What's your favorite hydration pack?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by kazlx, Aug 1, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I have an old Camelback that's getting a little long in the tooth. Everything is starting to break, zippers and pulls, stitching coming apart, etc. I think it's time to get a new one. I usually get the 100oz but might just go minimalist this time, as even with extra stuff, it never even comes close to full. What's everyone like? I prefer a pack to bottles.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I prefer bottles, but when the ride calls for a pack, the Osprey Syncro is pretty comfortable. I use it with Camelbak bladders, though... The 100 oz fits nicely, as does the 50.

3. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I use the Osprey Raptor. I have the 10 for everyday ride and the 14 when I need extra space for a light jacket, pads, extra liquid, etc...I drink way too much water to get by with a bottle.

4. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Osprey is head and shoulders above anything else I've used (Camelbak, Dakine, Wingnut). Lightweight and comfortable and lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

Had a 4-year old pack split open parallel to a zipper, thought they might be able to repair it so I sent it in. They couldn't repair it, and sent me a brand new one for free. That pack owed me nothing and I actually felt bad to accept it knowing that nothing lasts forever.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    For packing bottles, Platypus is the way. Cylinders are not efficient shapes to pack.

I'd just fix the old pack if you like it. I have an old pack that is shredded, but I'm afraid that, as usual, models are updated in ways I don't like. I keep fixing it. Seams can easily be repaired by you or your neighborhood vendors. Patch fabric tears with SeamGrip and Gore-Tex or rip-stop patches. If you just want a new pack forget all that. Mine looks like hell, even fresh out of the laundry.

6. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I can keep using it, but it's two-fold. I feel like I want something smaller and more compact. I have my necessities down and still have a ton of extra space, so thinking of something a bit more compact and maybe a bit better ventilation.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I can dig wanting to minimize. But one thing that's annoying to me is a pack that's stuffed so full you have to remove everything to get anything. Is a 14l pack really that much cooler than a 18l pack? I guess that's up to you. I'd rather have some room for seasonal adjustments and not carry a ball on my back. A pack is armor, too. I've landed on my back a few times and been glad to have more than minimalism there.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Had Camelbaks for years and years then tried an Osprey and never looked back. I'm using the Raptor model.

9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have an "Outdoor Products" and an Osprey Skarab 32. Can't really see any difference between them; compartments are the same size and storage capacity is identical. Never used either one as a hydration pack, though - I can carry at least 2 bottles on every bike and I am part camel to boot. Both packs have been/are used to carry work clothes while commuting.

Both bladders appear to work the same way.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I like all of my packs for different reasons:

Camelback Volt (just like @Mikie's) is my go-to pack. I love the fact that it carries the water low without looking or feeling like a fanny pack. Smart compartments - tools and snacks accessible without taking the pack off, slot for arm guards, room inside for extra shirt and essentials, like pumps. I like that I can remove the bladder completely by disconnecting the hose. It's light, but not very durable.

Dakine Nomad - GREAT compartments. Very smart. Best organized pack I own. I think it has hip pockets as well. Pretty comfortable. Durable. Attractive, for a pack. I switched the stock bladder for a Camelback. Worked great.

Osprey Zealot - Fits everything, although it's mostly just one big compartment. There are hip pockets for getting to tools or snacks quickly. Slot for pads and a helmet hook for carrying stuff you may need. I like the separate tool pouch that zips into the bottom. Durable, although the bite valve started leaking after about a year.

12. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I used camelback for years until I met Osprey. Camelback who???
    Currently have the Raptor 14l. Love everything about it. The funny thing, I just got all the essentials I need to ditch the pack. Gonna give Packless riding a whirl.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Redman check out the Dakine Hot Laps Stealth Hip pack. I talked about it in another thread. $35. Rides under your jersey, on your waist in a way you will never feel. Carries some essentials - spare parts, tools, nutrition, cell phone, keys, bandages, a small pump. I am enjoying the BACKPACKless life for short rides!

REI link

And here's the other thread on the same topic: Click Here.

14. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    "hip pack", "packless"... Hmmm:bang:

For the true, packless, experience, try not using a pack! :thumbsup:

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Backpackless was too cumbersome to say, but I will change it for accuracy. The stealth waist pack is not noticeable when I ride - at all. Feels packless. And I don't have Sh!t tied everywhere on my bike, like a super cool Endur-bro or stuffed into pockets like a dirt roadie. :thumbsup:

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I got a feed bag, a seat bag, and a down tube bag.
    The only thing on my back is @Luis eyes!

On rare occasions I will wear my Camelbak Charge 10. Nice pack if I need to carry a sandwich or layers of clothes...

17. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    LOL Like @rossage said, packless.
    I’ll reveal my new setup another time, to derail a different thread.

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    My current pack is my favorite pack. It's a DaKine Amp 12L. It's fit most everything I need. But I just ordered an Evoc FR Trail 20L, will see how I like that.

I also have had an Osprey Manta 34L. Great pack, but it was just too big for my use and gave it to a friend who uses it for bikepacking.

19. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    My top two brands I think are EVOC and Osprey

Danmtchl, mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  20. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I RARELY use a hydration pack. I prefer not to trap heat on my back, plus the clumsiness of having weight up high. But sometimes you have to.

I haven't tested it on the mountain bike yet, but the pack I got for ultra distance running is really lightweight and comfortable. Not sure how robust it would be in a wreck though. I think mine is an Ultimate Direction.

21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Packs are like 6" travel bikes.
    They might look cool, but who really needs them?

Most of my bikes have room for two bottle cages.
    The rest of the stuff fits into my "Dirt Roadie" outfit.
    I do own a small Fox pack (maybe 8L in size) that I never use.

23. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Osprey Syncro 10. The separate mesh panel is the killer app for me. I would
    not ever use another w/out such a panel. Most brands have a similar panel. I haven't
    had the need to use the lifetime warranty, esp since I got it on closeout at 1/2 price.

I also need/ride a 6" travel bike (170mm front/rear).

24. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  25. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    precisely!

26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Like several others I use the Osprey Syncro 10 and love it. I wear it pretty much every ride. My weekday rides are to and from work so I run it without the bladder but I'm always carrying some clothes and lunch as well as repair parts. Weekend rides get the 85oz bladder and since I'm part camel I've never needed more water. It does have 2 stretchy little side pockets that hold water bottles nicely though if needed. Bladder is super easy to install in the pack and the hose connects at the top so it's stupid simple. Favorite feature though is the magnetic hose holder. The framed mesh panel on the back keeps it slightly raised from your back and does allow pretty good airflow but your back still gets sweaty. For me it really carries nice on my back. Also have a Camelbak Mule NV but it's way heavier and doesn't breath as well.

Danmtchl, scan, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    2 bottles in my front triangle, snacks in my jersey. No sweaty back.

Danmtchl, HBkites, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  28. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I've never been a fan of bottles. I actually prefer wearing a pack to having bottle cages and junk strapped to my bike. I have a small amphipod belt that I wear on my DH bike. Usually only on bigger outings like Mammoth or Whistler where I can carry a few little tools, levers, a CO2 setup and things because walking down sucks.

https://www.rei.com/product/858247/amphipod-airflow-lite-runners-belt

24329780-15c2-46f4-9abb-550078e10277?size=784x588.jpg

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I use Osprey Syncro 15, for packing extra gear in winter, and Osprey Verve 10 for summer. Both packs are great:thumbsup:
    I also have an Osprey 65L for hiking
    PS, the Osprey Syncro has a waterproof cover stashed into a zipper at the bottom of the pack..just pull it up and over the top and you’re set..it’s genius, I’ve had to use it a few times,

Danmtchl, Oaken, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  30. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I actually hate having the weight of a pack on my back and I'm really crotchity when it has a bladder full of fluids. I much prefer to have bottles in cages if that covers the needs of a given ride.

On local rides from home, I carry a mini multi-tool and a sharp pocket knife and that's the extent of it. My wife or mom can rescue me if I flat or have a catastrophic failure.

Danmtchl, HBkites, herzalot and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?