty and service too. More than enough for a Fully Loop cruiser.
    Throw another $150 at it and you get the Comp with hydro brakes, beefier fork with lockout and 9 speed shifting

Oh yeah, a month ago the bike was only $450 but someone decided the American consumer needs to pay for a trade war...
    You should see what the prices are like on e-bikes now!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, herzalot and 13 others like this.
  8. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    These guys know what their talking about! I bought a piece of crap for my first bike and regretted it almost immediately! Bought a real bike just a few months later:thumbsup:

Mikie, -ROCKY-, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I started mountain biking in 2015 on an entry level decent quality (not Walmart) hard tail.

I now race pro. Proof you don't need full suspension.

Listen to the advice these guys are giving you. They'll save you a LOT of hassle, and a LOT of lessons learned.

Oh, and I am sill racing a hardtail, as a pro. Difference is, I am racing a $5000 hardtail (not $500).

Mikie, -ROCKY-, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I have a 2008 Specialized Pitch I can sell you that I put $600 into it, I’ll sell it for $500, has low miles on it, my son rode it but never got into it. I have never rode it after I pit the money into it.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Welcome... I started riding on the dirt in 2011 with an entry level Diamondback hardtail. I think I paid around $700. It lasted 4000 miles or so until I got the bug to upgrade. It went to the Salvation Army still fully functional. Lots of fond memories on that bike!

The "mountain" bikes you see at Wal-Mart are not meant for actual off road use, and many (all?) of them have stickers attached to the frame that says just that... They are toys. Herz says above they are for smoothing out the bumps on a road... I think that's too generous. There are videos on YouTube of guys who take Wal-Mart bikes down real trails just to see how fast they come apart. It usually doesn't take long.

As far as needing full suspension... Maybe down the road. You're not going to be bombing down the Cannell Plunge in the beginning. Start out with some nice fire road climbs and descents, and go from there. Get some fitness, enjoy the views, and wonder at the people down below. Graduate to the more demanding stuff... or not. It's up to you.

And some of us ride a lot of miles on anything and everything on hardtails. Heck- Some of us do it without gears! :p

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, -ROCKY- and 12 others like this.
  12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    @-ROCKY- you will not find a better deal than this. Doug keeps his bikes in Tip-Top shape. You should jump on this. Literally. And welcome!

Mikie, -ROCKY-, herzalot and 12 others like this.
  13. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Hey Rocky, smart of you to ask questions before blowing your cash on a bad decision. I wouldnt be surprised if you made a deal for someones used bike before the day is over.

Careful on that Fullerton loop I've heard it can be a widow maker.

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Diytypeofguy and 12 others like this.
  14. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I think the best FS bike Walmart has to offer is the Mongoose XR Pro 29er... which hasn't been updated in about a decade. It looks good, but in reality, it's not worth the $349 or how every much they're selling for now.

Though the suspension link does have tiny bearings, the main pivot is just a giant smooth bolt. The rear shock isn't a real shock. It's just a spring. Sure you can upgrade the rear shock, fork, drivetrain, wheels.... pretty much everything... but you're still left with a frame that doesn't even have the same engineering as a full suspension frame from 15 years ago.

The next best bike they have that's FS is probably the genesis. It also uses a similar pivot as the XR pro.

As many have said, there are plenty of used bikes out there, even more than 10 years old, that will be better than the best new walmart bike you can buy.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 9 others like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I rode my wife's target bike at the fullerton loop. I noticed there's a sticker on it that states not safe for mountain biking. I have to say it was a joy/thrill to ride. But after one ride that bike has never been the same... (she never rides it anymore and I was looking for something new on the loop... never been so scared in my life going downhill)

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 10 others like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I would estimate an average of 20 years mountain biking experience from each of the 20 or so people actively commenting here. From that there is a collective 400 years of experience telling you to run, not walk away from buying a box store bike.
    You make the call.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 11 others like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Just going to echo what everyone else is saying, stay away from the WallyWorld bike. Buying used like the bike @hill^billy offered is your best bang for the buck. If not and you have to have something shiny and new at least go in to a couple bike shops and see what they have. Lots of shops will give huge discounts on prior year model bikes. I've bought a couple that way.

