Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Kioti said:
    "Well, we've got the right to be there. Or should I say privilege. It's in the original plan. Along with the option of adding trails, like has happened with Lizard, Mentally Sensitive and Car Wreck. Not saying we can't blow it.. but how 'bout we give peace a chance?"

And I'm saying don't acquiesce to the original "plan." There is no wilderness in Orange County any more. Let's face it, let's be clear about it, and let's not let that drive the discussion. So the only remaining point of contention is who gets to access the parks we all pay to have.

Boston Tea Party. Whiskey Rebellion. War of Northern Agression.

Admittedly some were more successful than others, but you get the drift.

Edit: I admit to missing this earlier - Privelege? I'm forced to contribute to the upkeep and it's a privilege to access it? I beg to differ.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Dude, the border is wide open for departure.

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Dude. If I thought trail building on public property was a self-evident human right, I’d be right there with you. But nah.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I was at work!!!!

Nice job. And I am absolutely not in any way jealous of your upcoming road trip. Nope. Canada is stupid. No riding up there.

LLPoolJ, Mikie, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    For the record, it's not quite as self congratulatory as you might think. His real full name is Moassuam, or something very similar (sorry Mo, if I butchered it).

Mikie and kioti like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Don't motorcycle riders pay taxes too?

7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I doubt that anyone is holding their breath to hear my thoughts on Mo’s vid.
    Yet!
    I’m going to...
    For me I would struggle with any criticism, whether it’s perceptible myopia toward any user group, or reading a script. The fact that the kid was big enough.. for one, to listen and learn from a meeting with the OC Park Rangers, and had the cojones to share what I perceived as a well thought out narration on a tough subject, to take a stand, and draw a line in the sand for his own personal trail consumption in effort to set an example certainly receives my respect.

I would love it if the other kid would do the same. Has anybody reached out to him?

I would hate to see us spin circles on negotiation versus hostile take over. The stage is set to work with authorities, so the right thing to do is rally all and join a Trail Advocacy group we best feel will bring their organized best to the table and support them in making smart moves of negotiation.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Just so those who are encouraging pitchforks and torches understand the diplomacy approach a wee bit more...

Civil disobedience is only effective and justified to stand up for fundamental human rights in the face of a great injustice. Mt. biking in a county park is not a civil right. As for the "I'm a taxpayer, thus I have a right to ___________ " that's a pretty low-grade argument for why a privilege is suddenly a right. As I alluded to, motorcyclists pay taxes, so do they too have a fundamental right to ride their chosen equipment on County trails?

By the same logic, we should be able to jump in a police cruiser and use it for our own transportation, since our taxes paid for it. I've had parents use the "I'm a taxpayer. I pay your salary" argument as a reason I should ignore consequences for egregious behavior.

Paying taxes doesn't entitle a person to do as he/she pleases with anything the taxes have helped to fund.

9. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Well said.

10. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    yup

Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

People that use that argument have an inflated sense of entitlement.

12. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    You seem hung up on the word "wilderness" in the park name. Just because the area doesnt meet your stringent requirements to be considerd a true "wilderness" doesnt mean "well F*** it then, might as well give up and turn it into an amusement park or whatever." It simply means it's management focus is on habitat and natural resources conservation as best they can. I for one really like having the open space surrounding where I live still be at least quasi-wilderness, even if i cant ride my bike wherever i please in it. And i pay taxes too, and my wifes family directly did decades ago when laguna beach residents voted to increase their property taxes to pay for the laguna greenbelt (brownbelt?:))
    Yes, privelege, Which I do believe we should fight for, but not in the way you describe, which would surely cause mtb'ers to lose access. Realistically, Its just not big enough of a social issue for there to be some kind of political revolution over it, lets save that for bigger issues. There are many things we pay taxes for and cant directly control with our personal whims, because otherwise everything would be utter mayhem. . Similarly, driving a car is a privilege, not a right, even though we pay taxes for roads. A privilege which most enjoy, but.. Cant obey the driving laws and rive responsibly, or drive where theres no road? license yanked.
    It may be a basic human right to access the park, bringing a bicicyle might be the privilege.

