Whiting Ranch Opportunity

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by BurnDawg, Sep 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    Come help fix Cactus and possibly Sage Scrub on October 5th from 8-12 with SHARE Mountain Bike Club.

From what it sounds and looks like cactus got smoothed out and some work done:
    https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/cactus-rework.7823/#post-151247

They did the same type of maintenance up in Weir Canyon a while ago. Met several riders who washed out in the fresh dumped brown powder. After several months of use the dirt in Weir Canyon is in pretty good shape and not loose or overly sandy.

The bad news is the maintenance is scheduled on Friday when many IMTBers have to work. I love to go play in the dirt and am lucky enough to have Friday off to go give back to the trails. Hope some of you all can make it out.

Please RSVP with SHARE Mountain Bike Club if you will be there.

martha@sharemtb.com

Thanks

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Please don't do tread work when the ground is dry. The work on Cactus is powdery and dangerous and will only get more powdery until it rains. The concept is good, the timing was terrible.

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Perhaps they could tote some watering cans along with them??

kioti and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Yep, shouldn't take more than a couple thousand gallons. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fixed it for you...

and easy peasy. Hook up to the local hydrant. ;)

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Ha! I carried a 5 gallon water can in there once and fixed one pothole on one turn. 4 square feet. That's why I prefer rain.

Oaken, herzalot, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Fire hydrant + fire hose w/variable nozzle: Artificial rain. :)

8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Well, the trail's about a half mile long. But hey, put on your slicker and let'r rip!*

*Based on my little pothole repair, it could take about one gallon per square foot. Trail's about 5 feet wide so 2,640 x 5 for 13,200, round up for loss due to mist etc and we're at about 15,000 gallons. I don't remember a fire hydrant, but there is a huge water tank near the top of 4 corners, but you're gonna need a longer hose. There's also a wee drinking fountain by the kiosk if you think the water tank's overkill. :cool:

9. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    It is now the rainy season: I was thinking about raking up some screed and droppin it into some of the deeper erosion channels. I also would like to do some destructive stuff like puttin in a French Drain across the drops and adding a nice little air opportunity for no extra cost. But as mentioned until the soil moisture is high we should not be working the dirt. And the moisture was not high last year, and not at all the years before. Thus all that work with scraping and berming would be pretty much for naught.
    Happy dry winter summer and fall trails

Cyclotourist likes this.
  10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    It's not the rainy season yet. It used to be at this time of year, but I think now we can't expect rain until November. Blame climate change.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Not necessarily the case when looking at historical data from 1928-2017 in Laguna Beach. I am a nerd and put the data in a pivot table and the deviation is quite small for both September and October during the data period. September has seen a slight decline while October has seen a slight increase in rainfall totals throughout the years; with October having a tiny bit more of an increase when compared to the decrease of September.

Sorry I had to take pics of the data, can’t send stuff from work to personal accounts.

9CDAC303-4044-4281-92D3-78BDD21D931A.jpeg

D4B04DAC-8D34-4E19-9A62-D037A9AA09FD.jpeg

*Disclaimer - This is not a representation of my opinion on climate change nor do I want to engage in a discussion around that, I was just curious.

12. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    We had a barn buster of a storm come through in August a few years ago. That sucker made big ruts on a lot of trails and caught many of us diggers off-guard. We usually do some early season prep by cleaning out drains in November, but I've had good luck doing a quick tune-up ahead of storms if something unusual is forecast. It doesn't take long to remove enough built-up silt from an established drain so it'll flow. Then we can come back afterward and smooth, shape, build..

The goal is to work with nature instead of impose our will upon it. Either that or somehow replicate good earth work conditions, like with lots of imported water. I'm not opposed, but it's a lot more work.

Rumpled, Oaken, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  13. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    So much work done today! And yes we had a very long hose hooked up to the ranger truck’s water tank. Had a group of more than 15 tamping and packing the loose parts of the trail. Some shaping was done and a few berms were worked on.

Tons of fun to get out and play in the dirt and get more practice maintaining the trails. Huge thanks to the OC Parks staff on hand, my fellow hard working volunteers and SHARE for organizing and providing lunch.

14. H2oChick

H2oChick Well-Known Member

Name:
    K-Oss
    Martha - thanks for posting up the SHARE event here on IMTB.
    Lots of good INVOLVED peeps here that will contribute when they can. Please reach out to us for help or input on future projects.

15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks so much! To bad I had to work today.
    I'll try it tomorrow and believe me, the work will be appreciated!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?