I ride a lot and commute to work often on my MTB's. I have a guy that works with me that saw how hooked I was and said he wanted to get a bike. At the time I had as primo Cannondale hardtail about 3 years old for sale for $400 that I offered he could take right away just pay me when he got the money. He though $400 was way to much to spend on a bike and made a trip to Walmart. He never could ride that bike as the chain wouldn't stay on so he took it back and they exchanged it for what was supposed to be something better. The new bike has a pedal that's somehow cross threaded in to the cranks and sits completely crooked and barely spins. To date I think that poor walmart bike has only been around the block once or twice while my used bike is still being enjoyed.

Also be sure to factor in a little money for some basic safety equipment like a helmet and gloves.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 13 others like this.
  18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have pictures of people trying g to ride a big box bike out in the hills. They cost more to fix than the initial investment. They get mad and realize they need a real “mountain ‘ bike. As other mentioned pick the the Pitch. It will last a lot longer than any big box bike ever will.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 8 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The only reason to not grab this is if it doesn't fit. Beyond that...shake a leg before he unloads it elsewhere. Highly unlikely you can do better cost:quality-wise.

This site has been amazing in terms of riders responding to requests to purchase gear and bikes. (Not to mention free gear, loaner gear and advice.) Thanks to all for making it happen (@tortoise, @mtnbikej, @CalEpic, @Faust29, etc, etc, etc.). :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 11 others like this.
  20. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Rocky - welcome to the sport and I bet you didn't think you'd receive so many responses (information overload).
    I don't think there is a bad piece of advice in any of the responses above; my $.02 is buy something that has a good resale value (Giant, Specialized, Trek) then you can unload it for what you paid for it when you want to upgrade or if you don't like the sport.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 8 others like this.
  21. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi h20! I really didn't expect soo many responses, yes information overload lol! Thank you guys! Look how many bikes come to light in a day! I definitely appreciate it. I'm sneaking in forum time, so bear with me.

22. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And @-ROCKY- highly recommend you obtain an avatar.:whistling: Our forum admin has been known to "assign" them. And not from Walmart.:laugh:

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 7 others like this.
  23. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Dont do it. I rode my walmart mongoose on floop for about 6 months. The bike failed me many times and I had to cut the ride short. The chain, derailleur, brakes are not made for anything but riding around the block or a jaunt at the park. If your starting out, buy something more reliable.

And let me know if you need a ride buddy for the floop. See you out there.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 9 others like this.
  24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

25. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sniff , sniff sniff. If you are a troll then I highly recommend you buy a Wally bike?

Mikie, Redman, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  26. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I was assigned a Walmart avatar for a solid 6mo at one point. It was a good laugh with Mikie when we first rode and he discovered I was far from the typical Wally World greeter.

Mikie, Faust29, -ROCKY- and 6 others like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh, so you'll ride with him and not with me?? I feel so...insignificant!:oops::laugh:

It's okay, though, 'cause I already know where the HMB is.:thumbsup:

28. Torrent77

Torrent77 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Hey Mark, I'll ride with you whenever and wherever you like. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Take him to Aliso or LCWP please.

Mikie, doublewide, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  30. Rob G

Rob G Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Rob G
    Current Bike:
    Proflex Beast. Giant ATX
    If you ever actually visit this thread again, listen to all the advice NOT to buy that WallyWorld bile.
    You'll likely get quickly discouraged when you find you can't get a replacement for that small part that you just broke (like the non-replaceable derailleur hanger).
    You'll either then pony up money AGAIN, or just quick riding. Both options suck.

If $500 is your max budget, shop around for a decent deal on a used but higher quality bike. The other option is to get into a starter bike on a last-year model closeout. You can likely find a $600 bike in the $300-$400 range at an LBS that needs to unload older merchandise.
    The benefit is that the "real" bike will be built to accept "real" replacement parts should you want to upgrade while keeping the frame. It won't be bombproof, but will certainly hold up better as you learn the sport.

To get an idea of what to look for in a bike, check out "Seth's Bike Hacks" on YouTube. He provides some good pointers for someone new to the game in one of his videos.

Mikie, Faust29, kioti and 6 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?