Mikie, herzalot, MattB and 4 others like this.
  13. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    You arent seriously equating the issue of mountain biking in county parks with institutionalized racism, are you?

14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    You can use the police as your personal Uber service, but they usually have a fixed destination in mind for you.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No. That wasn't the point at all. Never mind.

Grassblade23, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  16. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Awesome, Mo. Very positive.

Mikie, herzalot, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  17. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    One of the first things the park should do is work on some kind of better legal access to the top of 5 oaks, which is probably one of the more popular challenging legal trails. HAB'ing up the trail itself which is the only legal access but awkward and kinda dangerous when its busy.

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    5 Oaks is definitely not the most popular legal trail. I would bet that distinction lies with Rock-It, Cholla and the other trails that can be accessed from the main fire-road. However, for a trail with no legal access from the top, 5-O sure does see a lot of traffic (myself included - but I only hike up the trail to get there ;))!

The trail behind the houses is not authorized access - and it's falling off the hillside from all of the people not using it. The gated community is certainly not authorized access, and their super secret gate code and signage has been extremely effective :whistling:. The water district road is not authorized access - so yes, hiking the trail is the only legal access. I think it's best to remain quiet about access from the top, lest they decide to pull 5-O off the menu for that very reason.

19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    O
    Yeah, you’re right that’s probably wise. I edited my post. I only hab up the trail itself, so was just looking for current info and makinga suggestion. Thanks!

20. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I lead the path shop ride through aliso saturday morning. It was a gorgeous morning to be out on the bike, lots of folks out there on bikes and lots of hikers. The buzz about the rangers started before we even left the car. That trend continued all morning as every time we stopped the discussion of illegal trails and the rangers actions were the topic of the day.

I was pretty impressed with the level of discussion and how civil it was. Just about every mountain bike group we encountered understood and agreed that this is not a surprise with how things were going in laguna. Everyone understood that while we don't agree with the outcome, the rangers don't really want to sit there writing tickets any more then we wanted to receive them.

Another interesting thing is that I ran into far more of the seasoned og laguna riders this last saturday then I usually see on weekends. Typically I see these guys on week days. Either way, it was interesting to talk to those guys and get their take on the current laguna issues.

Overall a good day. Many great interactions with hikers and other bikers and rangers alike.

21. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Tryouts and a process of elimination is the way to go. If you clean the climb from behind the houses, you should get to proceed. If you don’t make the climb, turn around and go ride elsewhere. Bicycles with motors are not eligible.

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Aliso has been ticketing ... and the eBikers have already found their way around it. I know one of the people with one of these loopholes, and she is hardly anyone's definition of handicapped or disabled. They will get us all banned, just a matter of time.

Screenshot_20180918-222847_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20180918-222831_Facebook.jpg

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Do explain.

24. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Wait.. I thought it was posted on this site recently that a disabled placard did NOT give the legal right to ride an ebike in oc parks?

kioti and Faust29 like this.
  25. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Explain what? The parks have been ticketing eBikes and they now have their own FB group with specific instructions on their FB page on how to ride OC Parks "legally". Parks best option ... Ban all bikes, problem solved.

Screenshot_20180918-224815_Facebook.jpg

Cyclotourist and Rumpled like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

"and the eBikers have already found their way around it. I know one of the people with one of these loopholes,"

Cyclotourist likes this.
  27. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I do not know, but per the posts tonight in SOCMTBR and the eBike advocacy FB page ... it is working. The advocacy page even has step by step instructions on how to ride there without getting ticketed .

Cyclotourist likes this.
  28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    She has a placard, somehow ... and she showed it to the ranger and he let her go on her way. Her story, I was not there.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    If they have a placard......unfortunately, they are legal.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  30. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Then we will all need a placard and an eBike pretty soon if we want to keep riding, I guess. Placards are apparently very easy to get in California.

Cyclotourist, kioti and Rumpled like this.