2019 Pivot Mach 429 Trail

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by AKAKTM, Aug 2, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Demoed a new 429 Trail for a couple of days and 30 miles or so in Park City. Good bike. Hit me up if you want a review. One deal breaker for me is the 157mm rear hub standard.

Overall a fun bike similar to a Ripley LS V3, but a little less playful.CF64498D-E95D-4520-B269-84CC8F0A5D76.jpeg 378EC3F0-1C63-444E-A142-DB393F6E6843.jpeg

B0B5A7D7-27C1-493D-B78E-EDCE0D002E04.jpeg

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I agree with the rear hub. Limited upgrade options and keeps me from swapping it among my other bikes.

3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I have the Pivot 429 trail from 2016??
    is the 2019 new?
    big difference btw 429 and 429 trail..
    good all around bike for OC... but realizing that there is no such thing as a great all around bike for OC...
    probably need two bikes... one for fast and one for comfort...

kioti, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  4. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Yes konakc. Yes, the new one is new in the usual ways--longer, lower, slacker.

kioti, herzalot, konakc and 2 others like this.
  5. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

There are two guys that I know of Tony, you and Scottay who change bikes like underware or socks? That has to be a nice luxury but, how and when do you ever get comfortable on the one, when there is no one? Or is there that secret weapon you pull out when you are competing with friends, or have kept longer than the others? BTW I know you had said it was a demo.

scan, kioti, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I've kinda' been looking at these, along w/ the 429sl Both seem like great bikes. I like the comparison to the Rip LS, helps give some perspective!

kioti, herzalot and Voodoo Tom like this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Built one today, as well a shuttleF537DF43-9A3A-4CC6-83AA-22068BE0F408.jpegEA31D14E-1FBD-4671-8E85-3CD8B87EF25F.jpeg

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Path?

9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    No, Action Sports in Bakersfield. We are getting a Switchblade and a Mach 5.5.

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    They were all called the Mach 429 (Trail or SL) until now. Yours is a Mach 429 Trail. They have now dropped the “Mach” from the model and it is a different bike.

Cyclotourist, mike and konakc like this.
  11. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Danmtchl, I’d love to do a long term demo on a Shuttle. Haven’t been able to find one to demo or buy at a great deal though.

Good point SnakeCharmer it is a 429 Trail (no Mach).

Doug, good point too. I do change often and it costs me some on downhill speed. I find that when I have and ride a bike for six months or a year, my speed and comfort picks up. I kept the Mojo 3 a long time and its still among the very favorite. A really excellent all around bike. Similar to the pivot 5.5 we (Parker) has now, but a little lighter, shorter length and more playful, albeit less stable at speed.

The Ripmo is really too big of a bike for how I ride and I fear it’ll encourage me to get in trouble. It just climbs so well and feels far better than expected in the tight. Unfortunately it steers and turns differently than the Tallboy 3 or Mojo 3 that I’m used to so I’m not that fast down on it when it gets twisty. I think I’ll adjust though.

Cyclotourist, kioti, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    So confusing...

13. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    That Shuttle was sold and I don't know if anyone has a demo model. We are charging it up tonight and dial it in tomorrow, and take it for a spin tomorrow. Will give you the very short term details.

14. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As are most things in life from my POV. :laugh:

Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Too bad the new 429 trail reviews are a bit muted.. not as fast climber ..ok downhill.tech..
    The old 429 trail pre 2018 is a good climber n good enough downhill for oc.la..
    Put in about 5000 miles 600k elevation on the pivot..still works great.. lots of chipped paint..

Cyclotourist, Voodoo Tom and Danmtchl like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The bike was initially the Mach 429 (al), then the Mach 429c became available, later the split to SL and Trail. I rode an alloy one a bunch and had a C briefly, my bro still has the al and loves it dearly.

PS: Agree, kc, good climbers.

17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I love my bike dearly but forget what it is called

18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Did someone say chipped paint, sounds like my Ripley. It's not long or low or slack but I don't care it still gets it done. Gave up worrying about the paint on this bike a long time ago. Lots of good memories on this rig.
    IMG_7695.jpg

Danimal, doublewide, mike and 10 others like this.
  19. akmoney

akmoney Member

Name:
    Andrew
    I was in the market for a new bike and demo'd the 429 Trail a couple weeks ago. I was cross shopping it against the Tallboy (V3) and the Ripley LS. The trails I demo'd were at LCWP (Lizard and Old Emerald for the descents and plenty of climbing up Emerald Canyon).

Keep in mind, my daily driver (up until now) was a Tallboy (V1) so I was used to something considerably less slack. I'm pretty far from being able to extract the most out of these bikes but my impression of the 429 Trail was that it felt a little slow and clumsy in ordinary riding. I also noticed the rear wheel liked to lock up under downhill braking a lot more than my bike did. I wasn't sure if this was because of the DW-Link suspension or the tire choice of the demo bike (Maxxis Rekon). That being said, I also thought the bike was a pretty decent climber, especially given the slacker geometry. The front wheel didn't have a big tendency to lift, especially compared to my older Ibis Mojo (2008).

As a data point, I demo'd the Tallboy (V3) a week prior to demoing the Pivot. The TB felt more nimble but just as playful, especially on Lizard. It also didn't lock up the rear wheel on braking as easily. I bonded with the Tallboy more quickly than I did the 429 Trail.

In the end, I bought the Tallboy. The two bikes were very similar but at this price point, you gotta love it. I admit I never gave the Ripley LS a chance.

mike, bvader, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Good review, thanks for the data points!!!

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  21. akmoney

akmoney Member

Name:
    Andrew
    BTW - not that I'm a shill or anything - If anyone's interested in the *older* Pivot (the Mach 429 Trail, not this newest one without the "Mach"), Competitive Cyclist has them at a pretty good sale price. Don't forget to book the order via one of the airline point portals first - 3 miles/$ from Southwest or Alaska!

DangerDirtyD, mike, bvader and 2 others like this.
  22. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    The older one is an awesome bike.. perfect trail bike for all of oc.. good climber yet can still handle chutes. T n a rattlesnake... w.o breakin ur back..
    Does well in the santa anas.. up holy jim n down trabuco...

Danmtchl, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  23. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    wow, is that normal for Ibis paint jobs?

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer's blue Ripley did the same thing. I swear I sneezed on it and have to paint came off!

25. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    This blue is such a good looking color but chips super easy. Admittedly I have beat there ever-loving crap out of it. I think most Ibis paint holds up better than this particular blue color color but not as good as many other manufactures. My bright mango Hightower has seen an even rougher life than the blue Ripley and while it has a couple of blemishes it doesn't look anywhere near that bad.

26. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    wow, discouraging. The new Ripley was at the top of my list to check out. Ya my Tallboy paint is pretty much perfect, except for a few chips near the pivot which aren't even visible unless you remove the tire.

27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I think you should still take a look...

Danmtchl likes this.
  28. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ya if it matches the initial hype I may have to put up with the paint. On another forum someone was building one up and he was pretty bummed with the quality of the frame manufacturing. Surprised on both of these issues as I always thought of Ibis as a premium niche brand.

Danmtchl, UPSed, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer's Mojo has seen twice the action of her Ripley already and there's not a mark on it. Maybe just something with that particular run of blue?

Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  30. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    ok good to hear that. Thanks for the additional info.

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?