The "Snakes" Got Wrists

Discussion in 'Health' started by SnakeCharmer, Aug 20, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I second Fran the Man knowing what he is talking about. Listen to that man!

Speaking of @scan...
    I’m not sure why HE didn’t mention it, but did you try making some Tailwind paste and applying it? It “could” draw that evil out of that thumb and wrist... :geek::whistling:

Old&InTheWay, kioti, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Cool, can you go out in the yard and fetch one for me? :Roflmao

Old&InTheWay, kioti, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Sure, but with my skilz there won't be any venom left for you.

OTHRider, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Luis, Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :eek:

Mikie, mountaingirl sara and kioti like this.
  7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Chapter 2:

The pain is getting worse. I feel extreme pain in that hand at least once per ride, usually when I hit a g-out type bump at speed in a turn.

Riding hurts both hands, though. For the past several months, I have changed my hand positioning to resting the base of my palms on the bars while climbing. That brings me forward on the bike a bit and as a result, I find myself sliding all over the place on the saddle (and I can't seem to get comfortable). I need to compare reach measurements between my Remedy and my Jabber. It's not an issue on the Remedy and I can say for sure that the cockpit is smaller on that bike.

Q: If I need to shorten up the reach on the Jabber, do you guys suggest going with a slightly shorter stem, or sliding the saddle forward slightly? The stem on it currently is a 50mm. The saddle is slightly more back than forward. I'm thinking I should try a slightly shorter stem because I do not want to be any more forward on the bike than I am in my climbing position.

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I say saddle position before stem length. If you feel the saddle is right for height and fore aft position (mostly to protect your knees) then adjust your stem length.

9. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Same saddle on both bikes? If not, swap out and see if that's a difference. Also maybe angle the nose down a smidge to keep you forward?

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Same exact saddle on every bike I own. Thanks.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Lobster claw seat, Ergo grips and bar ends.

Ok, on a serious note as you know I battle bad arthritis and have some gnarly knuckles to show for it and I have seen some reduced pain and flare up occurrences with some natural remedies.

I start most days with a fresh juice with greens (celery, kale, apple, lime) and beets and ginger for inflammation. Then later in the morning I drink a dandelion root tea and I also take fiber on top of trying to eat lots of fiber in general. Limiting red meat has helped me as well, basically getting inflammation down is key and diet is obviously a huge factor.

Where damage is already done and pain is nearly constant I use CBD oil and it helps for sure. I won’t take meds like ibuprofen (or stronger like many docs want to give out) long term so I use them sparingly and am able to keep most painful flare ups at bay with the oil alone.

TL;DR Eat/drink ginger and get some CBD oil

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks for the suggestions. More and more folks I know are using CBD oil and they all receive relief from it. How long does one application work for you? My friends are saying a few hours at a time is what they get out of it. Where is it sold?

13. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    For me it gets rid of flare ups so I rarely have to reapply but I’d say a few hours for sure in general. You can get it all over the place these days, heck even from Mountain Bike Action. I’m sure you could just google a brick and mortar store near you. No THC in this stuff, my very conservative grandmother uses CBD.

B6B301BE-3C84-4F1B-B8CB-DF5FBF70C0B0.png

14. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm a believer!

CBDs have knocked out the life-long chronic headaches my wife gets by at least 70%. She takes around 5mg every four hours. For a real bad one, usually triggered by muscle strain in her back/neck she adds on about 3mg THC. CBDs knock down the inflammation & headaches, but THC deals with muscular pain. She doesn't use recreationally, and these relatively low doses work well without any psychoactive effects. In fact she hates the smell and taste tremendously. CBDs mostly work for me when I get a headache, but I get them much more rarely so don't have a ton of feedback on it's efficacy. It doesn't really get rid of the pain, and I know it's still there in the background, but it just doesn't bother me. We both consider this stuff voodoo magic, and are continually amazed at how well it works.

For pure CBD, Kushy Punch CBD is good: https://kushycbd.com/ We buy the squares and cut off what we need. If the low dose of 5mg doesn't do anything, double to 10, then 20. You can buy it at pretty much any dispensary, and pure CBD product is available mail-order as it is not a controlled substance. If you need higher doses, they have the softgels.

