Where did you come from?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by CBone, Jul 31, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Mikie's thread about where you want to retire got me thinking. We seem to have a diverse group here but are all joined by this crazy MTB thing.
    I'm just wondering where you grew up and how you ended up here - where ever your here is?
    I grew up in Alberta. Lived there, or at least called it home, until I was 25. Met my wife in college and she didn't want to live in the cold so we ended up in "the valley".
    When I was a kid we rode our bikes almost every day. This was before mtb or bmx. Yes, I'm old. Played sports in school and skied a bit as I got older.
    I found mountain biking through my son and started riding in 2011.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Born in Missouri but was transplanted to SoCal 9 months later, in August 1962.

I've lived in Salt Lake City, Millington TN, San Diego, visited most of the western US and a couple places back east.

I've been in CA roughly 52 years. As a teenager, mid 1970s, rode my bike everywhere. Regained bikes 5 years ago.

Cyclotourist, mike, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm a true So Cal local boy. Born in Glendale and lived within a few miles of it most of my life. The only exceptions to that are 2.5 years in Simi Valley and about 18 months in San Luis Obispo.

4. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    Vegas born baby! We call us the Vegas BAR (Born and Raised) nowadays.
    College in Atlanta, Ga and lived there an additional 4 years because my mind was blown by being in a normal city.
    LA since 2010

5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Born in Newport Beach, grew up in Irvine and moved to San Diego in 1986 for my job. Been in SD County ever since and will be here until 2022 when I pull up stakes for Prescott. Had dirt bikes from age 6-48, played organized baseball from age 8-21, have skied or snowboarded since age 17 and been riding mountain bikes since 1989. That first year I went to Mammoth and rode down the top half (I had to jump off at that point because my hands weren't working) of Kamikaze on a $600 RedLine MTB I bought from Sport Chalet.

6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    So much for being in a normal city...:p

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My wife and I are both from Western New York... And we both grew up on the shore of Lake Erie. 900 miles of coastline and completely frozen for a good part of the year. I can't imagine why anyone would leave. :whistling: :p

We married in 92 and skedaddled for Florida the day after the wedding... Ended up in SoCal in January 2006.

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Raised in Santa Ana. Currently live in Orange. My Grandma was born in a farmhouse in exotic Pomona, and the other side of the family didn’t come to Santa Ana until 1947. Does that make me new here?

Bought a Nishiki Cascade in 1990, rode it in the Santa Monicas a little in college, rode El Moro afterwards. Moved to the Peters Canyon area in 1997, to be close to dirt. Never left.

Cyclotourist, Redman, mike and 11 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Define normal. :p

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Podunk, IA. :thumbsup:

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Born in Culver City and raised in Palos Verdes till my parents moved us to Lake Isabella when I was 16. Don't ask me why they would do such a thing. Lived in Bakersfield since graduation of high school with a stint in Costa Mesa for 1 year.

I have always ridden bicycles, be it bmx, freestyle, road or mountain biking. My first mtb was a GT Timberline in 86.

Cyclotourist, Redman, mike and 12 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And my wife and I both looked at each other today... And remembered that it's our 26th anniversary! Oops... We've had a lot going on lately. :oops:

13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Your parents and my grandparents must have had the same realtor. My great grandfather had two cabins and the lot between them, on the water just up from Newport Pier. Grandma didn’t want the hassle so the family settled in the much nicer, new homes on the south side of Santa Ana.

14. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Born on Camp Pendleton. Living in OC. Not leaving anytime soon.

Cyclotourist, Redman, mike and 11 others like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Fun reading these responses:)
    I was born in Venice Beach,CA ..when the parents split my mom, sister and I moved to Malibu on PCH. Mom remarried and we moved to SF Valley, Hansen Dam Pony & Train Rides, (remember that place?) the parents ran the the pony rides etc. I was about 10 when we moved to Acton and built a house to live the ranch life, my twin and I rode our horses, bmx bikes and ATC’s. The parents built another house in Agua Dulce and I lived there until I married in “92. The hubby and I have spent all of our married yrs in Santa Clarita and Lake Elizabeth. Not super exciting, but this is not the end ;)

Cyclotourist, Redman, Stkx66 and 12 others like this.
  16. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Born and raised in Southern California.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    OC born and raised. Born in Santa Ana.....lived in Anaheim, Santa Ana, Orange, Anaheim Hills, Tustin Ranch and now in Orange. I think I have lived within the same 12 mile circle my entire life. It's all I know.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mtbMike and 17 others like this.
  18. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    born in Miami, but adopted as a newborn and grew up in Brooklyn and New Joisey. We moved to Mission Viejo when I was 12, then to Houston, TX for most of high school and a few years after that we moved back to California, my parents to Riverside but myself back to OC, met my wife a few years later (Laguna Beach native) in 1995 and lived in laguna beach since 96. I used to love OC but its just getting too overcrowded for us, we live near her elderly parents and aunt and they kind of need us around but we eventually want to move somewhere more peaceful, cooler and greener. In the mountains of course.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I was born a poor black child... (ooops, politically incorrect movie quote)

Born in Elmhurst Illinois, youngest of 9. Lived in Glen Ellyn, adjacent to Wheaton. Yes, raised Catholic.

