The weather no one is telling you about...

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Aug 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Not sure what the deal is, but our weather forecasters / reporters are asleep.

I'm sure many of you have noticed how warm and humid it has been this year, and saw the notice of July being the hottest month ever recorded in the history of California.

It is not so much due to the daily HIGHS being that hot... it is the daily LOWS that are running anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees warmer than normal, with much higher humidity than average. I have definitely noticed this because I usually bike at dawn to avoid the heat - and I walk outside at 5:30 and the temps are already 70+ (even when the craptastic weather forecast tells us it is going to get down to 64).

Well at least some of it is due to ocean temps breaking records. The Pacific Ocean is warmer than it has ever been in many places along the coast. Earlier this month it was almost 80 degrees (!) down in San Diego.

Why isn't anyone talking about this?

Sidewalk, hill^billy, konakc and 7 others like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Because it's fake news, obviously? :cautious:

There's been lots of talk about ocean temps down here. They did go above 80. Hadn't heard so much about low temps not being as low, but that shouldn't be a surprise when high temps are higher.

hill^billy, mike, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    ?
    That’s all anyone is talking about where I am. It was a hot July.

NWS says there’s a good chance of an El Niño winter by the way. So prepare for drama.

hill^billy, LLPoolJ, mike and 4 others like this.
  4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Theres an unusually warm plume of seawater in the southern california bight, but its not the entire pacific. North of point conception, and in the north central pacific, the water is cooler than average. Its crazy, I live in Laguna Beach 2 blocks from the ocean and up until a few days ago it was WARMER at the immediate coast than inland. Usually its the opposite
    https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/anomwnw.gif.
    '

hill^billy, mike, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It's Global Warming!
    :eek:We are all going to die!!!!!!

(eventually :sneaky:)

6. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    This persistent plume of warm water offshore in socal is unprecedented.

hill^billy, mike, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Is this near channel islands? Hopefully it doesn't linger long enough to have a damaging effect on the kelp forests.

8. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Yes

9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I saw a weatherman make the argument that we actually have the possibility of a hurricane this year if the ocean does not cool. I will believe that when I see it.

Danmtchl, hill^billy, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Not talking about it? That's almost all I've been talking about for the past 7 weeks - warmer than normal ocean water and too hot to ride. Great for surfing, probably bad for us in the near future.

Danmtchl, hill^billy, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I think that’s a stretch

Danmtchl, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Particularly when you watch a right-now hurricane fade out as it nears Hawaii.:rolleyes:

Which is just a tad south of us.

13. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    Maybe with warmer weather and higher humidity, California won't look so good to those wanting to move here...not that we're overcrowded or anything. :p

kioti, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 5 others like this.
  14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Actually, Scripps recorded a temp of 83.1 F. That's freaking tropical. Broke the highest ever recorded in 100 + years.
    I have definitely noticed the high lows.
    One of the benefits of living in SoCal is that it generally cools off at night.
    It hasn't really this summer. I can't sleep above 70 degrees, and usually I can open windows at night and be cool.
    I have rarely opened my windows this summer.
    Our AC is working really hard.

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yep, higher low temps and humidity. One could be forgiven, given the recent and fairly usual (not a typo) drought, for thinking summer monsoonal moisture is not normal for socal. But it is, which is why there's a name for it.

Higher nighttime temps are bothersome. We need to do something about that.

Danmtchl, Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    U old timers remember the water crossings at chino. Carbon canyon? And even at the oaks? I rarely see water even in winter spring...
    Tell me im wrong but i cant remember the last time i got wet at telegraph..at least 7 years?

17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I remember 10 plus years ago it was common to get wet at the oaks.. bottom of chutes.. at irvine park portn..roadrunner loop..then crossing the creek bed..

Danmtchl, Mikie and BonsaiNut like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Used to be a spring on the climb out of Strawberry Potrero. Signed and potable.
    Been dried up for years now...

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Really? EVERYONE is talking about this. It's all over the weather reports on multiple channels up here in L.A.

Perhaps it's an OC conspiracy thing.

We are certainly feeling it up here as well, even worse than OC, in fact because it's usually hotter up here in the hills which block the sea breeze. My electric bill in the Summer is usually $200-$300. I have no doubt that it will be in excess of $400 and maybe even $500 this period.

That said, temps are actually below normal now and they will stay that way for a spell.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Of course we all are going to die,....eventually, in due time. :rolleyes:

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is the first year in a while when more people actually left Cali than came. So yeah, maybe it's the humidity.

But the humidity is up all over the SW. My friend in Tucson is having a long and heavy monsoon season. It has rained in the afternoon almost every day for weeks. You ought to see how the streets turn into rivers down there when the downpours start up. I told him to send some of that precip out here.

22. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    After my ride this morning in the Santa Anas, it became clear that the ocean is actually keeping things WARMER by the coast this summer - the opposite of normal.

In my driveway at 6:00AM it was 69. As I headed towards the mountains the temps fell. At the Tree Farm it was 61. Halfway up Black Star it was 57.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's also creating a dense marine layer. It's been happening since the temps dropped.

May grey/June gloom in August?! o_O

Mikie, Danmtchl and BonsaiNut like this.
  24. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sounds like we are in for a hell of a winter! And for me personally, I have always thought that a hurricane will some day track up the Gulf of Mexico and of course weaken, but the remnents of it flood the low laying areas of S California, would just take the right set up of highs and lows to set up the jet stream. But now with this alarming thread with the ocean temps and you all actually noticing it affecting the weather, than the possibility of a hurricane seems plausible.

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    We don't need to only worry about East Coast hurricanes. Hurricanes from the Pacific are an uncommon, but not unknown phenomenon. The cool water is usually a factor in getting them to weaken before they make landfall... but with no cool ocean water...

The rainfall record for Los Angeles dates from a 1939 hurricane that killed over 100 people with 50 mph winds and 12" of rain reported at Mount Wilson. For what it's worth, they are forecasting an unusually calm hurricane season for the Atlantic. Not so for the Pacific (just ask Hawaii).

List of California Hurricanes.

Eastern Pacific Hurricane Tracker.

26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Hurricanes die in water temps below 80 degrees so we will mever see a full force hurricane make landfall in So Cal unless there is an unusually strong El Nino and all the chips line up perfectly in a row. There was one of some category that hit us in the early 1900s though. And the 1983 El Nino was extremely destructive along our coastline. The odd thing is, we keep having a stronger El Nino than past strong ones but the footprint they leave is weaker and weaker.

BTW, So Cal water temps have already dropped into the low-mid 70s. The stronger onshore influence comes from the North. And that is cooler. Its able to influence us now because that nasty, strong high pressure system that has been parked over the SW all Summer has finally weakened and moved back to Texas. But the battle ain’t over yet. It’ll warm up, then cool down, then repeat until Fall finally settles in.

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    El Niño refers to the warming in the central and east-central Pacific, not eastern off California.

28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Actually it refers to the birth of Jesus - and the December storms that used to hit Northern Mexico around Christmastime.

It is only recently that our "weathermen" latched onto the phrase to use it to refer to something else. They even added in a nice little "la Nina" to refer to an opposite weather pattern. A female Christ child? Hmmm, weathermen, tell me more!

Pineapple Express. Bomb Cyclones. Super Storm Sandy. I guess they need it for the below 100 IQ crowd.

29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, but what is normal anymore?

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Not California. :eek::rolleyes::laugh:

Mikie, Danmtchl and hill^billy like this.