If you want to try adding some THC to it, count your blessings you live in CA and consider the Care By Design oils: https://www.cbd.org/products
    I had to experiment a bit to find the right ratios for us, and their different formulas work great for that. I now make my own 20:1 oil, and it is much less expensive. But you kind of need to put the time and money out and see what works. We went through several different oils before settling on Care By's, and then it was figuring out the ratios.

If you're in OC, People's in Santana has it all, and good prices: https://peoplesorangecounty.com/menu/

FYI, we just just purchased some of CBD's 1:1 topical that seems to work amazingly on muscle pain:
    https://www.cbd.org/products/creams/1-1-cream Very pricey, but hey, if it works...

mike, HBkites and mountaingirl sara like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks! Great info!

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  16. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  18. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    So it's not available in my local drugstore? similar item?

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Probably not, but maybe.

HBkites and mountaingirl sara like this.
  20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I know Lassens markets carry a decent variety of CBD products, including topical

HBkites likes this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for logging that info here, David. :thumbsup:

22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The stuff works, pretty amazing IMHO.

23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Those of you using CBD, are you mostly using topical? Within the last year I got diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis, and was put on a daily dose of a couple heavy duty meds that I really don't want to take long term. Have tried a couple different CBDs in tincture form (including the Floyd's above) in hopes of help with inflammation, but results have been nominal if anything at all. Would try topical if it's more effective, though I'd probably need a gallon jug of it. Diet and supplements are tailored towards inflammation fighting, but nothing seems to provide any meaningful relief other than the meds.

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I mentioned it above, but my wife uses this topical: https://www.cbd.org/products/creams/1-1-cream
    1:1 mixture, so you have to go to a dispensary to get it. For muscle pain, it works great.

25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis! I’ve used topical for my knee injury and it can help some, but it’s best used in conjunction with oral. You just have to play with the ratios until you get it dialed in. Also, my husband had some bursitis in his elbow (inflammation), and doing The Whole 30 did the trick to knock that down!

Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  26. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Pay close attention guys - TEST to follow.

27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Sorry, TMI?!

CBone likes this.
  28. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Chapter 3:

Still hurting. I won a sampler CBD oil muscle rub tin (Quanta) at the MWBA Pancake Breakfast. It's 150mg strength and I have tried it a few times now with zero improvement in the pain category. Perhaps I need the 300mg strength stuff and maybe some THC mixed in.

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Update on this, that may or may not be of use to @SnakeCharmer and/or others. I really dug in deep on ways to fight inflammation without meds around the time of the above post. One of the things that I found really compelling info on was the beneficial effects of various forms of fasting on inflammation markers through autophagy. Basically when your body is in the fasted state it starts scavenging unhealthy cells, taking what it can use, and then flushing those cells out. Growth hormones are then activated and replace the unhealthy cells with new healthy ones. Time restricted eating (aka intermittent fasting) is purportedly a good vehicle for this. More profound autophagy is achieved in prolonged 3-5 day water fasts (probably not done more than quarterly). @SnakeCharmer , one reason I thought of you on this is a recent podcast I heard between Tom Bilyeu and Dr. Peter Attia (I can't remember who was on whose podcast) where Tom was talking about chronic profound wrist pain that he'd had for a long time, that disappeared at around the 3 day mark into a fast. For myself, the Reactive Arthritis that I referenced above (shortly after the post above the doc said he thought it was more likely Seronegative RA) caused constant inflammation in my S.I. joint that was easily aggravated, along with neck, shoulder, elbow, and hip pain. The shoulder turned out to be torn, which has been repaired, and the neck pain has proven to be more of an injury/mechanical deficiency issue than a systemic inflammation issue. I've been doing 16/8 time restricted eating religiously for the last 5-6 months. One study indicated that doing it 5 days a week provides essentially the same benefits as doing it everyday, so on days when I'm going to ride early I break my fast early on those days. I am completely off of all prescription meds, and am virtually pain free everywhere except my neck. I only occasionally take ibuprofen as needed specifically for my neck, though I seem to be rounding a corner on that as well. Anyway, the science on fasting to treat inflammation and autoimmune issues is really compelling. Might be worth checking into. I do take a daily CBD capsule, and use the topical oil on my neck, but I feel like the benefit I get from those, at least as far as pain goes, is minimal at best.

Derkderkall, Luis, Redman and 6 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A frustrating situation, Mike. I think an overuse injury with have a difficult time mending itself without changes.

Grips with a generous platform? (Ergon, etc.) Bar tape? Handlebar sweep? Are you using ice and heat?