GPS Units for Exploration

Discussion in 'Computers/GPS SYstems' started by Mikie, Jul 10, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't done much with this, but it's out there also... I just downloaded the entire Mount Pinos area to the phone in a little over 300 MB. The maps are temporary, and expire after one month, but it's an option.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=iOS&hl=en

OTHRider, Mikie and evdog like this.
  2. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Here's the answer for Trailforks - basemap download not available right now.

upload_2018-7-10_22-33-9.png

3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Gaia looks promising - does have the ability to download maps, though likely just map tiles for specific areas rather than whole states

https://www.gaiagps.com/member/
    https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/

Premium has access to maps that could be very useful - property boundary/public lands. Trailforks has a land owner layer too but I've never found a legend for it, so outside National Forest and BLM its hard to tell who owns what.

4. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  5. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Hey @Mikie , my Social Media friend just put this out yesterday. Lotsa good info on the Gaia app.... Enjoy!

OTHRider and Mikie like this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've since upgraded to the 520 Plus. It has base maps and will route for you. I still need to replace the base map though with a better one, I don't like the Garmin base map. I did the same thing on my 800 with success. I just need to get my netbook out of storage so I can load it in (problem with being homeless).

Mikie likes this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Mark, When you say Social Media friend, are you talking about the guy in the video? He did an outstanding job. That was on very comprehensive video. Thanks Buddy, that was great! :thumbsup:

doublewide likes this.
  8. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Yes. He has a lot of friends tho....LOL

He does great vids, I love his channel on the YouTube. His 4Runner and his adventures are my Spirit Animal!

Mikie likes this.
  9. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    Nice video. I like the end where he shows how easily the layers overlap. Very impressive.

doublewide and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?