What is the best way to buy a new bike these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hill^billy, Sep 23, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

So I am starting to think seriously about pulling the trigger on a new bike. Buying a bike doesn’t happen very often for me so I’m behind on the trend. I am getting a bit worried after some service work was done on my suspension, the OCD mechanic pretty much telling me it’s time for the hole bike to be gone through! I all ready knew this, but the nudge of validation and new bike is ringing in my ears! I have a Moab trip comming up so I don’t want to burden my fellow riders with mechanicals , I assume I will be able to hang better with some help from the new technology that is now offered.
    So what are the pros and cons of buying from a dealer as opposed to on line?

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    A dealer will offer better customer (for warranty issues) than an online company will. A dealer (bike shop) will usually get the ball rolling faster for warranty issues AND some shops offer some degree of maintenance included in the purchase.

If you buy it from a shop, you take it there for issues. If you buy it online, you have to find somewhere to take it for issues.

Many shops are willing to work with you a little on the price so shop around for the best deals (including online sellers) and use that as bargaining power at a shop.

Grego, Faust29, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Find last year's model and save a bunch of cash, especially if you haven't bought a bike in a long time. Last year/This year, the bikes really are not that different.

DBMX119, Sidewalk, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  4. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    You will save a grip of money buying direct from the bike manufacturer. The owner of Eminent told me the bike shops want 30% on each bike, so that is why they are so much more expensive at shops. I don't know if that was just his company or all bikes, but that is significant. I know Intense partners with some shops to handle warranty stuff, but I am not sure if other brands do the same.

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  5. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If you are confident in your wrenching or have a friend who is, online is the way to go. If you can find what you want. If only YT built an XXL Jeffsy...

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  6. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I pretty much buy all of my bikes online. And as @mtnbikej recommended above, other than the Ripmo all have been last years close-out model with a significant discount , 35%-40% off. I do all of my own wrenching so support from a LBS doesn’t concern me too much. I’ve seen a lot of e-mails from Comp Cyclist, Cambria Bike, or direct from Intense or Canyon with great discounts lately.

Faust29, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

This is what I was thinking also but my delimma is I haven’t been able to find a bike shop to trust in many different aspects, it’s time for me I guess to start working more on my own stuff and use u tube to do it. I am a Yeti loyal and all Yeti dealers have left my area for different reasons, so that leaves me to travel a significant distances to get work done.

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Anyone know if Yeti offers a warrenty on there frame regardless of where you buy it?

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Thanks! I’ll check these sites out.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Check their websites for a list of dealers. I doubt that they would honor a warranty from a seller who is not am authorized dealer, be it a shop or online.

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Santa Cruz offers lifetime on frame and suspension bearings.
    If you are interested in a killer deal on Santa Cruz... PM me...:ninja:

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    If you really want a deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy used especially these days when everyone seems to get a new bike every year. I've bought most of mine second had and had few problems. Sure you take on some risk buying used but if you can check the bike out in person you should be pretty safe.

14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    #1 way to save money and get a great bike is buy used on Pinkbike. I've done it several times with no issues. Just recently bought a Santa Cruz Reserve wheelset and saved $400+ taxes. #2 way to save is to buy direct from a manufacturer such as Intense, Canyon, YT or Commencal. I bought my last bike, an Intense Tracer that way and saved about $1900 vs equally equipped competitor models. Aa somebody said, Intense works with a dealer network if that concerns you. #3 is to go to an online retailer such as Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, etc...many people don't know this but if you call them directly and aren't looking for the newest, hottest bike, their reps are allowed to do a deal for you. I'm trying to convince myself to do just that this week.

Down here in San Diego, I've never heard of a dealer refusing to help you out just because you bought the bike somewhere else. Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach helped me out on a warranty claim with Pivot and I had never been in their shop before.

15. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I agree, but I don’t have much time, this is a spur of the moment decision, and I believe it would take time to find what I want, I do know with the money saved you can change to the components you might like, but again there is a time factor. My first Yeti was used and it suited me fine.

16. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes this is what the bomb told me, and Jensen will match any price out there, and they are more local for me instead of out of state. With the potential money saved it seems to have litte barring on where to take the bike to be fixed.

17. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Thanks Mikie but I think I am staying Yeti loyal, the suspension seems to work for me. Seems the 2019 Yeti is now offering the life time warranty.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

If you are looking for Yeti, then I highly recommend looking for a 2017/2018......at a fraction of the cost. Check Jenson/Backcountry for blowouts. Prices on the current Yeti's are insane.

20. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    That new Yeti SB130 would be a great "one bike" if you're a 29er fan. You're unlikely to get any discounts anywhere on the planet though because I expect them to sell out at many shops. I know there's a new shop in Murietta that claims they have two in stock. They posted on the Yeti Cycles Facebook page. If you're looking for a 2018 model, Jenson and a few other retailers are offering 15% off now. Historically speaking, the discount keeps going up in 5% clicks as time goes on. I purchased my last SB5C frame for 30% off at the end of the year.

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    You can try bikeco.com
    They are yeti, evil, ibis, alchemy dealer.
    They are local here in OC and a high quality shop and will change anything you want on the bikes.
    I get their emails with great info on tuning and skills.

22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    There is a local shop here in Bakersfield, that is a Yeti dealer that sells below MSRP. You can call them and see what they have. Shop is called Team Factory Cycles. There is also a Yeti on Pinkbike from a local rider. Pretty nice setup.

23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    + on buying a lightly used bike Doug! I know you work hard for your$$$! Bought my recent bike on pinkbike.
    I think you should demo some bikes to try out some new/different technology since you'll probably hold onto the bike for a while (kinda like I do). Then you'll know what you like/don't like, and feel confident about whatever purchase you make. It's Fun looking and shopping:thumbsup::)

24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

You ain’t kidding! My head is reeling!

25. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  26. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
  28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Ya, I kinda thought $3800 was high for a 2 year old bike...

29. Diytypeofguy

Diytypeofguy Member

Name:
    Henry Sanchez
    Current Bike:
    Epic HT
    I’ve been seeing a lot of very nice, hardly ridden MTBs on offerup and craigslist as of late.. like the purple bricks commercial says, you could save thousands lol.

-Henry

30. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Lots of good info here... hopefully this winter i can +1 my n

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?