Moved to Longmont CO when I was 8. Yay! Became addicted to skiing, and picked up tennis, golf and skateboarding. Rode bikes, but not BMX.

Moved to the San Luis Valley (CO) for high school and graduated in a class of nine. Interesting rural life. Began my illustrious ski racing career at 15 (Monarch Ski Area). By illustrious, I mean I was addicted, and just slightly better than mediocre. Raced through college at Fort Lewis College and later in Masters ski racing from age 30 to about 42. Also started whitewater kayaking at age 17 (Arkansas River mostly) and did that until I moved to CA. Met my wife in college, who was from Newport and Orange. Met in '82. Married in '89. We both started mt. biking in 1989.

Moved to CA in 1999. I was determined to learn to surf. Dropped the mt. biking for a while, but got back into it around 2002. Also picked up ice hockey, snowboarding and guitar after moving to CA. Yes, I waited until I was in CA before playing ice hockey. Go figure.

Enough about me. How about you?

20. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Born in raised in Miramichi, new brunswick, Canada for most of my life, outside of university in Fredericton and moncton only a couple hundred km away.
    Grew up with the woods behind my house, and the river on the front side. We had horses, but I was more interested in riding my kawasaki ke 100 in the woods and fields. Left bikes for a while in high school, gave a shot at skateboarding for about 10 years, but between waiting for winter to end, and recovery from rolled ankles, I really didn't progress very far. Played a lot of volleyball competitively through high school (and beyond) picking up some MVP and all star awards.

After my second round of university, I was having a lot of knee trouble because of jogging, so I went to the local bike shop, where I had used to buy my skateboards, with the intention of picking up a bike for fitness. I thought I would be mostly riding on the roads around my house, but somehow ended up buying my rock hopper29, because it had some offroad capability that peaked my interest. Tried the local trails and got hooked.

Moved to China, Beijing for 2 years to teach. Dated a girl from California and got engaged. Leaving China, went back to n.b for half a year waiting for fiancee visa, then made the move L.A.

Not sure how long we'll be here...or where/when to next

21. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia and now I'm here.

22. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Wait a minute. I thought you were French Canadian?

23. I am American, from America. The greatest country on earth, I sure @Sidewalk will agree.

24. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That was almost predictable. I expected better. :p

26. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    lol, my maternal grandmother! She was proud of that fact and told me and my sister that we were part French Canadian..maybe that shouldn’t count?;)

27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Stork baby here--
    Unknown.jpeg

Dropped in Lynwood. Crawled or was driven to Downey. Hunkered down through high school, then bailed for Mammoth. Long Beach in the "off-season" and eventually Mammoth year round. Trabuco now--wait it's been 20 years?--and where to next?

28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  29. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Military brat here. I was born on an Army base in Japan. Lived on bases in Japan, Alaska and Port Hueneme until my Dad retired and we settled in Northern CA when I was in grade school. Moved to Long Beach for college and stayed in Southern CA ever since. Pretty much making my way down the coast to where I am now in Carlsbad. Spent the bulk of my time down here in the Tustin Ranch/Irvine area. Been riding bikes my entire life, BMX, roadie and MTB. Took a long break when I got into dirt bikes and desert racing but came back to pedals a few years ago when I was trying to lose some weight and get back in shape. Went from 230 to the 190 +/- that I am now.

30. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Ok here it goes. Born in Covina, Ca. Raised in Chino from 5 yrs old to 23 yrs old. COWTOWN biatches!!!!!!! Started riding bicycles and MX at 4 or 5. My neighborhood was full of kids mostly older than me. All of which did one or both things....BMX & MX. These dudes had a huge influence on me. Watching them jump their bikes off the plywood and milk crate ramps at an early age set the tone for me. By 6 yrs old I was racing BMX weekly and riding moto a bunch w/ pops and the neighborhood crew. I raced BMX until I was in 7th grade 1986, when my race bike got stolen from the front of our local pet store. me and a friend were in there buying rats. My dad just told me... "I will never buy you a bicycle again". So, I asked for a skateboard. Rode skateboards until... well I still do. Mostly only pool skating w/ a few old friends. Mountain Bikes came into play around 1991, I was in a bike shop buying some tubes for my beach crusier and I saw some of these new bikes people are calling Mountain Bikes, I was intrigued. A few weeks later I purchased my first MTB, a Cannondale fully rigid Killer V. Pedaled that thing all over the hills in chino, fontana, la verne areas. 6 months later I got a part time job at the LBS. I worked there a few days a week after my full time job for almost 3 years. Building trick bikes and riding lots of trails around so cal. In 1996 I moved to Huntington Beach, sold the MTB a few months later. I used 1/2 the money to go to Whistler for a week on a snowboard trip and the other 1/2 was used to put down on a new YZ 125 dirt bike. Rode moto religously until about 4 yrs ago, cause MTB'ing had taken over. I hadn't ridden MTB trail since 96', but I did have an old DiamondBack 26er that I would cruise around the beach now and then. Around 2008 I was working in Fullerton. Two guys I worked with had just bought MTB's and were going to start riding the FLOOP. I was like... I used to ride the FLOOP way back in the early 90's. So, I went with them one day AND just about died. BUT, I was hooked again. Rode the DiamondBack for about a year, then bought a used fully that I rode until I bought my glorious Nomad.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?