Wheel Tales Bike Tours

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Cyclotourist, Aug 7, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My buddy here in Redlands, Mark Friis, runs a small bike tour company https://www.wheeltales.com/
    The tours are really great, and he goes out of his way to provide a great experience while keeping the costs down. He has three tours coming up this fall, and all look fantastic! But the Sedona one in particular looks like it would be perfect for a quick getaway before Thanksgiving: https://www.wheeltales.com/sedona-mtb-weekend

I'm toying around with the idea of going, but also wanted to throw it out to all y'all. Whether you are interested in the Sedona one, the other fall trips, or future trips, read up on his trips and style and see if they look good to you!

No affiliation with the company, but I know Mark and want to help him any way I can!

2. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Awesome! Way to shout it out for him. :thumbsup:

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looks like fun...

@scan - It says November 17-20.

5. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I’m trying not to over think this, but if no transportation or guiding is included, how is this different then going on your own.

I see that they offer two rides a day aren’t those ride with a ride leader?

I never been on an organized tour. I’m genuinely curious.

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    The paragraph that gives the details just has Nov 17

7. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I thought the same thing. Any more info on that? @Cyclotourist

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    The pricing says Accommodations, Breakfast & Dinner are included with those Morning & Afternoon rides. So if you choose the tent for $130, you're getting a "camping spot" and the meals. Not terrible for $130 I guess.

I've taken organized tours when I've gone somewhere I've never been and while the cost may seem high at first, if you priced out all that you get, it's not too bad and much less stressful with no chance of getting lost. For example, last year I went with Chasing Epic on a 4 day Crested Butte tour. For $1250, we had 3 nights of lodging right in the upper village at a resort where rooms rent for $350 a night, a made to order breakfast of our choosing in the hotel restaurant, supplies to make our own lunch to carry if we chose, dinners in town at a restaurant where we ordered off the menu (every other tour I've done has the guides make the food and hopefully it's something you'll eat), 2 guides + the company owner taking photos on every ride and a current year top of the line rental bike. Those costs separately would have been $525 for lodging, $300+ for the bike for 4 days, $400+ for the guides = $1225 and that doesn't include any of the food, free socks, free pint glass, one time $50 gift card to Worldwide Cyclery and a code for 10% forever....and 10% off on all future trips.

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    It's the 17-20th, looks like he had a typo above the paragraph. It's a little hard to explain, and I want to do it justice, but the idea is to get people into new places with minimal stress for them. He takes the hassle of finding a spot, figuring out food, and local trail knowledge. There are tours that do a lot more for you, and you can go camping on your own pretty easily. He tries to get somewhere in the middle. And don't forget if you were in a regional park sort of a campground and not BLM land or dispersed forest camping, you're going to be paying $25 a night on average. I would also say that the ideal clients (is that the right word) would also be pretty outgoing and not mind the communal feel of it. Sorta' like the youth hostel version of travel, in that it's between camping and a hotel, but there are other people in the space. But most are pretty nice Kiwis, so there's that.

Here's his IG to get a better look at some of the past tours: https://www.instagram.com/dropbarslife/

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Gotcha

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for the info, David :thumbsup:

12. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    We did a similar style tour in the UK last year. The guide handled our bike rentals, lodging and gave us the GPS tracks for three days of riding. We were on our own for the rides and meals. It worked out perfectly. All we had to do was get there on the train and the guide picked us up with our bicycles and took us to the hotel. He gave us a bunch of local intel on where to stop, eat etc. It was nice to not have to worry about the logistics and just enjoy the riding.

13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's pretty much his normal model if you look at the other tours. I think it's a great way to see the world! I think he uses more houses like AirBnB style, but don't quote me on that. The Sedona one is more unique in that it's just based out of a single location rather than changing night to night. His whole idea is to have fun, and do trips that he wants to do! He's out there riding a lot of it with everyone if he's not driving the a van.

kioti, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Let me simplify my question, are the rides predetermined and with a guide or are you on your own?

Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Seems to me yes.

mike and doublewide like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    When you get to a fork in the road, take it. :geek:

kioti and LLPoolJ like this.
  17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Use it to chow with later.

kioti, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    You would need to contact Mark to be sure, but I think they suggest some routes, transport you to/from the trail head, and the rest is up to you.

HBkites likes this.