Trail Guide - First Ride San Juan Shuttle

Discussion in 'Videos' started by deocguy, Aug 6, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    We took few friends from West Covina, LA and San Diego to ride San Juan for the first time. They are so stoked!

We had 12 riders of new and old friends. Shuttle wasn't that easy coz we weren't able to get in to Lower SJT due to huge tree was blocking the road.

All in all, we had a great time!

I hope you guys enjoy the video

Happy trail! ☺️

~JB~, Dirtrider...., mike and 10 others like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Glad you guys had fun and no injuries! :thumbsup:

42 minutes is loooong. I skipped around.

3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    We just might be doing the same this weekend with these high temps. For anybody that likes riding down the SJT, do yourself a favor and spend a day with Mt Wilson shuttles. Finishing your day on a 12 mile DH run of Mt Lowe, Middle Merrill and Sunset Ridge will blow your mind.

herzalot, konakc, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU!

Shuttle wasn’t that easy...LOL!!!!!!!!! :laugh::bang::thumbsup:

mtnbikej likes this.
  5. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    And don’t forget to use a bell! Pleeeze!

Faust29, mike, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  6. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    nice video... this trail is on my must ride list. hoping to get up there soon if the fire doesnt take it first.

mike likes this.
  7. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I always do on fast trails like these with blind corners. I get told "thank you for using a bell" by multiple people on every ride up there. Many people complain about the hikers but 98% of them have already moved aside long before I see them because they hear that bell coming :D

Faust29, mike, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I have to agree.. mt wilson is pretty awesome...

mtbMike, mike and Luis like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    San juan feels like two distinct sections..while mt wilson just takes u on varied single tracks that seem to last forever...

mtbMike, mike and herzalot like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I personally don't think SJT should be shuttled. It's not a terribly difficult climb, and that's from someone who hates to climb. I'm not a fan of shuttling crowded, two-way, multi-use trails for the sake of a DH run. Shuttling a point-to-point like Palm Canyon or Kokopelli is essential, and does not pit DHers against hikers and other riders. Shuttling pure DH runs like Telonics or Skidmarx also makes sense, and does not create a conflict for trail users (except anyone disoriented enough to hike a designated DH mtb trail).

That said, if the DH shuttlers are respectful and don't dress like stormtroopers, they would be indistinguishable from a rider who just turned around to ride down. There is no need for a DH bike, full face, goggles and full body armor for a ride down San Juan.

Be cool to others out there my brothers and sisters! And for deity's sake, use an awareness bell. It's amazing how they calm the jittery nerves of hikers who are typically off the trail by the time you even see them! :thumbsup:

11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I've never seen anybody riding SJT in a full face or on a DH bike but we only ride it 3-4 times a year. We climb when it's cooler but shuttle when people are short on time or it's crazy hot. For the 1st several years we rode it, I didn't even know you *could* shuttle it. Oh and @Sidewalk would disagree that shuttling Palm Canyon is a "necessity" ;)

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My first 5 or 6 times down it, I neither climbed it nor shuttled it. :whistling:

I've seen the occasional full face helmet out there. I don't think I've ever seen a DH bike, though... But I have seen DH bikes at the luge! And more recently, e-bikes galore.

herzalot, mtbMike and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I guess it's all that OC money. I've seen a total of maybe 6-7 e-bikes total on trails and (4) of them were being PUSHED up the SJT on two different rides up there. With SJT technically being National Forest, shouldn't e-bikes be illegal there?

herzalot, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good common sense, TFPU. Sadly, lost on the entitled.

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yes they are..:.but that didn’t stop the 3 guys on their Haibikes riding you Lower Holy Jim on Sunday.

herzalot, Faust29 and mike like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    We climbed San juan to blue jay. Beautiful day... nice temps.. started early to avoid the downhillers. we got to Bluejay. got some water at the campsite. then met a downhiller w/ big bike eating a big fat burrito.. he said he was gonna drop down after....

herzalot, mike and Faust29 like this.
  17. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    I agreed. It's intentionally made for anyone who hasn't been there at all.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?